New Elektron box--Analog Four

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

New Elektron box--Analog Four

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 am

Funny that this hasn't been mentioned here yet, Elektron have a new thing coming out soon and have released a teaser shot.

Looks like it has CV outputs and a built in synth, I'm really looking forward to seeing what it is. The filters in the Octatrack sound great so if this is a VA/sequencer combo I'll be very happy.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Re: New Elektron box

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Funny that this hasn't been mentioned here yet, Elektron have a new thing coming out soon and have released a teaser shot.

Looks like it has CV outputs and a built in synth, I'm really looking forward to seeing what it is. The filters in the Octatrack sound great so if this is a VA/sequencer combo I'll be very happy.
i know everyone gets sick of hearing this, but I hope it's cheaper than what they have now. the elektron stuff all looks pretty cool.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:54 am

i have yett to mess with elektron stuff. i keep hearing good things though

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:53 am

phesago wrote:i have yett to mess with elektron stuff. i keep hearing good things though
It's certainly worth a look, I have a Machinedrum UW and it's just about my favorite thing in the whole world, definately not for everyone but it's incredibly deep instrument in the right hands, I've had it about 2 years a I feel I've barely scratched the surface.

I'm pretty excited by this new machine, I was planning on getting a monomachine but I'll hold off until this is launched. I'm hoping for some kind of multi-timbral analog/hybrid machine. "Tradition & Future" seems to suggest something along these lines.
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:57 pm

6 part/track monosynth? Dual osc, ext. input with delay, chorus & 'verb.

It looks like the 7th track might say "drums", but hard to tell.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The filters in the Octatrack sound great so if this is a VA/sequencer combo I'll be very happy.
Looks cool. I guess a lot of people will be all over this thing for a while until it's the general consensus that it's brittle or aggressive in a bad way sounding, like the other stuff from electron is known to be.. ;)

Haven't heard anything bad about the octatrack though. Does it differ from the machinedrum and monomachine sound quality wise?

They sure seem to make instruments that do some interesting and unusual tricks.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:41 pm

I have a weird feeling that I'm going to want this.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Like the world REALLY needs another 2VCO mono/polysynth..VA or no VA..there are too many on the market already.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Bitexion wrote:Like the world REALLY needs another 2VCO mono/polysynth..VA or no VA..there are too many on the market already.
That depends. A feature rich VA or analog combined with kick a*s sequencer functions cleverly implemented into an intuitive box that's easy and fun to use is always something I'd consider if it will do the right tricks and sound good.

I'd much prefer poly over mono though. And preferably several sequencer tracks with different length, time and tempo options and effects. If the instrument is good enough it will sell even at high prices. Personally I'd have to sell something to be able to afford it, but wouldn't hesitate if its features and sound was what I wanted.

For instance, a TI2 is nice but ridiculously expensive, and would be 100 times more interesting with a crazy multitrack sequencer built into it and nicely laid out on the upper right side of the keyboard. I'd feel better about shelling out 5k for that than how I feel about the 3k I spent on mine, even though I like it a lot.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:14 am

HUBA wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The filters in the Octatrack sound great so if this is a VA/sequencer combo I'll be very happy.
Looks cool. I guess a lot of people will be all over this thing for a while until it's the general consensus that it's brittle or aggressive in a bad way sounding, like the other stuff from electron is known to be.. ;)

Haven't heard anything bad about the octatrack though. Does it differ from the machinedrum and monomachine sound quality wise?

They sure seem to make instruments that do some interesting and unusual tricks.
Octatrack sounds nothing like the MNM, I haven't used a MD though so can't comment on it. A bandmate of mine has a MNM and I've never really liked the sound of it; the Octatrack sounds fantastic. Elektron have had eight years more DSP programming experience since the Monomachine so I don't think this will sounds the same.
Bitexion wrote:Like the world REALLY needs another 2VCO mono/polysynth..VA or no VA..there are too many on the market already.
You don't really get the Elektron way of doing things do you? This won't be a another boring synth, for a start it's a sequencer with CV out.

My money's on this being more like a Cirklon with FX and a synth built in, something that people with modular systems can use as a centrepiece for their system rather than just a groovebox type thing.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:21 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:My money's on this being more like a Cirklon with FX and a synth built in, something that people with modular systems can use as a centrepiece for their system rather than just a groovebox type thing.
That sound spretty bad a*s actually

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:49 am

HUBA wrote:
Bitexion wrote: For instance, a TI2 is nice but ridiculously expensive, and would be 100 times more interesting with a crazy multitrack sequencer built into it and nicely laid out on the upper right side of the keyboard. I'd feel better about shelling out 5k for that than how I feel about the 3k I spent on mine, even though I like it a lot.
You do realise you can buy things to do said sequencing for a fair bit less than 2000 dollars....

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 am

At first I thoughs it's a sequencer with midi and CV. (Note the CV A -> CV D tags)

Things like LFOs and envelopes to do interesting automations..
Also it looks ALOT like the europa.
I just hope they dont charge the earth for it (they will, I know.)

I guessed it's possible that it also includes some synth parts but I'm not sure about that.. I see the reverb tag though so it has something to do with sound..

What about a combined mixer + fx + sequencer? hmmm

*edit*

Can also see osc 1 + osc 2 tags... So perhaps it's an analog synth with built in sequencer, capable of being linked into a modular? I am really uncertain now.

The buttons on the side are for muting tracks.... maybe its not an analog synth, its just capable of doing some CV control?

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 am

Tease-y indeed.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:A bandmate of mine has a MNM and I've never really liked the sound of it; the Octatrack sounds fantastic. Elektron have had eight years more DSP programming experience since the Monomachine so I don't think this will sounds the same.
Sounds promising!
phesago wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:My money's on this being more like a Cirklon with FX and a synth built in, something that people with modular systems can use as a centrepiece for their system rather than just a groovebox type thing.
That sound spretty bad a*s actually
Indeed
tekkentool wrote:
HUBA wrote:
Bitexion wrote: For instance, a TI2 is nice but ridiculously expensive, and would be 100 times more interesting with a crazy multitrack sequencer built into it and nicely laid out on the upper right side of the keyboard. I'd feel better about shelling out 5k for that than how I feel about the 3k I spent on mine, even though I like it a lot.
You do realise you can buy things to do said sequencing for a fair bit less than 2000 dollars....
Synths with advanced sequencers integrated allow for things using external sequencers wouldn't. Like closer interaction with LFOs, envelopes, triggering, mod matrix etc. Integrated sequencers could also potentially take advantage of the specific synths features, and workflow wise it would be unbeatable if done right.

The 2k difference was just to say that I'd be willing to pay for the integrated sequencer to be the important part of the instrument it deserves to be, instead of the typical integrated sequencer that is awkward and simplified and step sequencing only and that looks thrown in at the end as an afterthought.

Think about what you'd be able to get with say the virus I used as an example if you paid 2k more for an integrated sequencer. Think lots of knobs and buttons, super fast and a pleasure to use. 2k would probably be enough to throw in more voices and sampling too. I'd sell my car or skip vacation for 2 years for something like that if I lived alone.

To me Electron seem to be one of the most likely manufacturers to bring something like that to the market, although I doubt they will ever cut few enough corners to make it really great. But it's allowed to dream :)
Last edited by HUBA on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.