Hardware external arpeggiator: is there any?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Hardware external arpeggiator: is there any?

Postby fh991586 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

I like arpeggiators. Most of the reason why I'd get a Jupiter 4 or 8 would simply be to try on the arp endlessly... But not all synths offer that on-board effect! Looks like the golden age was from 1978 to 1983...

So my question is: is there an external module available for arpeggiator? Just to plug into modern synth (via midi?) to add the function to arp-less synths? I've heard about the Oberheim Cyclone (never saw one) but they don't seem to be reliable... If I'd prefer not to use a computer interface, is there any way for me to produce some arpeggios on a synth that doesn't have one built-in? The basics would be Up, Down, Up/Down and Random, for 2 octaves or more.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho
fh991586

Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid, Midines

Re: Hardware external arpeggiator: is there any?

Postby pricklyrobot » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:38 pm

MIDIpal: http://www.mutable-instruments.net/midipal Does loads more too! ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby GuyaGuy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 pm

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Z » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Akai ME20A
MAM MAP-1
Oberheim Cyclone

I like to use the Roland Fantom X6's built-in arpeggiator to trigger other instruments, including vintage analog monosynths via MIDI to CV/Gate converter. Here's a video I made a couple of years ago using the X6 to trigger my Tom Oberheim Patch Panel SEM (recently upgraded to SEM-PRO):
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby fh991586 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for the different options! Did any of you ever try one of these?

Do you know of any other synths that the onboard arp can trigger other synths? It might be too big and costly for me (my setup is already oversized), but I'll keep that in mind if any of them ever show up around here...

I have nothing labeled Apple, so the iPod thing is as relevant as a software for me.
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho
fh991586

Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid, Midines

Postby fh991586 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't know why the similar topics down this page now refers me to another thread on the subject. I tried the forum search, but it didn't show up earlier before I got tired of getting the non-related threads... Sorry for this.
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho
fh991586

Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid, Midines

Postby bhrama » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:MIDIpal: http://www.mutable-instruments.net/midipal Does loads more too! ;)

This looks interesting for sure!
bhrama

Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Postby madtheory » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 pm

The Oberheim Cyclone has two problems- you need the 1.1 OS, and you need to put a diode in the PSU path to avoid blowing the whole thing with reversed polarity. Or don't ever disconnect the PSU. Apart from that it's rock solid and does a lot more than any other device apart from the Zyklus.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby phesago » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Z wrote:I like to use the Roland Fantom X6's built-in arpeggiator to trigger other instruments, including vintage analog monosynths via MIDI to CV/Gate converter.

Same, but with a Triton. Not too shabby I might add
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Postby Zamise » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Alesis Micron has a great programable arp, sends out midi and recieves to it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby balma » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:07 am

E-mu Command Station or Proteus 2500 module (but it would be a shame to use them only for arps) can transmit a max of 32 arpeggios at the same time, using 2 MIDI outputs.

It has classic arps (up, down, alternate, etc) plus 100 user programmable arppegio patterns (32 notes, with note length, velo, pitch, repetition, rest, tie, legato, etc, loop, hold, etc etc) and 200-300 factory patterns (can be expanded adding more ROMs). They can be looped whole or over specific segments, and some parameters can be assigned to programmable knobs.

Each arpeggio can be assigned to the 32 MIDI A and B channels, and a global master arpeggiator can also be layered to all the channels at the same time.

There is a second even more complex arppegiator (BEATS section) wich can transmit pre-made complex sequences like arppegiators, using multiple MIDI channels. Notes can be modified, but they can be turned on and off individually on the super beats arps. Each ROM has around 200-300 different beat patterns.

In fact they have the best onboard arppegiator I have used on a synth.

$350.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:32 am

balma wrote:In fact they have the best onboard arppegiator I have used on a synth
:o If it's better than the Fizmo's arppegiator, that's a damn good arpegiator...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby balma » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:47 am

WTF you have a Fizmo! je je

I had a Karma, wich has a reputation of having a super arpeggiator. But it sucks when you compare it with the E-mu´s arpeggio concept.

But that´s according to my parameters. I take in consideration, how easy are they to be manipulated on different ways, how flexible can they be when operating them on real time, or when programming note by note and storing them, how easy can you access the arp directory. CAn they be tweaked with controllers? can you go to a specific note and modify pitch, note value, velo, gate time etc? How fast can you browse and assign an arpeggio to a sequence or a MIDI channel? make them shorter or longer?

On the EMu, you can choose a master arpeggio, or a specific arpeggio for each one of the sequencer channels. A single pattern, can perform and transmit 32 arpeggios at the same time. With specific controllers for each one of them depending of the patch you are using. And layer, the BEATS sequences, wich are also arpeggios. And they can be sync to MIDI clock, and being transmitted to external devices.

The 100 user arpeggiators are stored on the GLOBAL menu. YOu create one, you don´t even need to save it before turning off the synth, they remain stored on a location appart from the preset menu, as if they were part of the factory presets.

I also love the V-synths arpeggio, you can program sequences for each one of the presets (512). Arpeggios are stored together with the patch associated to it. And they can sequence not only notes, but chords and parameters.
And layer a motion sequence over them. The problem is programming the notes for them, is a pain in the a*s, since you must use cursor diving over a huge matrix.

The arppeggio of the FIZMO is awesome, but the f**k OS of the Fizmo (along with its tiny screen) brings a lot of limitations and inconveniences when programming them. Pluse there are only 64 slots for arps/presets
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Hugo76 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:55 pm

@ balma:
What you say about the E-mu arpeggiator is really interesting, and makes me seriouslyconsider getting one. I also have a V-Synth, which has a great arp, and an M3, which supposedly has an insane arp in the form of the Karma technology. Problem is you can't program your own patterns on the machine itself, you have to get the software. Which I did, but is it not exactly intuitive, to put it mildly. I'd rather have an programmable arp n the M3, than the Karma tech.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby zoomtheline » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Waldorf Gecko, you'd be hard pushed to find one though.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Next

Return to General Synthesizers