New Elektron box--Analog Four

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: New Elektron box--Analog Four

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:31 pm

I think it looks pretty neat so far. Preorder price is usually about the same as the cheapest internet price after release. With the way software(OS) intensive gear is released these days I will always wait a year after release to buy unless user reports indicate minimal bugs and complete features. Main reason is I do not want to have to unlearn a method of completing a task when the button combo/ menu structure changes.

I see the release of this restoring the fun factor in the Elektron name. The octatrack has a reputation from some users as being needlessly complex. Though, what it pulls off is pretty damn complex.

The A4 looks like it will be fun, fun, FUN! Probably will have enough ease of use to overcome all of the "I wish it did"s. Tone is always the big personal question mark.

I am sure when using effects section the elektron flavor will be prominent in the stew. I am very interested in it's sound straight out of the analog section. Waveforms? Continually variable, in what order?
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 pm

griffin avid wrote: In other words, you could do this stuff easily with your current set up, but it's much more fun/cooler/hip/inspiring to do it THIS WAY or THATTAWAY!
great point. interface is everything. it can make or break an instrument. and it can completely reinvent a synth engine that has already previously existed if it can more fluidly allow you to do things you had a hard time doing in the past. it's definitely the param locks that set this apart from anything else out there. and it's probably enough to secure Elektron's position in the synth world even if its analog engine is just 'ok'.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm interested and watching carefully. Love to jump on this but some other stuff has to happen first. Still, the more I see of this I can see a parallel to the Quasimidi Polymorph - not so much in the details [very different] but in the ethos - this could be the Berlin School synth to end them all. If it is, expect to see the used values of Polymorphs sag a little - they were truly a synth that was only really missed once it had gone...

I hear that preorders are through the roof. Well done, Elektron!
Less words more noise

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm

danbroad wrote:this could be the Berlin School synth to end them all.
Definitely seems like it would be good for that kind of thing, hopefully with the possibility of some unique twists. And not that I always want to hear that sound endlessly rehashed I'm surprised not to hear any hints of that in sound examples so far.

Also going to be an ADD tweaker's dream. Nobody let Richard Devine anywhere near it for goodness sake. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am

Sir Nose wrote:I see the release of this restoring the fun factor in the Elektron name. The octatrack has a reputation from some users as being needlessly complex. Though, what it pulls off is pretty damn complex.
The Octatrack isn't needlessly complex IMO, it could be simpler but then it wouldn't be able to do everything it does, which is just about everything. It's necessarily complex because it does complex things; what other sampler on the market lets you save a pattern where it records into the sample buffer at programmed points and then plays that sample backwards pitched down an octave?

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Why don't they play on "A4 paper size" - is its footprint actually bigger?

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Probably for the best that they don't draw any more attention than necessary to that inspired name. I just think of it as that new Elektron analogue synth box with CV outs and stuff.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

true, but have they ever had an inspiring name for any machine? I don't think they need it.
When a little thought has gone into a name like the Mopho it gets slammed as cheesy.
You could win whatever you called it, I think they worked that one out.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm

^ Sounding good, can def see this as a great live tool alongside their other offerings. Also nice FX on that sucker too. :)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm getting pretty excited about this. My Mopho's will play their last gig on Saturday and are on ebay + some other redundant stuff.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Although I do wish they would put the Plus drive in from the start now it's available.

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Sounds great and looks real nice to use, looks like I will be forking out some cash when this is available.

dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Post by dubold » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

i think that sounds pretty good.