The obsession for the Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: The obsession for the Analog

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 pm

I enjoy playing analogue synthesisers because I don´t need a manual to understand them.

I wouldn´t call this "obsession", I´m not obsessed with analogue although I must confess that I´ve returned to a setup that is more focussed on analogue -- partly by deliberation (I got bored with many digital synthesisers after some time), partly by accident (I happened to find some analogue synthesisers I wasn´t even looking for -- the Lord gave me a sign, o my brethren!). I just enjoy getting lost on an analogue synthesiser because I don´t have to think about how to do *this* in order to achieve *that* (if you know what I mean) -- albeit a proper digital synthesiser can do this quite as well (PPG comes to mind in my case).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Let's all log out of VSE for a week. Please...stop drooling over s**t, and press record and create something. Why is everyone compelled to get caught in this cycle of justification, and comparison?

Who's in for a new competition?
:keys1: me

But there will be soooo much entries....uf... like the listening lounge... nobody listens my tracks any longer :oops: .

maybe a 100% analog competition?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 am

if it is all analog make it all analog, even the recording the device...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:09 pm

balma wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:Let's all log out of VSE for a week. Please...stop drooling over s**t, and press record and create something. Why is everyone compelled to get caught in this cycle of justification, and comparison?

Who's in for a new competition?
:keys1: me

But there will be soooo much entries....uf... like the listening lounge... nobody listens my tracks any longer :oops: .

maybe a 100% analog competition?
Yeah, maybe we can convince the mods to let us have the comp in General Synths to get more hits?

GoodwillFalcon
Gear: MG-1, Monotribe(Altitude MIDI), Casio MT-100, Casio VL-1, Axiom25, Yamaha RX21.
Band: Goodwill Falcon

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: ...there is more to music than being an audio producer. If you are a physical musician, you should also have that in you which requires an attraction to and love of interface.
I don't have a MIDI arrangement to trigger my Minimoog. I play the musical instrument with my hands. The layout and physical feel of the panel are inspirational to me, and not only affect the choices I make, but also give me physical and aesthetic pleasure... this pleasure is reflected in my musical output.
Obviously, this sort of thing isn't for everyone... in fact, I think very few "electronic musicians" today really give a s**t about physical interaction with interface. But THAT is a very strong aspect of seeking analog synths. And yes, it is a form of nostalgia- which is a crime. Being a keyboard player USED to be like being a guitar player... but increasingly today, it's more like being a recording engineer or producer.
This says it all for me, right here. It's an instrument - an intimate interaction, a physical connection between a craftsman and his tools.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's an inferior concept. It's the same reason people like going camping in a tent, or driving a manual transmission, shooting on film, or painting with a brush - there is value and enjoyment in doing things the 'harder way.'