The obsession for the Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bouzoukijoe1

Re: The obsession for the Analog

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:14 am

Jiggz wrote:Since my original post of attempting to contribute something towards this thread there has been only one decent comment and 5 or so negative responses that boils down to nothing other than pitiful hairsplitting over me offering a simile to the the term analogue.

I joined this forum way before many of you, and actually left promptly because I didn't like the atmosphere and the direction the forum was taking - that being a certain type of synth snobbery and synth "correctness":

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 2&start=45

There has been a thread started saying VSE forums have cooled down. With this level of attack and intolerance towards open discussion it in no way surprises me:

peace gentleman
VSE = Vigorous Semantic Examination
beware, it's more intense here than the nyc bar association's fact checking department.
all we do is anallyze analog all day. :lol:
:drums: :dj: :guitar: :keys1:Image

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 am

Jiggz wrote: Now being musicians which we are foremost and not programmers (i hope), then if I want to modulate my "data" (music) by a "physical quantity" and I can do that more rapidly by turning a knob than diving into a menu system - then is not that system more effective?

I am not trying to rewrite the definition of analogue and digital synths. I am merely trying to suggest that when we want to express ourselves musically and a system enables us to do that with more efficiency, then that is a better system.
So what does that have to do with it being analogue or digital again? :| Seems to just be about efficiency, some would just say "Efficiency" but I suppose that would be too straightforward for your experienced brain.
Jiggz wrote: Another way to interpret the definition would be to look at the sound generation mechanism. An analogue synth is certainly "continuously variable", even more "continuous" than a digital synth since the voltage is a continuous stream of data without interruption. A digital synth full of one's and zero's is noway continuous. Unfortunately this is the real benchmark for the meaning of analogue which is a shame when I have to flick through a few pages of menu to modulate something I can do by just grabbing a knob on a non-analogue Nord Lead.
:| did you even read this before you posted it? I cannot possibly for a moment understand why you think the things you think.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:52 am

tekkentool wrote:I like that you think I'm confused :lol: I think you're confused, easily angered senior member. Back to the home grandpa!

I understood exactly why you chose to connect the term "analogue" to something with an immediate interface, i just thought it was retarded how you did. Maybe if you stopped reminiscing about the good ol days of WWI so much and actually read my post you might figure that out. Believe it or not there is the possibility that people actually understood your post and still thought you were wrong and that your simile was baseless. It only serves to reduce the clarity of the already murky terminology that surrounds describing the properties of synthesizers. Only way it could have been worse is if you somehow included the word "phat" in there.
[mod hat] Cool it with the personal attacks. Just cause the guy is wrong doesn't mean you can be a j**k about it. [/mod hat]

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:34 am

I have absolutely no interest in digital synths. With the exception of JD-800...

I dont care if there's any other interesting forms of synthesis. The analogs works well, are fun to use, produce the sounds that I like and are creative and challenging. I would not call this a obsession, its just a taste. And yes I bought most of my stuff very cheap.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 am

Likewise ive little intrest in digital synths, im always thinking if advances are that good in newer things why are analogues not dead and buried?, if analogues were say a mere 15 years max old i might understand , but they are not and as one example a white 2800 Arp Odyssey which i own 3 of are 40 years old ,still here in 2012 still working ,making the same sound as when new and still much used and respected yet mention Billy Currie /Ultravox oops that slipped i could not help it the Odyssey enjoys another year, why is there no love or affection for modern gear? get rid of the menu screen and that would be a start.
yamoto773

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Jiggz wrote: Now being musicians which we are foremost and not programmers (i hope),
What's wrong about programmers...? :blink:
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:19 pm

bochelli wrote:Likewise ive little intrest in digital synths, im always thinking if advances are that good in newer things why are analogues not dead and buried?, if analogues were say a mere 15 years max old i might understand , but they are not and as one example a white 2800 Arp Odyssey which i own 3 of are 40 years old ,still here in 2012 still working ,making the same sound as when new and still much used and respected yet mention Billy Currie /Ultravox oops that slipped i could not help it the Odyssey enjoys another year, why is there no love or affection for modern gear? get rid of the menu screen and that would be a start.
Well, because your definition of good is not definitive in regards the entirety of all synth players.

To rephrase: because not everybody, thinks analogs are aweseome for example me who hass 3 Alesis SR16s because I love that mid 90s drum machine, sound.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Okay okay...I'm going to try to shine a little light into this thread...

Let's remember, this is a forum on a site called "vintage synth explorer". What does that mean? It means that this is where many like-minded people come to find out information about "vintage synths". Most of those "vintage synths" are basically what we would today call "analog" though in the 70s (I wasn't around but I'm guessing) most people just called them synths or keyboards, since there was no "digital" music generation. So, the group of people here is already biased toward these instruments that had their heyday in the 70s. Of course most of us think analog is better--it's VINTAGE synth explorer, not NEW synth explorer (even though there are plenty of new synths reviewed on here). Hence the continual bias and assertion that "analog is better".

I'm more biased to "analog" than to digital sounds, but there's a huge range in there, and of course, there are cross-overs and unique pieces of gear that really don't fit neatly into one category or another. I have that basic bias, but then I look at a list of gear for one of my favorite bands, say, Covenant (the swedish electro group) and read that they used primarily digital samplers, Casio CZ 1000/5000 and so forth to make their first couple records. I have personally become a huge fan of the Casio CZ series because of its unique sound. So, as many people have said before on this site, it is really about the sounds. Most likely, none of your favorite bands (except a very small number of exceptions) sticks to a "pure" analog recipe. Good musicians make music that sounds interesting and is inventive using what they have. If you're an inventive musician, you can make good music with what's around, and if that means cheap Casios and Yamahas made for home use, then that's what you use because that's what you can afford. Most musicians leave the arguing up to the purists. And this site is where the purists congregate. If you gave Kraftwerk a bunch of toys and told them to make a song, they would (and they already did...in the late 70s). I'll bet if you gave Vince Clarke a Yamaha DJX and an amp, he could turn a nursing home into a rave.

Now...Stop fighting and lay down some beats! Let's make some music that doesn't suck so I have something to listen to, instead of fighting over whose instruments are intrinsically better.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

bochelli wrote:Likewise ive little intrest in digital synths, im always thinking if advances are that good in newer things why are analogues not dead and buried?, if analogues were say a mere 15 years max old i might understand , but they are not and as one example a white 2800 Arp Odyssey which i own 3 of are 40 years old ,still here in 2012 still working ,making the same sound as when new and still much used and respected yet mention Billy Currie /Ultravox oops that slipped i could not help it the Odyssey enjoys another year, why is there no love or affection for modern gear? get rid of the menu screen and that would be a start.
and likewise, I have little interest in analog synths and if analog is so great, why hasn't everyone realized their error by now and stopped making/purchasing digital synths?

anyway, I'm glad you love your Odysseys. I much enjoyed my time with my old mk3, however after owning a good deal of vintage analog gear I find that although fun, it doesn't have much place in my music. For example, I much prefer the hybrid Evolver to my old Odyssey and when it comes to mono synths the Prophecy is perhaps my favorite. This doesn't mean I feel that analog synths are bad or inferior, if I had the space and finances they would be great toys to have on hand, but they aren't my choice of tool.

there is plenty of love and affection for modern gear, but probably a forum based around vintage synths isn't the most ideal place for it. Personally, (monetary resale values aside) I would rather have my modern V-Synth than any other synth.

analog/digital, vintage/modern, hardware/software, acoustic/electric, etc.... all potential colors and textures

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 pm

First of all, they still make analogue synths...a lot of analogue synths.

Second of all for most intents and purposes they have been killed, aside from some indie bands and stuff like that most people who are producing music just use VST's. Even to me personally any hardware synths are more faff around and rare purpose tools. When it comes down to just wanting to put a track down I'd be 100% using VST's because productivity wise they're incomparable. My new computer has a 3.5 GHZ quad core processor in it. I could probably run 100 instances of massive if I wanted to. I mean lady gaga's first two albums, most of the production was done with the stock f**k synth VST that comes with logic.

The new wave of american EDM that everyone's eating up? how much of that was with analogue synths.

Dubstep?

Rap/Hip hop? (aside from a few unique examples, thanks kanye)

I think you've got tunnel vision about what people actually use, vintage synths become more and more hobbyist by the year.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 pm

tekkentool wrote:
First of all, they still make analogue synths...a lot of analogue synths.

Second of all for most intents and purposes they have been killed, aside from some indie bands and stuff like that most people who are producing music just use VST's. Even to me personally any hardware synths are more faff around and rare purpose tools. When it comes down to just wanting to put a track down I'd be 100% using VST's because productivity wise they're incomparable. My new computer has a 3.5 GHZ quad core processor in it. I could probably run 100 instances of massive if I wanted to. I mean lady gaga's first two albums, most of the production was done with the stock f**k synth VST that comes with logic. John Foxx tld me different he still uses the old guys, the vst and digital route is starting to repeat itself i find, until there is a breakthrough in the way keyboards operate the old synths will still be here, curtis chips will not forever i grant you but not all old synths use them , there are always a way round.

The new wave of american EDM that everyone's eating up? how much of that was with analogue synths.

Dubstep?

Rap/Hip hop? (aside from a few unique examples, thanks kanye)

I think you've got tunnel vision about what people actually use, vintage synths become more and more hobbyist by the year.
yamoto773

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:20 pm

tekkentool wrote: vintage synths become more and more hobbyist by the year.
not to mention more overpriced.

There's a local music store around my place that has a Mono/Poly, and they're asking $1800. Which honestly....wouldn't be so high.....if it wasn't broken :roll:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 am

bochelli wrote:
errr... :?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am

tekkentool wrote:...vintage synths become more and more hobbyist by the year.
Forgetting the fact you mentioned Lady Gaga, I actually kinda agree with the above statement. I've bought a lot of analog gear and frankly it's a big pain in the a*s for a variety of reasons *but* one thing it can do and will continue to do better than any VST is put out some seriously nice tone.

At the end of the day, one has to weigh up whether it is worth the hassle for the best sound, or if workflow and ease of use are more important to your music making process. Keeping in mind it is not a perfect world, yes vintage analog synths are fast becoming more viable for hobbyists and collectors than professionals in the industry :geek:

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 pm

f**k it all.