The obsession for the Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: The obsession for the Analog

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 am

I like analog guitars.

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I love synthesis in all its myriad forms.

Personally what works for me, is ease of use. When I play guitar it is mostly intuitive.
I know where I am on the instrument and what sort of sound I'm going to get (generally).
If I'm playing an instrument I want to play it and desire plenty of control.
Programming a synth is a little different to 'playing', but I'll still go with the desire for as
much direct physical access to the parameters as possible. The iPad is a step forward from the
general awfulness of the mouse for certain tasks, but until proper tactility is achieved, there's always going
to be the abstraction caused by the need for your eyes to find something on a screen, as opposed to being able to
reach over,and have a general sense of what you are looking for, without actually looking.

Regarding analogue/digital, I care little. If I can create the sounds I want to, then I'm in front.
Obviously some tools are better than others for different tasks, but let's not make a religion of it,
with all the dogma that entails.

Photographers are probably as bad as musicians for fetishizing equipment, but ultimately a camera is
a device for catching light. The word synthesize has a meaning independent of whatever adjective you place in front
of it.

I want to feel like a mad scientist, not a network administrator.

philip

Post by philip » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Analog synths, somehow they have soul

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 pm

People that immediately assume anything analog or vintage is better than something digital is an idiot. If it sounds good to you, then purchase it and enjoy. The end.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:16 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:I like analog guitars.
As opposed to digital guitars?
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 am

Why analog? For me it started with something that sounded different from digital, a ROMpler to be precise. I started out with an SY-85, which did sound of the time, but I wanted something a bit less clean and more 80s than 90s. However if I'd started with my Poly 800 Mk2, I'd have lusted after a modern digital synth just as much, no make that more so. Real time control over every parameter was also an issue, I ended up with a Juno 106 for that, mostly because a JD-800 cost 10 times as much at the time!

The playing field is more level now with the abundance of synths available. So as has been already mentioned, I'd say some of it is status, that's always the case with blokey stuff isn't it? cars, cameras, computers, hi-fi etc. Some of it is nostalgia, certainly in my case.

Back to the sound, it is different, especially the vintage gear. A lot of folk just find it more pleasing, perhaps that's part of the nostalgia element. It would be interesting to here a younger person's opinion! Anyhow I like analog gear, but I don't think I'm obsessed or a snob I have as much digital gear after all.

Shutoku

Post by Shutoku » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:02 am

This is actually my first post here, and my reasoning on the whole analog - digital thing will be somewhat biographical.

I am 49, and have been playing since I was 12 or so, so for me the quest for analog is a mix of many things. Nostalgia for sure, I think I am in the midst of a musical mid-life crisis, and I recall all the cool old synths I went through as a kid, and wish I still had now. (fortunately I did hang on to one of my mono/poly's and my old yamaha cs-01)

I learned synthesis on no memory analog gear, and I still think in those terms. I absolutely HATED the DX7 partly because I just didn't like the sound, partly because I never really did grasp fm synthesis :oops: , and partly because it was for me the beginning of no knobs. I love my m1 though and probably did more gigging with it than any other keyboard despite the lack of knobs and the digital sound.

I have been pretty much out of the new gear scene for a long time though, so I am embarrassingly out of date on the newer stuff. I like the animoog and sunrizer on my iPod a lot, and I also like NLog...both the ipod and mac versions, though I'm not sure I would want to take a computer on stage....but maybe. I will say that when I think of the months/years of scrimping and saving to buy gear when I was a teen, and today spending pennies for animoogs and the like, I would have killed for synths that sound like this for this price back then!! (of course an i-anything in the 70's would've been nothing short of magic) Still though, I prefer my mono/poly to any soft synth, and I still hope to save my pennies and own a minimoog (D, not voyager. I could compromise on a prodigy though) before I leave this world.
For me it has nothing to do with being trendy though. It is sound, interface, and personal nostalgia.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:I like analog guitars.
As opposed to digital guitars?
Aren't those a tie fighter and an X-wing fighter?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:59 am

Those are nice digital Synthesizer/Guitars, but I have to admit I like the analog ones built in the 60's/70's for nostalgic reasons. Must be the wood?Image

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am

Man CZ that pic kills me every time you post it :giveheart:

...like most of your pics do... :headbang:

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 pm

For me analogue means less about the sound generation and more about the interface. A Korg EA1 is more approachable (and therefore analogue) than a mopho IMO. Our modern digital age has a certain presumption that we are totally fine and happy to be part time programmers and manual readers. I certainly am not when performing with ectronic instruments.

I think this is why people have always turned to their "analogues" because nothing needs to be configured. The analogue all set to go. You need not do anything but perform.

My "analogue" instruments include the piano, TR808, guitar, the electribes, kaosspads, Nord Lead 2, Vermona Drm etc. With all these instruments I can pick them up or swith them on and be instantly interacting with all the features it has. Come to think of it, I do like Korg's product philosophy with their (unfotunately named) DJ Dance products. It seems there is definitely some ethos of less programmability are more playability.

My latest purchase has been a Nord Lead 2x. It was a decision between that and a Vermona Perfourmer. Call me lazy but I picked the Nord because it had a Keyboard (even though not actually analogue). To use the Perfourmer I would first have to plug in a midi controller, psu and locate and a midi cable, then make sure it is connected to my mixer. With the Nord I can just switch it on and listen through headphones (not as fast as my Ukulele but close!)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Jiggz wrote:For me analogue means less about the sound generation and more about the interface. A Korg EA1 is more approachable (and therefore analogue) than a mopho IMO. Our modern digital age has a certain presumption that we are totally fine and happy to be part time programmers and manual readers. I certainly am not when performing with ectronic instruments.

I think this is why people have always turned to their "analogues" because nothing needs to be configured. The analogue all set to go. You need not do anything but perform.

My "analogue" instruments include the piano, TR808, guitar, the electribes, kaosspads, Nord Lead 2, Vermona Drm etc. With all these instruments I can pick them up or swith them on and be instantly interacting with all the features it has. Come to think of it, I do like Korg's product philosophy with their (unfotunately named) DJ Dance products. It seems there is definitely some ethos of less programmability are more playability.

My latest purchase has been a Nord Lead 2x. It was a decision between that and a Vermona Perfourmer. Call me lazy but I picked the Nord because it had a Keyboard (even though not actually analogue). To use the Perfourmer I would first have to plug in a midi controller, psu and locate and a midi cable, then make sure it is connected to my mixer. With the Nord I can just switch it on and listen through headphones (not as fast as my Ukulele but close!)
+1 for interface. this is mainly why I got into (eurorack) modular. instant interaction, no menus, hardly any instruction manuals. instant interaction, instant results! :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:13 am

Jiggz wrote:For me analogue means less about the sound generation and more about the interface. A Korg EA1 is more approachable (and therefore analogue) than a mopho IMO.
Jiggz wrote:My "analogue" instruments include the piano, TR808, guitar, the electribes, kaosspads, Nord Lead 2, Vermona Drm etc.

Whatever bizarre interfacing meaning you wish to ascribe to "Analogue" or "Digital" is absolutely ridiculous. Just say it has an immediate interface don't confuse s**t by saying your f**k kaosspad is "Analogue" jesus.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:07 am

I was about to point that out too. Analogue is an actual word that already has a meaning, one can't just decide to call something analogue just because they think it's like something else. :thumbright:

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:12 am

I play solitaire with real cards. Is this analog? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: