Kiwi-3p - Experiences?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
adhmzaiusz

Re: Kiwi-3p - Experiences?

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:As for adhmzaiusz keeping KIWI-3P even with JP-8 around, I assume that it's because of the velocity/aftertouch - none of his other analog Rolands do that.
Haven't tried that yet.. in order to use those features you need to play with a controller that has V/AT. I just like the sound of the 3p, it has a nice tight low end.
‹‡›

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:45 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
DesolationBlvd wrote:As for adhmzaiusz keeping KIWI-3P even with JP-8 around, I assume that it's because of the velocity/aftertouch - none of his other analog Rolands do that.
Haven't tried that yet.. in order to use those features you need to play with a controller that has V/AT. I just like the sound of the 3p, it has a nice tight low end.
Oh yeah - forgot that the JX is DCO while the others are VCO. Okay, maybe I was clouded by love when I said I preferred MKS-30 over 80 and wanted to sell 80. The truth remains that JX-3P / MKS-30 are still great sounding machines, holding their own against JX-8P + PG-800, little Matrix series, and Prophet-600.

The worst thing about MKS-30 (the real reason an upgrade is needed) is that there is no "mono" mode. Isn't Omni Off / Mono the preferred mode for guitar synths? I really want to MIDI up one of my guitars so I can turn the MKS-30 into GR-700.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

sfxgligli
Gear: SCI Prophet 600 with p600fw
Yamaha RX5 with rx5usb
Korg Mono/Poly
SCI SixTrak
MFB-522
Ibanez UE-405
Fostex Model 80

Post by sfxgligli » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm

I have a Kiwi-3P, I fitted it myself, and even if I'm usually good at soldering, this was really tricky, but totally worth it!

In my opinion, and besides fitting, the cons are that it makes the PG-200 much less usefull, I mean when I tried it, editting while playing often had glitches and you couldn't access the new params (second env, lfo ,...), also the sound is slightly different from an original 3P, not better or worse, just not the exact same.

As for pros, well everything else, including MIDI CC for everything, second env, portamento, unison, ...

Also, I bought a Kiwi patch editor, and it makes the Kiwi-3P really easy to edit, so favor that one instead of a PG-200 to go with it I think. Not to mention It works with many other knob-less synths :)
My music: http://soundcloud.com/gligli
My SCI Prophet 600 firmware upgrade: http://gligli.github.io/p600fw/
My Yamaha RX5 programmable waveform cartridge: http://github.com/gligli/rx5usb

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 pm

sfxgligli wrote:also the sound is slightly different from an original 3P, not better or worse, just not the exact same.
Maybe since new sounds are possible with detuning, unison and new envs. I have a modded 3p and an unmodded 3p. They still sound the same as far as oscillator waveforms and sound in general. Not sure also if the presets threw you off since they are only approximations of the originals?
‹‡›

sfxgligli
Gear: SCI Prophet 600 with p600fw
Yamaha RX5 with rx5usb
Korg Mono/Poly
SCI SixTrak
MFB-522
Ibanez UE-405
Fostex Model 80

Post by sfxgligli » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Yeah, many of the presets do sound quite different, but that's not what I meant, I think it has to do with the input level of the VCAs.

With the Kiwi mod, there's adjustable velocity, and depending on it, the VCAs seem more or less overdriven, up to saturation with high resonance, and I can't find the velocity setting that mimics an unmodded 3P.

Again the difference is quite subtle, and anyway I like the way velocity makes the sound dirtier on the Kiwi-3P, in fact I prolly shouldn't have mentionned that in my cons paragraph, it's more like a pro :)
My music: http://soundcloud.com/gligli
My SCI Prophet 600 firmware upgrade: http://gligli.github.io/p600fw/
My Yamaha RX5 programmable waveform cartridge: http://github.com/gligli/rx5usb

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:57 pm

I was interested in the mod but didn't go for it in the end.. Sold the 3P for a crazy 365 quid on ebay and got a 3 other junky synths/samplers all of which I use and have way more fun with than I ever did with the three pee pee

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 pm

sfxgligli wrote:Yeah, many of the presets do sound quite different, but that's not what I meant, I think it has to do with the input level of the VCAs.

With the Kiwi mod, there's adjustable velocity, and depending on it, the VCAs seem more or less overdriven, up to saturation with high resonance, and I can't find the velocity setting that mimics an unmodded 3P.

Again the difference is quite subtle, and anyway I like the way velocity makes the sound dirtier on the Kiwi-3P, in fact I prolly shouldn't have mentionned that in my cons paragraph, it's more like a pro :)
I usually can't be bothered with hooking up master keyboards and stuff so this wouldn't really be an issue for me. I've sort of lost interest with the KIWI mod now anyway. I figure I might as well sell the JX-3p and use the money to get a JX-10.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:56 am

Dr. Phibes wrote:I've sort of lost interest with the KIWI mod now anyway. I figure I might as well sell the JX-3p and use the money to get a JX-10.
Just you wait, when one of us kiwi people make a video it will make all the unbelievers drool and become all GAS-sy!!
...errr well, maybe one day. I'm lazy... :?
‹‡›

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Dr. Phibes wrote:
sfxgligli wrote:Yeah, many of the presets do sound quite different, but that's not what I meant, I think it has to do with the input level of the VCAs.

I usually can't be bothered with hooking up master keyboards and stuff so this wouldn't really be an issue for me. I've sort of lost interest with the KIWI mod now anyway. I figure I might as well sell the JX-3p and use the money to get a JX-10.

JX-10 has very little in common with the sound of the 3P! I had an 8P and it was way down my list of keepers vs my 3P which has seen off stiff competition from many rival synths I have bought and sold. JX-10 is a different kind of synth entirely, it has none of the character or vibe, or tight sound of the 3P. I really don't like the 8P sound anymore even though I enjoyed my time with it, it got old to my ears way before the 3P could (and in fact I'm still finding new sounds on my Organix modded 3P+BCR2000 that make me smile - it sounds so good when you hit the sweet spots!)

The lack of decent info for such a costly mod is annoying though (by info I mean real music video demonstrations of the extra features esp the mono/unison modes and the extra LFO/ENV). I'm still interested in switching mods but at that price?? I need more convincing.

I would also like to mod it to make it possible (at the flick of a switch) to revert the 3P to original mode (save for those aprox presets) and read something about being able to install the new board piggyback onto the orignal CPU if you short out some pins on the original CPU (this could be done via switches) - is this really possible? and safe? Maybe I'll email Murray and ask if he knows. Would be ideal and would make the mod a lot easier to fit too.

Don T wrote: In all honesty though, I was already predisposed to the idea since I've long since come to the inescapable conclusion that this is a modification designed and produced by Murray Hewitt.

:lol: I love FOTC! I can imagine him trying to sell this mod from his office, instead of working on what he's paid to do.
Last edited by Pro5 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 pm

I have to agree with you, I recently played a JX-8P and spent some time with one and I have to say I personally preferred the sound of my old JX-3P by a mile. If I was to choose between the 8 and 3 it would definitely be the 3 I would be going for, can't comment on the 10 as I've never played one (2x 8P's innit?)
Last edited by vinyl_junkie on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:I have to agree with you, I recently played a JX-8P and spent some time with one and I have to say I personally preferred the sound of my old JX-3P by a mile. If I was to choose between the 8 and 3 it would definitely be the 3 I would be going for, can't comment on the 10 as I've never played one
well the 10 is basically very similar to the 8 but with layering (and is poss slightly smoother though less warm). Those two belong in the same sound category while the 3P is in a category all of it's own :)

I remember when I bought my 8P off a local guy who actually works at Roland, he's a bit of a Roland fan with it. As I collected it I told him "I also have a 3P" and he said "niiice, in all honesty you probably will prefer the 3P but this has it's uses" and that is from the guy SELLING it to me! haha. He was right too. He knew his stuff. 8-)

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Yeah, I tried out a 8P since making this thread. I didn't have much time with it but on the whole I think I still prefer the 3P's overall tone.

I've got the KIWI box sitting next to me right now but I want to fix up an old JX-3p I picked up last week before installing it.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Right on! Do you have any decent desoldering equipment? That 40 pin 8031 chip can be a real nuisance
‹‡›

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Oh yeah, got a new desoldering station a few days ago. Still going to be a hassle though, but I'm tough Image

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 am

Well I finally got around to installing the upgrade today. I've only just scratched the surface of all the new features but I've got to say I'm pretty damn impressed by it so far: it has transformed the Jx-3p.

And I see what people mean about the new control interface - once you've got a hang of the fundamentals it is really quite logical.