New Elektron box--Analog Four

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: New Elektron box

Post by tekkentool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:39 am

HUBA wrote: Edit: Apparently the 8-bit Sony SPC700 sound chip was used for the SNES sounds. Can't find any sound toys that used this chip as sound engine though, so to pull this halfway back on topic, the NEXT new elektron box should be something like a SNESstation or a SIDstation2. Using that sony chip. ADD crazy modulation, lots of knobs and a wicked filter. I'd buy that! 8-)
I don't think anybody would bother, there is barely any advantage over doing that instead of just sequencing using lower bitrate samples and restricting yourself to the 8 voice limitation of the original sound chip.

Just use something like milkytracker if you want access to nutty arpeggiators and per note sample control.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:15 am

tekkentool wrote:
HUBA wrote: Edit: Apparently the 8-bit Sony SPC700 sound chip was used for the SNES sounds. Can't find any sound toys that used this chip as sound engine though, so to pull this halfway back on topic, the NEXT new elektron box should be something like a SNESstation or a SIDstation2. Using that sony chip. ADD crazy modulation, lots of knobs and a wicked filter. I'd buy that! 8-)
I don't think anybody would bother, there is barely any advantage over doing that instead of just sequencing using lower bitrate samples and restricting yourself to the 8 voice limitation of the original sound chip.

Just use something like milkytracker if you want access to nutty arpeggiators and per note sample control.
Thanks. I'll look into that. :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:23 am

Bitexion wrote:I really really really wish I could find a SID station in Norway for less than $1000 :(
Keep an eye out for a Sammich SID, they come up fairly often on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0 ... te=1&rt=nc

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am

They can't make more SIDstations with the 6581 sid chip because they're not in production and they spent the ones that were available to them. I see in the FAQ that you can't just rip a chip from your old C64 and send to them, they only made the chassis and components for the exact amount of SID chips they had at the time.

If you're a mad hacker you could probably make your own synthesizer from a SID chip, the pins have notations that refer directly to oscillators, filters, ADSR, and knob manipulation, and bit flags to turn on ringmodulation or PWM etc.

That is more or less how you program it in assembly code, manipulate the bit flags and manipulate what inside the adress banks in hex code, like note data, adsr levels, filter cutoff. Problem is that you have to write like 100 lines of code just to set it up for use, and another 200 to input all the data for frequencies, adsr levels, filter cutoffs and such if you use all 3 channels. Alot of it is copy/paste code of course, but..you still have to understand it all.

One of the most famous C64 composers, Rob Hubbard, made his own standalone SID synth with knobs some time in the 00's. It's a one-off thing though.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:26 pm

^or buy a SammichSID kit and put it together...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Jeesh, those sammich kit synths were expensive.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm really not expecting any analogue in this box, elektron do digital so well I don't see the point in them doing analogue. I could be wrong though.
Yeah, it certainly feels like a strange idea.. But if its digital, surely it will be multitimbral, and if it's a digital multitimbral, how will it be differentiated from the monomachine, when apparently they dont cover the same ground?

Hmm, now I've just confused myself further. :lol:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 am

cartesia wrote:But if its digital, surely it will be multitimbral, and if it's a digital multitimbral, how will it be differentiated from the monomachine, when apparently they dont cover the same ground?

Hmm, now I've just confused myself further. :lol:
Because it's a CV sequencer and effects unit as well?

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Some pretty analogue-ish sounds coming from the latest teaser. Difficult to judge when you don't know what to judge. What does it all mean?!

Last edited by Arddhu on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm

From a swedish forum (99musik.se):
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 am

A tetra with a proper interface and a kick butt sequencer for external gear, kinda.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:04 am

Sounds pretty cool. I like the sound of the reverb and delay especially. Doesn't look to be something I really need in my setup though.

Wonder what the price will be? People will complain whatever it is no doubt. :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:35 am

Well, that demo was all kinds of intolerable.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 am

tekkentool wrote:Well, that demo was all kinds of intolerable.
[mod hat]Why post if you're not going to add anything constructive? This thread is for people interested in this box, not for you to s**t all over it. This is your last warning to behave like a reasonable and polite human being before you get a week off to think about things.[/mod hat]

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:31 am

Nobody else noticed that demo was very loud and has a weird saturation and distortion over the whole thing?

I never shat on the box at all, I shat on that demo.