New Elektron box--Analog Four

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Re: New Elektron box

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:45 am

cgren72 wrote:Another something new to sell your something that is still pretty new for.
It is interesting though, the octatrack looks awesome. I haven't owned any Elektron gear
Honestly, Elektron makes some of the easiest tools to use in my studio. As natural as picking up a guitar, and just as fluid at composing...I cannot speak more highly of the user experience...It sometimes takes some creativity when it comes to expanding sounds, but isn't that why we all probably own more than one synth or sound module?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm

I remember finding the Monomachine's OS completely impenetrable when I wanted to check it out for the SID sounds in a store once. Couldn't make anything of it..

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Bitexion wrote:I remember finding the Monomachine's OS completely impenetrable when I wanted to check it out for the SID sounds in a store once. Couldn't make anything of it..
A read of the manual would have helped. Elektron gear isn't the kind you can work out from scratch without reading the manual first.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

I really really really wish I could find a SID station in Norway for less than $1000 :(

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:27 pm

hyphen nation wrote:
cgren72 wrote:Another something new to sell your something that is still pretty new for.
It is interesting though, the octatrack looks awesome. I haven't owned any Elektron gear
Honestly, Elektron makes some of the easiest tools to use in my studio. As natural as picking up a guitar, and just as fluid at composing...I cannot speak more highly of the user experience...It sometimes takes some creativity when it comes to expanding sounds, but isn't that why we all probably own more than one synth or sound module?
I just picked up an octatrack, and couldn't agree less with ease of use lol. Or at least the learning curve. Its been a week, haven't been able to do anything constructive yet, and I've had to bring the manual everywhere I go just to understand this thing. It's whole approach is completely alien to me, I'm slowly beginning to understand it now only since I've watched every single youtube tutorial on it. Otherwise, imo the manual is poorly written, and seems like a choose your own adventure story book where you constantly flip pages in the wrong order...

I haven't lost hope in it yet however. I still think the box has a lot of potential and I can't wait to tap it...
‹‡›

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm

It looks a vast machine to be honest. I recently bought a machinedrum uw and within 10 mins was making some usable stuff. So intuitive and is now the centrepiece that was always missing.
Last edited by zoomtheline on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Bitexion wrote:I really really really wish I could find a SID station in Norway for less than $1000 :(
It's one on finn.no right now in case you haven't noticed. Seems they don't show up all that often, but if you don't want one enough to just pay whatever sellers are asking, you could always give it a few days and then make an offer. Might just work. The market for semi obscure synths seems to be quite small in Norway, and there are nice deals to be had occasionally, as many prefer to get rid of it locally before putting it on ebay.

I got a V-synth that looks brand new for 6000NOK ($1k) and a RE-201 in very nice condition for 3000. Both was listed for 1000NOK more. Fair deals when you concider the shipping and tax expenses with buying through ebay.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:31 pm

7000 NOK is a bit heavy for that little box..I like the SID sound so much I even tried to learn how to program the damn thing in C64 assembly code (with an emulator). Can't imagine how the SID musicians managed to CODE their entire songs back in the 80s. I get lost in frequency conversion tables and byte-sized envelopes and hex values.

Besides, I spent 4500NOK on a minibrute last week, time to restrain the GAS for a while :)

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 pm

oops wrong thread sorry
Last edited by bouzoukijoe1 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 pm

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:check this out, it seems like even back in 2002 synths like the M1 were already considered vintage. interesting. I thought for sure that this was just a recent phenomenon with the rise of software synths.

Sound on Sound:
"If you're in the market for a powerful and still-popular vintage digital synth, consider the M1. "

DX7 - 1983-87
M1 - 1988-94
Wrong thread methinks.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Bitexion wrote:7000 NOK is a bit heavy for that little box..I like the SID sound so much I even tried to learn how to program the damn thing in C64 assembly code (with an emulator). Can't imagine how the SID musicians managed to CODE their entire songs back in the 80s. I get lost in frequency conversion tables and byte-sized envelopes and hex values.
http://www.8bitventures.com/mssiah/

http://cadaver.homeftp.net/tools.htm

Doing it wrong!

Tracker bitches!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Well, I know of those. But they weren't available to SID musicians back in the day, so I didn't wanna use them.
I wanted to program in assembly code like Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway did. Fricking hard, though.

Re: messiah, takes forever to increase and decrease parameters on the Prophet64/messiah thingie. Changing parameters with the keyboard is also a mess without the documentation (I used ROMs).

Buuuut now we're straying pretty far off-topic, so :lol:

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:03 am

Bitexion wrote:I like the SID sound so much I even tried to learn how to program the damn thing in C64 assembly code (with an emulator). Can't imagine how the SID musicians managed to CODE their entire songs back in the 80s. I get lost in frequency conversion tables and byte-sized envelopes and hex values.
Yeah seems cumbersome. More of a programmers thing than a rock&roll/live musicians kinda thing maybe.

Personally what I'd like more than the SID sound is something that would let me bend and modulate the 12bit like (?) sound used in the super nintendo. Don't know if they're just samples made with something else, but many of those FX sounds do sound like they're made with one specific machine with a trippy arpeggiator.

Maybe I just need to try a 12bit sampler..

Edit: Apparently the 8-bit Sony SPC700 sound chip was used for the SNES sounds. Can't find any sound toys that used this chip as sound engine though, so to pull this halfway back on topic, the NEXT new elektron box should be something like a SNESstation or a SIDstation2. Using that sony chip. ADD crazy modulation, lots of knobs and a wicked filter. I'd buy that! 8-)

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:39 am

I would too actually, I grew up in front of a super nintendo, i feel alot more nostalgic for their music than for original 8 bit/gameboy type stuff.

If I recall correctly there is actually a way to load short samples of some kind, although I may be mistaken/cant remember

That said, I'm still racking my brain over what this box could be... I'm thinking analog monosynth + multitrack sequencer + digital fx (maaaaybe multitrack inputs/mixing?)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:00 am

I'm really not expecting any analogue in this box, elektron do digital so well I don't see the point in them doing analogue. I could be wrong though.