Wavetable vs Transwave Synthesis

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Wavetable vs Transwave Synthesis

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:19 pm

impaler42 wrote:Both were replaced. I bought it for $1000, which is kind of steep. But its a rare board which is hard to find, and I hear these are going up in value.

that seems to be what they are generally going for these days.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Sir Nose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
impaler42 wrote:Both were replaced. I bought it for $1000, which is kind of steep. But its a rare board which is hard to find, and I hear these are going up in value.

Fizmo doubled in price over the last 3 years.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby calyx93 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:29 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:The difference between waldorf wavetable synthesis and the fizmo transwaves is that the waldorf takes the +side of the signal, duplicates it, and inverts it to make the negative side of the output AC wave. This is unnatural sounding as the + side of the phase isn't necessarily the same as the - side of the phase in acoustics. So, all microwave outputs are symmetrical. conversely, the fizmo outputs are made by using additive sine waves that are all through zero, perfect 360 degree phasing. this was found by recording the raw outputs, no filtering.

Mostly true. Yes, the PPG Wave series and the Microwave 1 use mirrored half-waves BUT the Microwave 2/XT can playback/support full-cycle waves - it's just that the built-in waves are all half-cycle and I'I don't think there's an app that allows for full-cycle waves to be utilized/imported/created yet. Maybe some day :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Sir Nose wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:

Fizmo doubled in price over the last 3 years.

well, from $700 to $1000....
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby balma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm

They were up to $1500 during 2011. It has developed the misticism that shines over collectable items.... :D
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Swiss Frank » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:55 pm

The difference between waldorf wavetable synthesis and the fizmo transwaves is that the waldorf takes the +side of the signal, duplicates it, and inverts it to make the negative side of the output AC wave. This is unnatural sounding as the + side of the phase isn't necessarily the same as the - side of the phase in acoustics. So, all microwave outputs are symmetrical. conversely, the fizmo outputs are made by using additive sine waves that are all through zero, perfect 360 degree phasing.

I think this isn't true.

If all the harmonics of a waveform are in phase, then the second half of a waveform is ALWAYS the same as the first half of the waveform (albeit reversed, and flipped vertically).

So, the trick of only storing half a wave will NOT affect the sound at all.

To answer this thread's original question:

The term "wavetable" could correctly be applied to any wave stored as a table of samples. The waves in a DW-8000 or Prophet VS fit this description. You could also correctly describe the 16 DW-8000 waves together as a table of waves. And since each one is multisampled once per octave, you could even say that, say "waveform #3--acoustic piano" is a table of waves (one per octave). However, the DW-8000 cannot vary the oscillator sound over time. Instead a subtractive filter is used, and its method of synthesis is "Subtractive Synthesis," with a digital oscillator reading waveforms out of a table.

However the term "Wavetable SYNTHESIS" means that the interest and tonal variation in a sound is created by selecting one of a series of related waveforms stored together in a table. You can open the filter up 100% and not adjust it, and still get an interesting sound out of an Ensonic Fizmo or PPG or what have you.

There are a few subtle variations, such as whether the oscillator will interpolate between two neighboring waveforms, or only play one or the other. For instance would a value of 3.5 give you both wave 3 and wave 4 at 50% amplitude each? Or just be rounded down to 3? But, this isn't important. Either way, you get sound variation by modulating waveform selection, so it's Wavetable Synthesis.

Transwave is merely an Ensoniq trademark for a setting of their oscillators that uses Wavetable Synthesis.
Swiss Frank

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:38 pm

balma wrote:They were up to $1500 during 2011. It has developed the misticism that shines over collectable items.... :D

and there's one for $2200 on Reverb...
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Swiss Frank wrote:Transwave is merely an Ensoniq trademark for a setting of their oscillators that uses Wavetable Synthesis.

Technically, Transwave is their trademark name for wavetables themselves, possibly because when they designed the VFX, wavetable synthesis may have still been covered by the original patent.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby gridsleep » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 am

balma wrote:Now, a transwave sampler... that would make my pants wet....

Ensoniq EPS and ASR sample into transwaves. TS can load transwaves from them.

Waldorf Nave can convert any wave file into a wavetable and use it as an oscillator.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remember'd.
gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:01 pm

a Blofeld can load custom wavetables as well. Someone made a set of the Ensoniq transwaves for it.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers