New synth from Roland?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Fredthehound

Re: New synth from Roland?

Post by Fredthehound » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Having been in a VIP room in a Vegas strip Club with a dozen Japanese guys from a major Japanese corp...trust me...you don't want to be there when it happens ;)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:17 am

VTEC just kicked in yo.

philip

Post by philip » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:16 pm

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:28 pm

:facepalm: + 1

Who writes these demo tracks?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Same sounds since the JV series :facepalm:

Roland has been selling the same crappy soundset for years (I've owned every iteration from JV to G-series). The only thing that changes is the box and the marketing. I've always thought Roland ROMplers did decent organ and strings but that doesn't justify the cost of these karaoke-sounding machines.

If you want decent bread-and-butter sounds, get a Yamaha Motif or a Kurzweil.

My opinion, of course. ymmv.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:13 pm

StepLogik wrote: :facepalm:
madmarkmagee wrote: :facepalm: + 1
philip wrote: :facepalm:
Due to popular demand, I vote the facepalm emoticon name change to the "roland emoticon"
‹‡›

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:27 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
Due to popular demand, I vote the facepalm emoticon name change to the "roland emoticon"
All in favour? Aye! :)

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
I agree...

Lets face facts, Roland has been s**t for years.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I know I'm in the middle of the Roland-Bash-fest
but it's a little hard to take all of this seriously when it all stems from them not making a monster analogue from their past, which is also a synth you probably wouldn't/couldn't have bought when it was new, if you were around then.

1. It's a demo. There's something wrong, if you're judging a board by the song making skills of whoever makes the demos.

2. You should be going by sonic character, which means you'd be talking about SOUNDS and not SONGS. ahem.
And those that are...okay....valid point. Don't like the sounds. Gotcha.

3. I don't know who makes entire songs in one board. I certainly don't because they tend to sound like interesting demo songs. There's not enough sonic variety in any instrument that uses a singular engine. Even my most powerful analogue beast, I wouldn't do it. Bands don't sound like that for a reason..

4. I don't think judging Roland strictly by whether or not they make a Jup-- eh who cares.
MV 8800
SP-555
Fantom series
V-Synth

I dunno...KORG is still the king of fun gadgets and Yamaha has a single ROMpler still kicking around.
So, exactly, who is blazing a new trail for all to follow?
Either everyone Sucks or they are all doing what they do. No recent change in their direction(s)
What's the surprised look for?

Go buy the Arturia piece and keep it moving.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm

griffin avid wrote:I know I'm in the middle of the Roland-Bash-fest
but it's a little hard to take all of this seriously when it all stems from them not making a monster analogue from their past
I'm sure it's an alright synth. But most likely nothing special, Roland used to be the greatest company for making special things. I think a lot of people are just frustrated with Roland because they've never listened to what the people want, ever. But that worked for them before when they actually had a unique vision. They seem to still be of the attitude "we design the future" without realizing that they have no idea of what the future is anymore. Oh well, I'm still hopeful that Roland can make something groundbreaking again one day... digital, analog, whatever
‹‡›

salwa

Post by salwa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Maybe their marketing target are people producing easy listening, no-copyright muzak for elevators? Then it make sense. Otherwise it remindes me my jv2080 demos.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:They seem to still be of the attitude "we design the future" without realizing that they have no idea of what the future is anymore.
The problem, as far as I see it, is that they've been outpaced by technology. Without aiming at another HW vs SW debate, but when the industry has been using sample libraries of over a hundred gigabytes for about a decade, then this industry laughs at 'new' Roland synthesizers that come with a "whopping" 128MB worth o' samples that sound like they're up-souped 90's samples. They'll laugh at their 'new techniques to have legato transitions between notes' - though legato samples are getting quite common these days.

So, when the ROMpler is dated, what's left is are non-sample based synths, and they'll have some stiff competition there. Aren't they allowed to make ROMplers then? Sure they may, but shouting out they've invented something 'new' is a bit laughable (at least towards the high end section of the industry). Naturally, Joe Average may not know and may actually like all these new gimmicks. Question is who Roland's audience is these days, may as well not be your average VSE/KVR crowd.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:22 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:I'm sure it's an alright synth. But most likely nothing special, Roland used to be the greatest company for making special things. I think a lot of people are just frustrated with Roland because they've never listened to what the people want, ever. But that worked for them before when they actually had a unique vision. They seem to still be of the attitude "we design the future" without realizing that they have no idea of what the future is anymore. Oh well, I'm still hopeful that Roland can make something groundbreaking again one day... digital, analog, whatever
Actually Roland have a long history of making 'futuristic' gear that was incredibly unpopular when first released. The TB-303 was such a poor seller that they were giving them away free with every JC-120 sold after only two years on the market. People still don't really have an appreciation for what the V-Synth can do and they go for a fraction of what they're really worth.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 am

all these new gimmicks. Question is who Roland's audience is these days, may as well not be your average VSE/KVR crowd."
I think their audience is the same as always. In the past people adopted their offerings. As stated above theve made their tools for one group and it became popular for another after some period. I also add a person who would buy a romper style keyboard ain't the vst nut on kvr gushing over plug ins. Or software for that matter and as far as keyboardists are concerned, they tend to rely on their own playing and presets and usually don't need something "cutting edge" to sit down in front of. These companies are using famous players not programmers to showcase their wares. That's a big hint. Haven't seen Jordan rudess program a patch as part of his demo vids yet. Maybe he has but I haven't seen one.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 am

CS_TBL wrote:I figure he likes f**k..
I figure he'll find out soon enough if that sort of tirade were to continue.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.