Molecule Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Molecule Synth

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Wow, you know you want a set!! GREAT idea!!

My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Re: Molecule Synth

Post by dubold » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

huh, interesting. I just read an interview with Strategy in Resident Advisor where he said
There's this guy in Austin called Eric Archer that makes these little stand-alone drum modules that can communicate with each other using an IR wireless signal if they're close enough to each other. There are a few other companies that make compatible things, and you can buy them as kits for very cheap and put them together. Each one does one thing and then the whole idea is that you chain a whole bunch of them together and you can improvise patterns and stuff.
for a minute I thought this was the same thing, but after checking on eric archer's website, it appears to a be a different but similar project.

it's a great idea, something inbetween a fullblown modular setup and a self-contained synth.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Umm...it's like a modular synth with weirdly shaped modules? I call bullshit, but he dresses it in flowery language to impress people who have no idea what a modular synth is.

"Here’s how it works: Take a RED giant-sized hex, connect it to a YELLOW hex; now connect a PURPLE hex to the YELLOW hex. That’s it. You have just created a new MOLECULE synthesizer! But hold on, maybe you want a different PURPLE? Try it -- grab a different PURPLE and connect to the YELLOW. Now you've made a different MOLECULE synthesizer! "

Or in other words. Take a RED oscillator, connect it to a YELLOW filter; now connect a PURPLE LFO to the YELLOW filter. That's it. You've just created a new MODULAR synthesiser! But hold on, maybe you want a different PURPLE? Try it, change the LFO speed and connect to the YELLOW. Now you've made a DIFFERENT modular synthesizer!"

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:30 pm

I don't know. I think this could be an easy way for children to play with synthesis. And I like that you can basically put something together anywhere you are.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Seems pretty interesting, but I don't understand the "Arduino Uno" thing for the midi... Are they presenting an incomplete module that you have to complete yourself by buying something else? Being uneducated about puting electronics together, I don't understand that part, and seriously doubt I could make it work by myself. A great disadvantage that will seriously inconvene the support I was considering for the startup...

Besides, from what I could gather on the Arduino website, they only sell the Uno R3 and it doesn't even have a midi plug on it! Just USB... There's something fishy in all the explanations. Yes, I know there are midi to USB module, but don't call it a midi module if it's only a USB plug!
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Yeah, having the the MIDI be a DIY add-on seems pretty weird, since everything else is already there.
I do like the fact that he only showed women and children using it though, so you know that even dullards can operate it. ;)
All kidding aside, it seems like a fun idea, although I wouldn't necessarily be interested in one for myself.
I do love this Kickstarter s**t though.
Such a great concept/site.
Personally. I've seen and helped, several people get records and videos made that would have never seen the light of day if it wasn't for this site.
More money for more creative ideas. =D>

BTW: looks like he has already met and exceeded his financial goal.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Seems more a toy than an actual instrument, though I see the point it could be a great intro for kids.
Bassist, synth junkie