New DSI Mopho 4 Voice Synth Announced

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

Re: New DSI Mopho 4 Voice Synth Announced

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:51 pm

I think it's fine as is. split mode would be great of course but it means more menu programming in order to define the split range. besides it doesn't make that much sense splitting a keyboard if you only have two main oscillators! splitting is more beneficial if you had at least 2 oscillators per layer/split IMHO so that each voice can actually sound rich and different enough. anyway, not a deal breaker for me.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 am

I think it looks/sounds great, and at the same price as the now discontinued Mono Evolver KB, it would certainly fit well into my small arsenal of synths. I want.
Bassist, synth junkie

mikewelch7
Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

Post by mikewelch7 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 am

So, I just picked up SN# 29 from Robot Speak in San Francisco. On a side note, I'm really lucky to live within walking distance of Robot Speak, which is ground zero for the SF synth community.

I've had a chance to plug it into my rig, and have played around with the presets.

First impressions:

The Mopho X4 sounds absolutely amazing!
The form factor is perfect: same dimensions as the MEK, but more keys with the pitch and mod wheels moved up.
Essentially, a Tetra keyboard with a well thought out interface. Programming should be relatively straightforward.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can truly dive deep into the modulations, but so far, I really like what I hear and enjoy programming it.
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 am

Bitexion wrote:I wish DSI would go a little further than just "Yeeah, the world really needs yet another 2 osc lowpass filter synth. We didn't make enough variations on the theme yet. Look. 4 voices! Oh wait, we already did that with the Tetra..Um..ok, let's add Filter FM! They'll go WILD"
The Tetra already has filter FM.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:38 am

I don't understand the complaints. Clearly this didn't take up alot of their time-- they were hard at work for that Tempest for ages, and this is just a small add to their arsenal for everyone who wanted a poly keyboard with knobs and can't afford a 2 grand Prophet. You just got the fantastic Tempest less than a year ago, and the team is only a handful of people... I praise them for adding something new so quickly. If you don't like it or have a Tetra, just move along...

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

Way more interesting than the MiniBrute, imo.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 am

So what happened to the super-duper new product that Pym was hinting at?
I thought they were hinting at something a little different, incorporating elements from the Tempest and whatnot or did I miss something?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

I think it looks great, and I really consider one of these babies. Also excellent that polyphony can be expanded by connecting a Tetra. Since I missed out on the Andromeda, I think I'll go for this one instead. Great work, DSI! :)
Anyone know if the arpeggiator is programmable?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:14 am

Hugo76 wrote:I think it looks great, and I really consider one of these babies. Also excellent that polyphony can be expanded by connecting a Tetra. Since I missed out on the Andromeda, I think I'll go for this one instead. Great work, DSI! :)
Anyone know if the arpeggiator is programmable?
As it's based on the Mopho the arpeggiator is unlikely to be programmable.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Arddhu wrote:So what happened to the super-duper new product that Pym was hinting at?
I thought they were hinting at something a little different, incorporating elements from the Tempest and whatnot or did I miss something?
Chris's (PYM) words from the DSI forums: "This is not the synth I was referring to in my comments about a new architecture (obviously). I had almost no involvement in this one since it was not any major difference OS wise from the previous iterations so it gave me time to both relax and take some time off as well as start planning for some new stuff. I/We also got to try some small hardware things (silkscreened panel for example) and fill an obvious niche in the current market. I'd say, all in all, it's a nice incremental improvement to where we've been going."

All signs point to WNAMM 2013

This thing was quick to make, filled a gap for their line of synths without competing directly with other boards and met the needs and requests of their customers. A 4-voice poly with sub ocs and feedback for $1200, not bad at all. I don't need it, but I think this will give DSI some time to continue their work on the new voice architecture which will most decidedly be deep & complex. How old is the Tempest, btw? And how many employees are there @ DSI.....??? ;)

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Ah cool, I take it all back. Whatever keeps the collective water vessels above water.
Just glad the new beast in development hasn't been dumped. :)

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Post by breckjay » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:37 pm

ill stick with my mopho keyboard.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

atlantida
Gear: Yamaha: Motif ES-R, AN1X, CS6R, QY100
Korg: MS 2000-R

Post by atlantida » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Looks and sounds good but in synth world 5 is the magic (and logical) number as someone else said to get a fat accord (a triad and two basses in octaves, minimum). Nevertheless, it's cool enough to buy one if you need analog stuff.
Worked with:
Roland D50,JD800,XV3080,V-XT,MKS7
Yamaha FS1R,Motif ES R,CS6R,AN1X,AN200,TG500
Korg Trinity R,TritonR,EX8000,MS2000R,Radias
Novation Supernova 2R
Kawai K5000
DSI Mopho
Clavia NordLead1R
Ensoniq ESQ1,SQ80,MR

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

atlantida wrote:Looks and sounds good but in synth world 5 is the magic (and logical) number as someone else said to get a fat accord (a triad and two basses in octaves, minimum). Nevertheless, it's cool enough to buy one if you need analog stuff.
You can upgrade it to 5 by buying a MoPho desktop.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm

philip wrote:tHE x4 LOgo sucks, the colour - sucks(why not yelow or white), DCOs- sucks,it is mono-timbral and does not have combo mode, multi-mode, keyboard splits, and stacks. but PROBABLY a pretty good synth.
:D

agreed, except that i haven't even seen one in person, let alone played one yet. hence the edit.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies