New synth from Roland?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: New synth from Roland?

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 am

tekkentool wrote:Hey guise I have the best idea.

ROLAND SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE THE JUPITER 8 AGAIN.

But only sell it for like 300 bucks because I don't want to pay lots for one.

Best idea ever amirite?
[sarc]And they could totally do it for that price because electronics have gotten cheaper and Roland is a huge company![/sarc]

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

stephen wrote:
Fredthehound wrote:
stephen wrote:It will contain DNA from Gilbert and Sullivan and will have a sequencer in the key of S.
And that's why softsynths ALWAYS sound better than hardware....

WHAT??? ;)
check out the Harrington 1200 :D
I love Brit humor and THAT was AWESOME! HA!

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm

I think what's going on here is that Roland, by denying the synth world an all new/reproduction Jupiter 8, is actually saving the world from itself.

Now this may contain some pretty vile stuff, but stick with me a moment...

Say Roland heard the pitiful wailings, gnashing of teeth and lamentations of de wimminz...and made the Jupiter82012 What would happen?

An army of hipsters would converge on Guitar Center, sucking up every last one in their quest for aural glory. A couple days later the world would be subjected to the most incredible/warm/classic sounding c**p that has ever been heard, that's what. This would cause great confusion. Dogs and cats living together, old folks homes pulling out the Howard Jones/Duran Duran records for tonal comparison....the damage would be everywhere.

No, Roland is wise. Most hipsters cannot get their hands on one and the Knights of Jupiter, who fearlessly guard the remaining treasures must hold fast to their solemn duty. The natural order must not be disturbed, lest Hipsters corrupt yet more of what is right and just in the world.

;)

Ashe37 wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Hey guise I have the best idea.

ROLAND SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE THE JUPITER 8 AGAIN.

But only sell it for like 300 bucks because I don't want to pay lots for one.

Best idea ever amirite?
[sarc]And they could totally do it for that price because electronics have gotten cheaper and Roland is a huge company![/sarc]

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:41 pm

You do realise that talking about hipsters just makes you one, right? After all taking about hipsters is hip right now, and hence the kind of thing that a hipster would do. ;)
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 pm

tim gueguen wrote:You do realise that talking about hipsters just makes you one, right? After all taking about hipsters is hip right now, and hence the kind of thing that a hipster would do. ;)

My God...You're right...

OK. Give me a couple hours to put my affairs in order and I will post my home address. Have someone stop by and end me. I have lost the will to live as my shame cannot be contained ;)

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Fredthehound wrote:Say Roland heard the pitiful wailings, gnashing of teeth and lamentations of de wimminz...and made the Jupiter82012 What would happen?

An army of hipsters would converge on Guitar Center, sucking up every last one in their quest for aural glory.
After years of becoming self-conscious of the fact that every other Hipster owned a microKORG, they only buy vintage gear now, no matter how limiting it is. The mentality seems to be that it must be at least 15 years old to be worth owning. They are more likely to choose a DW-6000 over a new, all-analog Jupiter, no matter what the costs. I've tried having a few discussions about the MiniBrute and Mopho X4 with some of the synth nerds in my city and every one of them would roll their eyes and seemed completely disinterested just because it was modern.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Re-Member wrote:The mentality seems to be that it must be at least 15 years old to be worth owning. I've tried having a few discussions about the MiniBrute and Mopho X4 with some of the synth nerds in my city and every one of them would roll their eyes and seemed completely disinterested just because it was modern.
I'm still trying to get Columbia University to sell me their RCA Mk II. I offered to trade 236 microKorgs for it.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:23 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Re-Member wrote:The mentality seems to be that it must be at least 15 years old to be worth owning. I've tried having a few discussions about the MiniBrute and Mopho X4 with some of the synth nerds in my city and every one of them would roll their eyes and seemed completely disinterested just because it was modern.
I'm still trying to get Columbia University to sell me their RCA Mk II. I offered to trade 236 microKorgs for it.

Be careful, the microkorg is already 10 years old. Five more years

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Re-Member wrote:
Fredthehound wrote:Say Roland heard the pitiful wailings, gnashing of teeth and lamentations of de wimminz...and made the Jupiter82012 What would happen?

An army of hipsters would converge on Guitar Center, sucking up every last one in their quest for aural glory.
After years of becoming self-conscious of the fact that every other Hipster owned a microKORG, they only buy vintage gear now, no matter how limiting it is. The mentality seems to be that it must be at least 15 years old to be worth owning. They are more likely to choose a DW-6000 over a new, all-analog Jupiter, no matter what the costs. I've tried having a few discussions about the MiniBrute and Mopho X4 with some of the synth nerds in my city and every one of them would roll their eyes and seemed completely disinterested just because it was modern.
Maybe they are quiet because they haven't had the opportunity to play either the x4 or the minibrute yet.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Solid point, but remember that Hipsters are first and foremost wannabees. If they can't have the 'Ironic trucker hat" from the 80s, they will wear the reproduction just as quickly. And tell everyone they got the repro before it became popular.

So I gotta stand by my theory ;)

And the flood of crapily written and produced 'music' with REALLY freaking warm/deep/ect. tone will flood the net. But if it's possible for a Jupiter 4/6/8 to make a bad sound, we can sleep secure in the certainty that they would find that one bad sound and make 5,000,000 Dubstep songs using it.

Re-Member wrote:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 pm

volumetrik wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:
volumetrik wrote:eventually all the people that work at Roland will retire and make way for new and hopefully the new like analog.
Except analog is retro, not new.
and what is actually new?
Apparently a fanboy grouping wanting something that isn't yet another rehash of an analog synth.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Fredthehound wrote:I think what's going on here is that Roland, by denying the synth world an all new/reproduction Jupiter 8, is actually saving the world from itself.

Now this may contain some pretty vile stuff, but stick with me a moment...

Say Roland heard the pitiful wailings, gnashing of teeth and lamentations of de wimminz...and made the Jupiter82012 What would happen?

An army of hipsters would converge on Guitar Center, sucking up every last one in their quest for aural glory. A couple days later the world would be subjected to the most incredible/warm/classic sounding c**p that has ever been heard, that's what. This would cause great confusion. Dogs and cats living together, old folks homes pulling out the Howard Jones/Duran Duran records for tonal comparison....the damage would be everywhere.

No, Roland is wise. Most hipsters cannot get their hands on one and the Knights of Jupiter, who fearlessly guard the remaining treasures must hold fast to their solemn duty. The natural order must not be disturbed, lest Hipsters corrupt yet more of what is right and just in the world.

;)
I like the way you talk.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:20 pm

what is the over/under on this thread beating the page count on the MiniBrute thread?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm

bhrama wrote:what is the over/under on this thread beating the page count on the MiniBrute thread?
you know damn well that if it's analog, it'll beat it out, and if it's not, this will end in a few days....

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Nah, the hipsters will be too hip to buy a new Jupiter-82012, they'll sulk off into a corner waiting for the new synth to become vintage so they can finally buy it without breaking the hip-code of hipness.