Hardware external arpeggiator: is there any?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Hardware external arpeggiator: is there any?

Post by balma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:16 am

Hugo76 wrote:@ balma:
What you say about the E-mu arpeggiator is really interesting, and makes me seriouslyconsider getting one.
:D It seems suspicious that I recommend the E-mu CS for a lot of different applications. They still in the shadows and being sold under $500 maybe because -the most common model, the purple MP-7, was aimed to the hip hop market, the presets are awful, and there are prejuices over the rompler synthesis.

But the truth is:
They have an outstanding powerful sequencer with tons of features and multiple tools to handle external gear.
They are romplers with a vast modulation matrix, allowing 96 patchcords per patch, fully assignable to controllers.
The arpeggiator concept is really a beauty. A vast world of versatile features to explore.
There are 50 filters to choose from, with dedicated filters for vocals, basses, rings, etc.

Plus 128 poly, internal chorus effect for each layer inside presets (from 4 to 12 chorus per patch), almost each parameter is syncable with the tempo/ MIDI clock, 15 LFOS, lots of random parameters, pink, white noise, and you can even design your own LFOs using clock dividers. etc etc.

The result is a synth wich can produce a infinite amount of original sounds, with a sequencer. It´s madness they cost around $350. Around 8 years using them, and I can´t stop getting impressed with their power.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm

@ balma:
Very interesting, thanks for the info. I am wondering, however, if the somewhat small screen poses challenges to navigating around the OS, and not least when it comes to sequencing. What are your thoughts on this?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah the menu cursor diving inside that tiny screen is s**t. It does not help when programming presets.
There is a second LCD screen wich helps with global parameters.

When designing your own presets accessing some information and changing certain parameters requires a lot of modwheel, cursor _Up and _Down browsing. Inside one tiny screen, you must scroll through the 24 mod matrix programmable chords. And this is, for each instrument layer, and you can have from 4 to 12 instruments inside a patch.
So some types of patches, can take hours to be designed.

The 16 programmable knobs are a relief once they are programmed to fulfill certain functions. Programming patches is the nightmare because It allows full programmation from zero, rebuilding all the patch´s structure. You can use the ADSR curves, for something else than just filter/pitch/amp common settings. They can modulate anything you want, an ADSR can modulate the chorus amount, or the LFO presence, LFO rate, etc etc.

Despite the screen´s size issue, the sequencer functions are really intuitive to access and perform. Hold ERASE button, and touch a track button to erase it. Hold shift and play, and you can bring ANY track from any pattern, to the current pattern playing. Go to any screen, without pressing stop. It allows fully edition of almost everything on play mode.

Hold Rec and Play, and the knobs become note triggers. Press select, and now they control the 16 tracks volume, again press select, and they now control the pan, or external MIDI data, or to tweak patches. The sequencer is f**k awesome, is VERY well designed and really fast. I´ve never sequenced my music with a computer thanks to it. The key for a efficient sequencing method, is a powerful interaction between 16 knobs, 16 track triggers and the pad keyboard.

BTW, this tiny screen is the same screen on the WALDORF Q models, something I also hate from my Micro Q. The Micro Q is even harder to program....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Very interesting info, thanks again. It looks like a great machine, but the tiny screen is a bit discouraging. Read somewhere about computer patch editors, these would probably be the way to go for me. But, then again, the main appeal with such boxes is the elimination of the computer in the music making process. An editor for the iPad would be acceptable, though. I have had my share of synths with small screens, and it does slow me down a lot.

I think I'll stick with my Yamaha RS7000 for the time being, but if I come across a good deal on the Command Station, I might pick it up. The arp section in particular looks sick :)

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:49 am

Well, what do you know! I just found out that the JP-8080 could send arp signals by midi! I never hooked the midi "out" before, and I decided to give it a try to see if my MKS-50 was well plugged in the rack (there's an octave of keys available and I didn't want to power up a keayboard). I'm not used to rackmount unit to do that, since most don't have anything to send signals from!

But it works, so I don't have to buy another gizmo for now... 8-)
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Eli

Post by Eli » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 pm

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:59 pm

I bought the Arpeggio in the original Kickstarter campaign in Fall 2015, but it's almost 3 years late in the project, so I'd say don't pre-order it until there's a physical proof it has been made!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho