EMW-200

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

EMW-200

Post by MPS » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 am

I got my hands on this new synth from Electronic Music Works in Brazil. It 's called EMW-200 because it is a tribute edition of an ElectroComp EML-200.

Pictures, a review and audio demo here...
http://www.atomicshadow.com/1/post/2012 ... eview.html

I am very impressed with the sound and the build quality.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: EMW-200

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:53 am

Very nice. $1299 is a tempting price I thought I heard something closer to 2k originally. Might have to buy that one day when I have more money again like never. Would be nice to hear some clangy FM to get the sense of that real EML sound but it sounds nice for what it is on its own and the more compact size is a plus.

In your writeup you mentioned only 100-150 were produced but it's actually closer to 500-1000. These were in production for a long time and in many schools and universities. You have it mixed up with the precursor to the EML 101, the EML 100.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:17 pm

MPS,

You're the first person who has actually gotten an EMW synth. How difficult was it?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

MPS

Post by MPS » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Meatball (if that is, in fact, your real name sir!),
I saw a teaser video of this instrument on Matrixsynth some months ago. I tracked down the company website and wrote for more information. Then I pestered Paulo until he sold me the first one. You can contact him at ...
info@electronicmusicworks.com

I just found out that there are no plans to sell these through dealers, but the plan is direct to the public. I sent the payment via PayPal and he dropped it in the Postal Servive in Brazil and provided a tracking number. So I was able to track it from there until it was handed off to the USPS, at that point the same tracking number showed up on the USPS tracking site. Smooth, and professional. It took 7 days from Brazil to the western United States.

I noticed that Matrixsynth has information of a slightly higher price tag, so I am going to run that down and get the Offical word. He also had some information about how the electronic design was updated in the EML-200 and broke the news that Paulo will also produce an update clone of the EML-300 companion controller. This is great news!

On the topic of how many EML-200s were produced the number I cited in my review was from an article I read some time ago and from memeory (which isn't what it used to be). The number cited above of 500-1,000 is at odds with Mark Vail's Vintage Synthesizers book that cites 400. So I am curious where those numbers came from so I can try and pin down a number to correct my article. Even at 1,000 units the EML-200 is still a very rare item. You rarely see one on EBay. I think you probably see 10 or 12 ARP-2600s for every 1 EML-200 that appears there.

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Dale Blake of EML gave the number between 500-1000. Read it in an old Matrixsynth article. There are lots of inaccuracies in that Vintage Synthesizers book. Most of that book is culled from Keyboard magazine articles written in the pre-Internet era when fact checking wasn't as easy.

Yes, still limited and rare, but there's a big difference between 100-150 and 500 or 1000 in the analog synthesizer world. Lots of other analog synths have had similar sized runs to the EML 200. It is rare but not ridiculously rare.

Few more questions.

How close to an original 200 do you think it sounds? How well does it comparitvely function? I noticed you have one beside it in one of the pictures. Depending on the price, I am very excited about the possibility of the 300 being redeveloped as I already have a 100 and am thinking of adding a 101 or 200 or EMW 200 to it down the road.

2) It sounds like you had to really bug Paulo to make you one. Is he actually interested in making a decent run of these? Did you put a full deposit down? Or partial? Or did you pay once he was finished? If I wanted one, would I actually get one? How long was your wait?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

MPS

Post by MPS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 am

I waited quite a long time while it was in development. Paulo estimates about 30 days of lead time if you place an order. I am not certain if he requires full payment or deposit for an order. I paid in full once the unit was ready to ship. Contact Paulo at info@electronicmusicworkshop.com

As I said in the review I had no way of comparing it to the original. Paulo owns one, I don't. He told me that every effort was made to keep it as close to the original as possible.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm

It doesn't have the reverb does it? That's what I found the most useful when I had an EML 200...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Nope. Replaced with a digital delay. But if I were to buy one I could live with it. Have lots of reverbs and a couple of spring ones.

MPS

Post by MPS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Here is a short demo video that I made earlier today.

jimmight

Post by jimmight » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for lettin gme know about OS. 5! The extra filters and envelopes really add a lot. Sort of glad I didn't sell my virus!
jimmight