OB12 for Berlin school music tips to make it sound vintage ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SOLAR77

OB12 for Berlin school music tips to make it sound vintage ?

Post by SOLAR77 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I bought the Oberheim OB12, while I have been reading mixed opinions about it, I was quite underwhelmed by the sound and presets, but I Know the presets does not give the best picture of this synth. so my hope is not up yet.

I need some advices and tips and trixs to make it sound more analog/fat/vintage.

The reason I bought this synth was cause I really like the interface and layout, but also cause Ken Martin, one of my favorite artist of electronic Berlin school music.

I think when listening to his albums I think he use heavily the overdrive tubes and drive them quite hard...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: OB12 for Berlin school music tips to make it sound vinta

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:10 pm

More analog and vintage?

Stick to waveforms available in the 60s and 70s analogs (saw, square, pulse, triangle, since) and use either ring mod or FM if available to create more complex waveforms.

If the EGs offer more stages than ADSR, avoid using the extra stages.

Don't use a lot of effects, about all that was around in the 70s was spring reverb, phasers and tape delay.

Don't make use of velocity or aftertouch in your patches, these weren't common until the late 80s.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 am

...also, learn what all the functions of the synth do, and how they interact. Knowing how to tweak a synth is sometimes more important than knowing how to play keys.
Bassist, synth junkie

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:37 am

Rick N Boogie wrote:...also, learn what all the functions of the synth do, and how they interact. Knowing how to tweak a synth is sometimes more important than knowing how to play keys.
Whew, glad to hear that 'cuz I sure as h**l can't play keys!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 am

Do you want it for the stringy chord Berlins school thing or the bubbling bass thing? If the strings then running it through an analogue phaser like a small stone would do the trick; if bass then something like an MF-101 would work well. I imagine you'd have more luck using it for stringy stuff than bass though. Berlin school stuff is all about the fx so get some and experiment with them.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I always found the OB-12 better at strings/pads and that type of thing rather than bass & arps/sequenced bits, that's not to say it can't do the bass & arps acceptably if tweaked. A relatively simple monosynth might be a good idea to complement the OB-12 to handle bass & arps, something like a Doepfer Dark Energy maybe.

As Stab says the effects are very important. Plenty of reverb (spring or plate), various delays (tape or tape style/emulation, etc) and phasing are pretty essential as well as some chorus/flanging. Good use of effects can add a "vintage" sound to even the most modern "non-vintage sounding" synths. Avoid too much compression also, dynamic range is your friend ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

SOLAR77

Post by SOLAR77 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Do you want it for the stringy chord Berlins school thing or the bubbling bass thing? If the strings then running it through an analogue phaser like a small stone would do the trick; if bass then something like an MF-101 would work well. I imagine you'd have more luck using it for stringy stuff than bass though. Berlin school stuff is all about the fx so get some and experiment with them.
I guess it is mainly the stringy stuff...

Yeah Phaser is important, but just as important is probably a analog/tube pre amp, when using wavearts tube saturator, and drive it kind of hard, the ob12 sounds now very much more analog then before!...
I like that plugin... the only do[/mp3]wnside is it use a lot of cpu so I can only use one instance per session..usually on the master bus. and Slate digital FG-X

Also D16 Toraverb is good if you want an old school sound, but I sometimes mix it with my lexicon pcm native when I want a more mordern 3D sound..

SSL Bus compressor really help to make it sound more fat.

Just made two simple recordings to try it out, just presets!!!
But I can say that it made a dramtic difference, sounds like a new synth.
I guess for this synth you need a lot of external sound processing to make it sound good..

SOLAR77

Post by SOLAR77 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:05 pm

added one more recording, this time with more extreme treble settings, I think I do not get much closer to analog.Thiw as the first patch on the OB 12 called "OB fat pad" I think I have have grasped the possibilties of this synth. it can be good for pads, and some cool digital sounding sounds, it is horrible for leads!
really cause it sounds too thin.. anyway for lo-fi 90s music it will fit perfect..

Same recording with Lexicon reverb

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05 am

The OB-12 to my ears sounds just as analog as any other synthesizer. The waveforms sound nice as does the filter. Not sure what advice to give you other than to learn how to program the various sounds you are after. Perhaps invest in a synthesizer "cookbook" of recipes for analog sounds. You can pretty much create a million different analog-sounding things with the OB-12. I have used mine to great extent to create lush pads/strings, industrial sounding leads, beautifully haunting bells and Rhodes-like timbres, deep sub-basses and clicky basses (the on-board EQ is great for fattening up the bass), noise and wind effects, weird sounds, etc. The possibilities are endless.

In fact I find the OB-12 such a good replicator of analog sounds, I sold my Arp Odyssey and replaced it with the OB-12. I've had great success recreating my favorite sounds of the Odyssey with the OB-12. I even still use some of the recipes for sounds that came from the Odyssey, except created on the OB-12. I was able to create very similar basses and flutes with the OB-12, as well as the more grungy and lo-fi sounding electric guitar/ring mod sounds. However, the ring mod on the OB-12 is much "cleaner" than the Odyssey's ring mod, so I haven't been able to create the exact sound of the Odyssey on the OB-12, but it's close enough that I don't mind the slight differences at all.

Try learning all the features of the synth. The EQ is great with many different uses and the FX section is very useable. Keep experimenting and learning and you should be able to recreate many classic analog sounds with your OB-12. Good luck.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 am

SOLAR77 wrote:Yeah Phaser is important, but just as important is probably a analog/tube pre amp, when using wavearts tube saturator, and drive it kind of hard, the ob12 sounds now very much more analog then before!...
I think you have a warped idea of what analogue means. Perhaps you like the sound of that overdrive, but it doesn't make things sound 'analogue'. For a start analogue isn't a sound, it's a process of generating sounds and can therefore sound as clean or as dirty as you make it. A digital synth through a saturator plugin isn't analogue though. That first video you posted doesn't sound particularly like analogue synths either.

I think people get the idea in their heads that 'analogue' or 'vintage' equals good, but that's just not the case. There are plenty of good sounds you can make that are both modern and digital sounding but also good.

SOLAR77

Post by SOLAR77 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
SOLAR77 wrote:Yeah Phaser is important, but just as important is probably a analog/tube pre amp, when using wavearts tube saturator, and drive it kind of hard, the ob12 sounds now very much more analog then before!...
I think you have a warped idea of what analogue means. Perhaps you like the sound of that overdrive, but it doesn't make things sound 'analogue'. For a start analogue isn't a sound, it's a process of generating sounds and can therefore sound as clean or as dirty as you make it. A digital synth through a saturator plugin isn't analogue though. That first video you posted doesn't sound particularly like analogue synths either.

I think people get the idea in their heads that 'analogue' or 'vintage' equals good, but that's just not the case. There are plenty of good sounds you can make that are both modern and digital sounding but also good.
I know the difference between viritual analogue and true analogue. For me Analouge sound does maan a sound with certain charicaristics. The problem with viritual analog today is that the processor power or the current algoritms available does not replicate the sound of analogue, but the field of viritual analgue is changing rapidilly ,and we are going to a time where it gets impossible to hear the difference. For instance digital slate plugins are very very impressive. If these plugins give all the same charicaristics I do not need se the wrong in doing that..

But yeah today true analoge is still very hard to replicate but there is a few plugs out there that does sound 100% analogue.