The obsession for the Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: The obsession for the Analog

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:32 pm

vladimotor wrote:f**k it all.
?

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Rant on:
But why on earth, if you think VSTs are so superior do you spend time on VSE? This is excately why I stopped comming here the last time, allways feel like I have to defend why I like my Jupiter-8 insted of just being smart and use software. Us who like vintage, or are analog purists are allways in defence...

And I dont give a f**k about how lady Gaga album was made!

Rant of
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 pm

tekkentool wrote:[I think you've got tunnel vision about what people actually use, vintage synths become more and more hobbyist by the year.
I think you are wrong, but what diference does it make?
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

tekkentool wrote:I think you've got tunnel vision about what people actually use, vintage synths...
...Are actually used a lot too for what it's worth, check out monthly artist features in Future Music magazine (UK), plenty of professional producers in the industry currently using vintage synths/drum machines etc, etc... Jody Westinoff for one, who means a s**t-ton more to me than Lady Gaga, ..sorry but just sayin. :D

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm

VSTs are boring. I am shopping for a multi-channel magnetic tape recorder, i don't even like computers anymore.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 pm

JJQ wrote:Rant on:
But why on earth, if you think VSTs are so superior do you spend time on VSE? This is excately why I stopped comming here the last time, allways feel like I have to defend why I like my Jupiter-8 insted of just being smart and use software. Us who like vintage, or are analog purists are allways in defence...

And I dont give a f**k about how lady Gaga album was made!

Rant of
In many ways they are objectively superior, in other ways they aren't. The person who I was responding to was arguing something along the lines (i can't figure out what he was actually trying to say for the lfie of me) of old analogue gear not being "dead and buried" (Which no, it's not) but then mentioned that there's no love for modern gear which is just crazy. I have love, most people do.

This is not a point against vintage synths but rather just pointing out most people who are just there to produce music do not use them that much anymore. There's also a lot of studios where you see them packed to the roof with crazy gear then you actually hear the music and it's like...where are they again? they use them as hobbyist devices too it seems as unfortunate as they are. h**l what's his name up there who made the original post has a "jp-8, minimoog,memorymoog , 2600" in storage s a collector.

Also at this point I'd like to re-iterate that vintage does not equal analogue either and there are a lot of vintage digital synthesizers out there.

The cycle completes itself, the gear for something became too expensive so the youth move on to something else. They moved onto analogue because of it, they'll move off it because of it.

P.S my point about the fame and the fame monster was that they are both extremely well selling album and redone did the production mainly with stock DAW synths, not external VST's. Just the stock ones, seems pretty interesting to me I dunno. (inb4 it's because "all musick r suck nowadays ololol"

For posterity I do like analogue tonality and sound, but it's hard to justify as a studio "tool" honestly these days...Might just buy a minibrute and be done with it again ;)

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Plumpudding wrote:
Jiggz wrote: Now being musicians which we are foremost and not programmers (i hope),
What's wrong about programmers...? :blink:
The trouble for me is that music and creativity is a left-half brain activity which means that when inspiration comes I need to ride it out and bring it to life without engaging the systematic right half.

If I respond to the left hand inspiration by having to dig out a manual to program parameters on a synth with a complex operating system, then I have engaged the right half of the brain and the left half inspiration sinks back to its source to rise again another day.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 pm

You got your left brain and your right brain mixed up there, helps to get that right if you want to look like you know what you're talking about. ;)

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 pm

But why on earth, if you think VSTs are so superior do you spend time on VSE?
Very good question indeed.
JJQ wrote:
This is excately why I stopped comming here the last time, allways feel like I have to defend why I like my Jupiter-8 insted of just being smart and use software. Us who like vintage, or are analog purists are allways in defence...
Yes it surprises me also that you have to work hard to defend yourself againston VST's on a forum like this.
JJQ wrote: And I dont give a f**k about how lady Gaga album was made!
Shame! ;-)

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You got your left brain and your right brain mixed up there, helps to get that right if you want to look like you know what you're talking about. ;)
well pointed out

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 am

Jiggz wrote:
But why on earth, if you think VSTs are so superior do you spend time on VSE?
Very good question indeed.

I never and would never state that VST's are better than a hardware analogue synth in every single way imaginable, I didn't do that. Practicality wise they make millions of times more sense though.

Well of course, my lament that vintage synths are becoming collectors items not instruments is obviously because I hate them so much, I hate them so much that I disliked them becoming unused :roll: :lol:

of course I love analogue synthesizers, the kaoss pad is awesome ahahahahahahha

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 am

Hey, an analog vs digital thread, how refreshing.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 am

This thread makes me want to go on a killing spree.

You gotcher people passionately defending analog with stuff that doesn't demonstrate that which makes analog desirable.

You gotcher people who feel like analog in some way diminishes their validity so they have to decry it.

You gotcher people who mock these discussions because they're so pointless.

Most of the time, the most ardent defenders of analog are people who are just going along with a trend, and the people who are most angry about analog lovers are people who are bitter about money.

The best aspects of analog are aspects that 95% of you can't tolerate. It's best to just let it go.

If you love analog, here is the best news you could get: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/moog-lev-96/
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 am

AG- That link us sweet. That thing is ridiculous! I can't wait to see a finished product/capacity of said item. Idk if I'll be able to use it, but we'll see when it's in it's final form. Still, cool as s**t!

Also, analog and s**t lol

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 am

what the h**l?! this is not Vintage Strings Explorer. put some keys on that guitar, baby! ;)

jokes aside, I'd love to hear what that sensoriactuator can do. can you plug it into a eurorack modular? :D