Yamaha EX5 Questions.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Oppression
Gear: Access Virus Indigo2
Korg Z1
Roland JP-8080
Roland Juno-106
Roland MKS-50 +Pg-300

Various VSTi's

Yamaha EX5 Questions.

Post by Oppression » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

can the yamaha ex5 do a choir type sound? the korgZ1 can do a pretty good digital sounding 'choir'. i no longer have my Z1 and am looking into a Ex5 - i saw a few demos on youtube not a bad synth at all but I never once heard any choir type sound. any ex5 users out there know if this thing is capable of breathy choir type pads?

Also is the Ex5 and EX5R EXACTLY the same engine or is there a difference like say the jp8000 and jp8080?

How are the keys/action compared to the Z1? good action semi weighted? or weak and light? if its similiar to the an1x id be happy enough.

my alternative would be to turn to Kontakt but i dont know what to get for choir type stuff for that software. open to suggestions and thanks guys!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Yamaha EX5 Questions.

Post by balma » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 pm

There are no differences between the EX5 and the EX5R´s engine.
Keys are lightweight, standard quality....

They have sampling option, so it can do choirs, just load some choir samples. The ones provided on the ROM memory aren´t great, just good or average choirs.
Samples are not retained when the synth is turned off, unless you have nonflash SIMMS installed.

The EX5 can produce a vast amount of sounds of high quality, it has VL, VA, rompler and sampler technologies, plus 10 unique great effects named as FDSP effects. Combination of these multiple engines can result in very interesting stuff.

But it has the worst operative system I´ve used on a synth. Is f**k slow and full of bugs.

I´ve owned this synth for more than 10 years. In my opinion, it worths the $$$ only if you want Virtual Acoustic technology (not very common nowadays) and other features like having 10 complex and weird effects that cannot be found on any other synth. The Virtual Analog is poor compared with modern VA models, and the whole system, is a f**k mess.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... &start=195
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Oppression
Korg Z1
Roland JP-8080
Roland Juno-106
Roland MKS-50 +Pg-300

Various VSTi's

Post by Oppression » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 pm

ok cool! so what is the newest OS for this unit?

and by 'choir sound' i didnt mean a real choir i meant more of a pad that sounds very choir like.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Oppression wrote:and by 'choir sound' i didnt mean a real choir i meant more of a pad that sounds very choir like.
Even in digital synths these usually involve some sort of choir sample, even if it's part of a pcm. I think you can use the format feature on the radias for instance to aproximate vocal tones though, but it doesn't have the classic "synth" Choir sound. I think D-collector posted a link that has a pretty great one in the sampling section of this site.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Oppression
Korg Z1
Roland JP-8080
Roland Juno-106
Roland MKS-50 +Pg-300

Various VSTi's

Post by Oppression » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 pm

ok did some more research yes it can do what i want it to. hopefully as good as what the Z1 did for me. may have to get another z1 eventually that was a wicked controller not to mention MOSS is insane if you know how to program! hmm i think i will post in shootout these 2 synths.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 am

There's a guy selling the latest OS ROMs on eBay. I ordered a pair from him but have yet to install them in my EX5r. Look for one with the SCSI card and FLASH RAM installed.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 am

There's a guy selling the latest OS ROMs on eBay. I ordered a pair from him but have yet to install them in my EX5r. Look for one with the SCSI card and FLASH RAM installed.

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm

I really like the breathy choir pad type sounds in the EX5. I haven't used a Z1 so can't offer comparisons, but I think the EX5 makes a great pad machine. I bought one in 98, upgraded the roms soon after and haven't experienced any bugs or OS issues since.

There are two big issues with the EX5 though... Firstly the SCSI is slow when loading and saving a large amount of samples. So, if you want to make serious use of the sampler, I'd recommend finding an EX5 with the flash RAM board installed. Secondly, the timing suffers when playing back several parts at once. Fine for ambient music, but not great for tight rock/pop/dance arrangements. The problem is lack of DSP power for the synth engine - the sequencer itself is rock solid when sequencing external synths (it has two midi outputs). The EX5 sequencer is actually great and could even do one or two things Cubase couldn't at the time it was released.

Keybed is great and what I would describe as a semi-weighted synth-action. Unlike some synths where a weight is superglued under the front of the key, Yamaha I think have a weight in the middle of the keys so the action is balanced, making it very easy to control dynamics. Very similar to other top-end Yamaha synths in feel - DX7, SY77 etc. I really like it.

Overall I think the EX5 is a great sounding machine, with a good sequencer, but I wouldn't recommend it be used as a standalone workstation due to the lack of dsp power. Mine still gets plenty of use alongside some other synths and I currently have no intention of replacing it. :)