The obsession for the Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: The obsession for the Analog

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 am

phesago wrote:I play solitaire with real cards. Is this analog? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This question is boolean, so cold and digital.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 am

tekkentool wrote:
Jiggz wrote:For me analogue means less about the sound generation and more about the interface. A Korg EA1 is more approachable (and therefore analogue) than a mopho IMO.
Jiggz wrote:My "analogue" instruments include the piano, TR808, guitar, the electribes, kaosspads, Nord Lead 2, Vermona Drm etc.

Whatever bizarre interfacing meaning you wish to ascribe to "Analogue" or "Digital" is absolutely ridiculous. Just say it has an immediate interface don't confuse s**t by saying your f**k kaosspad is "Analogue" jesus.
You are right. For the complete newbies on here (and those who might still get confused like yourself) I should have made it clear that a Kaosspad is not analogue.

For those who already know this however, I hope that they might realize that when I suggest that an electribe or Kaosspad is analogue, they realize that I mean in it's immediacy and approach. Vintage analogue synths are renowned for their immediacy.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:44 pm

:lol:
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Jiggz wrote: For those who already know this however, I hope that they might realize that when I suggest that an electribe or Kaosspad is analogue, they realize that I mean in it's immediacy and approach. Vintage analogue synths are renowned for their immediacy.
Misappropriated words for the sake of crippled similes (which requires the qualifier like) are not going to get your point across.

I can suggest my p***s is a popsicle all day long, as both are renowned for the loveliness on a hot summer day, but waving one of them around in public is going to land me in jail.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Time to stop waving those popsicles around, tallow...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Jiggz wrote:For those who already know this however, I hope that they might realize that when I suggest that an electribe or Kaosspad is analogue, they realize that I mean in it's immediacy and approach.
No. Those that already know will think you have no idea what you're talking about...

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Since my original post of attempting to contribute something towards this thread there has been only one decent comment and 5 or so negative responses that boils down to nothing other than pitiful hairsplitting over me offering a simile to the the term analogue.

I joined this forum way before many of you, and actually left promptly because I didn't like the atmosphere and the direction the forum was taking - that being a certain type of synth snobbery and synth "correctness":

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 2&start=45

There has been a thread started saying VSE forums have cooled down. With this level of attack and intolerance towards open discussion it in no way surprises me:

peace gentleman

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 am

:truce:

No offense intended. It's just that words have a meaning, which influences how one perceives things. You can just use the terms "hardware" and as you already said "immediacy", no? "Immediate hardware". "Knob per function interface". Why misuse the term "analog" for that?

:hippie:

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:11 am

Jiggz wrote:pitiful hairsplitting
Quoted using Wikipedia: "The term "analogue" describes the proportional relationship between a signal and a voltage or current that represents the signal."

That being said, poor choice of words to coin your own meaning to; come on - what do you expect in a board full of f**k synth nerds? I re-read your original post like a dozen times to see if I myself could relate to what you were saying (using your terminology). What I got out of your comment was you taking the idea of an immediate interface and applying it somehow to (analogous to, in fact) the definition of analogue.

Certainly not splitting of individual hairs in this instance, I'm afraid.
Jiggz wrote:certain type of synth snobbery and synth "correctness"
If you mean that certain people here expect others to hold on steadfast to proper definition, then I agree. Snobbery, I don't detect any in this instance. There were no attacks nor intolerance -- other than people being intolerant of others re-defining the textbook definition of a term that itself defines a good portion of the technology in focus...

Also since you're feeling attacked, way to throw down the 'seniority' card there. If the level of responses you received are that intolerable, I expect that immediately after reading this you''ll put the keyboard down and go fetch a proper textbook and a comfy chair and settle in for a contention-free evening. ;)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:11 am

Jiggz, Hands-on immediacy and Analog are not synonyms. They have never been and those pointing that out aren't "hair-splitting", they are just presenting rightfully deserved criticism. It isn't a matter of being a "snob" or a show of some kind of PC "correctness" but calling a spade a spade.

In this you are completely wrong and it isn't only a matter of being off base, it is a show of limited thinking and short-sightedness. For decades digital synths have had knobs and sliders and calling them analog serves no purpose but to muddle communication.

consider that not all analog synths have a knob/slider per function and that exclusion doesn't somehow make them a digital synth or any less analog.

(ps. this is a great growth opportunity to admit that your thinking was wrong and learn from it and move on rather than to stubbornly cling to a false idea and blame those around you)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 am

Jiggz wrote: You are right. For the complete newbies on here (and those who might still get confused like yourself) I should have made it clear that a Kaosspad is not analogue.

For those who already know this however, I hope that they might realize that when I suggest that an electribe or Kaosspad is analogue, they realize that I mean in it's immediacy and approach. Vintage analogue synths are renowned for their immediacy.
I like that you think I'm confused :lol: I think you're confused, easily angered senior member. Back to the home grandpa!

I understood exactly why you chose to connect the term "analogue" to something with an immediate interface, i just thought it was retarded how you did. Maybe if you stopped reminiscing about the good ol days of WWI so much and actually read my post you might figure that out. Believe it or not there is the possibility that people actually understood your post and still thought you were wrong and that your simile was baseless. It only serves to reduce the clarity of the already murky terminology that surrounds describing the properties of synthesizers. Only way it could have been worse is if you somehow included the word "phat" in there.

Nothing more immediate then setting up a moog modular, mmm cables. 8-)

THE MOST "ANALOGUE" SYNTH OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

>more immediate interface, more easily able to reroute patch leads
>super easy access to effects and processing

.`. Massive > Moog modular in "analogue" ness.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:52 am

_seph wrote:consider that not all analog synths have a knob/slider per function and that exclusion doesn't somehow make them a digital synth or any less analog.
Analog from the merriam-webster online dictionary:
"of, relating to, or being a mechanism in which data is represented by continuously variable physical quantities"

Now being musicians which we are foremost and not programmers (i hope), then if I want to modulate my "data" (music) by a "physical quantity" and I can do that more rapidly by turning a knob than diving into a menu system - then is not that system more effective?

I am not trying to rewrite the definition of analogue and digital synths. I am merely trying to suggest that when we want to express ourselves musically and a system enables us to do that with more efficiency, then that is a better system.

Another way to interpret the definition would be to look at the sound generation mechanism. An analogue synth is certainly "continuously variable", even more "continuous" than a digital synth since the voltage is a continuous stream of data without interruption. A digital synth full of one's and zero's is noway continuous. Unfortunately this is the real benchmark for the meaning of analogue which is a shame when I have to flick through a few pages of menu to modulate something I can do by just grabbing a knob on a non-analogue Nord Lead.
Last edited by Jiggz on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 am

silikon wrote: I expect that immediately after reading this you''ll put the keyboard down and go fetch a proper textbook and a comfy chair and settle in for a contention-free evening. ;)
That book and a comfy chair sounds like a good idea, most definitely analogue! :)

Jiggz

Post by Jiggz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 am

tekkentool wrote:
THE MOST "ANALOGUE" SYNTH OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

>more immediate interface, more easily able to reroute patch leads
>super easy access to effects and processing

.`. Massive > Moog modular in "analogue" ness.
that is very nice but Mother Nature has provided me with 3 dimensions, I do not want to limit my experience working in 2

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 am

Jiggz wrote:That book and a comfy chair sounds like a good idea, most definitely analogue!

Also...
Jiggz wrote:Analog from the merriam-webster online dictionary:
"of, relating to, or being a mechanism in which data is represented by continuously variable physical quantities"

Now being musicians which we are foremost and not programmers (i hope), then if I want to modulate my "data" (music) by a "physical quantity" and I can do that more rapidly by turning a knob than diving into a menu system - then is not that system more effective?
echo 1 > /dev/awesome