Ponies that can walk on their tail

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Ponies that can walk on their tail

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:24 pm

What are your favorite one-trick ponies? and WHY?

Yeah, they all can do some other things, but excel at that one particular thing. A robust instrument is useful, but I find much joy with devices that do a few things well. Feel free to include instruments that can do a lot more that you use in a very limited capacity, because it does that something so well.

Simmons toms
Why? I think some of my love here is do to nostalgia, but oh well. Dooowsh, is such a nice sound. What pleases me the most with my sds-400 are the pings/ tuned percussion. They have a tonal quality that evolves in a very pleasing fashion through time. The sharpness of the amp envelope with a roundness added by the filter and pitch modulation and 2nd skin (ring mod like effect).
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Ponies that can walk on their tail

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Well hate to say it but 303, for obvious reasons. But what a trick it is!! :D

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 pm

MS-20, for general resonant growling and resonant formant-like sounds. that's the only reason I go for it these days. everything else it does, another synth can do just as well if not better. but it's slowly getting overshadowed by my eurorack modular. and I find less and less reasons to use the MS-20 by the day. in fact, I've thought of getting rid of it many times.

I don't really believe in using cliché synths to create cliché sounds, so I think that's the reason I'm using the MS-20 less and less. I'm always looking for other ways to get those full-bodied bandpass resonant growls that the MS-20 is so good at, all the better if it's not the same sound. I'm finding other equivalents in euro that are just as interesting and can replace the MS-20 part in a mix.

also, Supernova for softer, warmer digital polyphony. since I don't own any vintage analog polysynths anymore, this is my go-to for that sound. it's something that my Virus just can't easily do. Supernova isn't really a one-trick pony, but that's the one thing I use it for.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Unless the synthesis model is really limited (303 etc.), there's no such thing as a one trick pony in my book. It's all up to the user to use a synth in a specific (or unconventional) way. With a good supply of external effects, even a 303 could be used in a totally unconventional way.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 pm

The 303 isnt realy a one trick pony, but the closest Ive got. And I love it.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

I kinda miss my ARP String Ensemble. A one-trick pony, but, boy what a nice trick.

I didn't want to sell it, but was given a good offer thinking I could easily replace it.

I still have my Roland RS-505 which is nice with its own character, but there's something about the old Solina...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 am

Juno 6/60/106.

I was going to say my old SH-101, but it really turned out to not be a one trick pony. Maybe a two or three trick pony? :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:19 am

A couple of more stringers I'm really into. Logan String Melody II has a lot of organ character but retains that brilliant triple-BBD ensemble sound. And the VP-330, dubbed the other Vangelis synth, is really a three-trick pony but when it seems so limited oh what sound it does have.

Dimension D, or the Boss DC-2 pedal which is what I have, are THE definitive one-trick-ponies of the effects world. What they lack in features is totally justified in their magnificent analog chorus processing. Let me add the Maestro Phase Shifter as the definitive effect with the biggest MOJO I have gotten my hands on to date.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:48 am

Alex E wrote:I was going to say my old SH-101, but it really turned out to not be a one trick pony. Maybe a two or three trick pony?
More like a swiss army knife for me. Is the 727 fair game? I only use it when I want latin percussion sounds... :dontknow:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 am

garranimal wrote:Let me add the Maestro Phase Shifter as the definitive effect with the biggest MOJO I have gotten my hands on to date.
+1

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am

Piano

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Piano
Not if your name is John Cage.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

True but I could stick my c**k in a bassoon but it will still be a bassoon.

Not suggesting that's what Cage did.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 pm

zoomtheline wrote: Not suggesting that's what Cage did.
I wouldn't put it past him... :shock:

I had an Electro-Harmonix Mini Synth once upon a time. My impression was that it was good for one thing: Taurus-style bass, and that's what I used it for.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Piano
:banghead: