New DSI Mopho 4 Voice Synth Announced

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Re: New DSI Mopho 4 Voice Synth Announced

Post by vin14 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:00 pm

bochelli wrote:The logo is a mess for the money i would expect better , as i have little intrest in todays synths i will stick with my humble Davolisint.
I think the graphics on this one are ok as far as Dave Smith gear goes, certainly better than mopho, evolver and especially DSI itself, but that's not saying a lot, as for the old Sequential ones, I won't go there! Maybe he does them himself, even if he hires someone to do so! Some clients don't listen, but as they say 'the client is always right' and even if they're wrong, they're still the client!
Last edited by vin14 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm

I think it's interesting how disparaging some people get about the DSI sound sometimes (not that this whole thread has been so). The funny thing is, most of the bands I've seen live in the last week surround lollapalooza in chicago (neon indian, twin shadow) use all kinds of DSI gear live. To me, that just says something about how useful and reliable they tend to be. I'm watching neon indian streaming and the lady on keys is using a prophet 08 and a sixtrack on stage, and Twin shadow had a Prophet 08 and the original Mopho. Sorry to be a touch off topic, but I just found it interesting.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 pm

that's because the truth is that all the subtle issues people have don't really matter in real world application, especially in a mix, and especially live. you wont hear any of that stuff at all. and often not even "analogue warmth". it's only most evident when listening in a studio or with headphones. and even then the differences are very subtle.

what I've learned, and its only my opinion, that after a certain point a capable synth sounds good enough that the big difference between it and other synths is the interface, the build quality, and the looks. even major limitations like polyphony sometimes won't even make or break a song. it took me a long time to realize this even if the proof is so obvious. even the shittiest of synths can be used to make amazing songs.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 pm

bochelli wrote:i have little intrest in todays synths i will stick with my humble Davolisint.
Then why say anything in the first place?
bochelli wrote:They must have thought the panel logo was ok to them at least.
That would probably be the verdict on 99% of manufacturer logos: the manufacturers like them.

Oh well, I'm off to toast Peter Schilling vinyl over my burning Davolisint.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 am

tallowwaters wrote:
bochelli wrote:i have little intrest in todays synths i will stick with my humble Davolisint.
That would probably be the verdict on 99% of manufacturer logos: the manufacturers like them.

:slowclap:

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:32 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:that's because the truth is that all the subtle issues people have don't really matter in real world application, especially in a mix, and especially live. you wont hear any of that stuff at all. and often not even "analogue warmth". it's only most evident when listening in a studio or with headphones. and even then the differences are very subtle.

what I've learned, and its only my opinion, that after a certain point a capable synth sounds good enough that the big difference between it and other synths is the interface, the build quality, and the looks. even major limitations like polyphony sometimes won't even make or break a song. it took me a long time to realize this even if the proof is so obvious. even the shittiest of synths can be used to make amazing songs.
So true. I mean, you can hear the DSI stuff cutting through the mix live really well because of the filters and the top end buzz you get when there's no filter as well. And honestly, just having a synth that works is really key on stage. OH and then you have grimes who uses a Roland Gaia...and it sounds amazing live. I mean, yes, when I saw Chromatics recently and Johnny was playing basslines all night long on a univox maxikorg, running through a massive tube pre, then a bass stack, the sound was really something special, and you could really hear it, all the way in the back of the room, but not in a dominating way. There can be something great about certain synths, but then again, unless your mix is PERFECT (which it always is at Lincoln Hall where I saw them) things get smooshed up a bit live. I've always been into just using whatever I have around, even though at this point it's a modular, mopho and a jx3p+ various diy boxes...sometimes the best stuff comes out of just using what's plugged in and making it work.

ON TOPIC: I want one of these really bad. I found a friend who wants one of my jx3p/programmer combos (I actually have 2 of these somehow) and that plus the machinedrum i sold will more than cover it and I'm super excited. If it works out right, I might just sell the mopho v1, but who knows...there's a lot of nostalgia attached to that beast, being my first new synth I ever purchased. I sometimes think about sending DSI rebranding ideas for their synths to maybe get them up to speed and looking as good as they sound. I know they're a small company, but seriously a good font for their synths would make a few people much more happy.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 am

I have to say that I truly commend DSI for what I assume is them listening to the public as far as going back to a dark colored design with the X4 and also fixing the notorious Evolver rotary encoder issues when they came out with the Mopho kb. and in some ways, it would have been cool if they reissued the Mopho kb with this new color since it is more of a populist keyboard because of the price. the X4 has passed the $1000 mark which I think makes it less likely to be bought by most of the emerging bands who can't really afford expensive gear. $1300 is already in the Moog price range. anyway this is probably the reason why you see the MicroKorg, Gaia, Tetra, etc. often being played live by popular musicians -- because they're cheaper. now that there's the MiniBrute at $500, it's even more important for DSI to be competitive even with secondary things like aesthetics.

I wonder in the next 12 months how much we will be seeing of the MiniBrute and the X4 on stage, as opposed to older synths in similar price ranges, like the Gaia, all the way up to the Lil Phatty. also I wonder what options DSI has in terms of offering a slightly cheaper alternative to the X4, as good as it is. maybe the Mopho kb is as good as it gets, for under $1000?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 am

condit79 wrote:I think it's interesting how disparaging some people get about the DSI sound sometimes (not that this whole thread has been so). The funny thing is, most of the bands I've seen live in the last week surround lollapalooza in chicago (neon indian, twin shadow) use all kinds of DSI gear live. To me, that just says something about how useful and reliable they tend to be. I'm watching neon indian streaming and the lady on keys is using a prophet 08 and a sixtrack on stage, and Twin shadow had a Prophet 08 and the original Mopho. Sorry to be a touch off topic, but I just found it interesting.
Well, some people just do not enjoy the sound that much. I've tried to like them, but in the end put my money elsewhere. I do enjoy music that features DSI synths and I wouldn't mind owning a P'08 for utilitarian purposes, as a live replacement of the JP6 or something.. But I probably wouldn't use one for composing. I don't care what James Blake or Twin Shadow says, to me the analogue DSI sound is a bit "meh".

Also, I admit I'm a sucker for the mystique surrounding vintage synths. ("Holy f**k! They have a Davolisint on stage!!")

- CM

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 am

Yeah, the logo sucks, but like other people said before, just put another module or a stiker you like right over! I personally think the name is worst: why not call it the Mo-Four, tant qu'à y être? X4 reminds me of a Yamaha model...

But I don't understand the concerns about the color... You didn't like the yellow?!? Did it make it sound bad or good? I bet the distinction is more what it was really about. See, the Nord are red, not black. Most Blofeld are white. So you can identify them easily if you like the sound or see them on stage on tv or at a show. The Mopho X4 won't be visually different from the main corpus of synths, so a distinctive mark is already down the drain (less visibility = less promotion, hence fewer sale potential). It could have been a glow-in-the-dark violet for what I care, but at least you'd have known right away what it was! The sound and ease of use will speak by itself in the long run.

Still, a sea of multicolored leds in the back that would act like a Tenori On would be killer on stage...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 am

vin14 wrote:I think the graphics on this one are ok as far as Dave Smith rear goes
I wonder if Dave would feel flattered somehow if he heard you were ogling his bum... ;)

Also, at USD$325 per voice, I think that's even cheaper than getting four mopho desktop boxes new, right? So you get the mopho, plus some place convenient to put your digits besides your arse. There are reasons why it doesn't have a metric s**t-tonne of features -- it's price point for an analogue poly keyboard puts it squarely at the lower end of the price scale.

I look around my studio at the various vintage units pissing about, dare I say even the modern stuff -- has none of that whiz-bang flashy graphics. "ooh, drop shadows f**k with my chi". That layout is about as utilitarian as any other synth I can come up with. The only two machines I own that even remotely have crazy graphics going on are the SE-1x and the XTk. People were up in arms when the Mopho came out and it was bright f**k banana yellow. Now it's back to black essentially and people still s**t the bed.

If I were Dave (and this is why I'm not in business for myself, quite frankly) I'd make the next one Pantone Color "Neon Eyebleed Green" with a purple OLED backlamp, and orange chickenhead knobs for EVERY f**k PARAMETER. It would be called the "Rainblow f**k". :D

Yes, it might not break any landmarks for groundbreaking features, but it does somewhat quench people's desire for a poly mopho, and to some degree, a tetra keyboard (although it isn't). h**l, get this, and polychain a Tertra.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 am

silikon wrote:h**l, get this, and polychain a Tertra.
Just what I plan to do. ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am

silikon wrote:
vin14 wrote:I think the graphics on this one are ok as far as Dave Smith rear goes
Also, at USD$325 per voice, I think that's even cheaper than getting four mopho desktop boxes new, right? So you get the mopho, plus some place convenient to put your digits besides your arse. There are reasons why it doesn't have a metric s**t-tonne of features -- it's price point for an analogue poly keyboard puts it squarely at the lower end of the price scale.

Well, run the numbers this way: buy a Mopho keys and polychain three mopho desktops off it to get the equivalent

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 am

But you get a quite shitty interface to work with, having to set the oscillators, filter and envelopes for 4 separate modules, sort of like an SEM 4-voice?

Or does the polychain function let you adjust parameters for all 4 units at once?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

I imagine so. I am Chaining a Mopho keyboard and desktop to make a Duophonic. Just dump all the sound from one to another and mix right as the desktop is quieter and has subtle differences but actually makes it more interesting.

I love the Mopho but all the presests are rubbish and it actually takes a few minutes to get something nice (for me). For some reason I don't like the sound of the raw oscillators, I don't know what it is with them. The thought of using it gets me down and think of selling it on quite often. I sometimes force myself to use it over others just so it does not feel a waste, It only takes me a few minutes to start enjoying it again and all the hate disappears... until next time.

If it came with no presets I think it would be a lot more appealing for me personally.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 pm

tallowwaters wrote:

Well lets see ah yes a recent ebay win from ebay in Berlin a Peter Schilling single just about sums up todays synths ..Terra Titanic.
yamoto773