New Elektron box--Analog Four

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: New Elektron box--Analog Four

Post by phesago » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 pm

One bug I've run into is sometimes it'll restart on me....

IDK if its because I am switching from chain mode to regular pattenr mode, but it's happened like 10 times now and I have no clue WTF.

Other than that its great

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:26 am

Wanted to post my opinion, but don't have time now to read this very long thread.

I sold a bunch of stuff, and after declaring to the world several times that I'd never buy another Elektron instrument, I started becoming intrigued, and I bought one.

I am thus far very favorably impressed.

The sound is very good. I've never liked the monomachine sound. this really sounds excellent, imo. The modulations are very ample. I'm hoping that they will add to the OS....the sequencer is better than their original machines (machinedrum/monomachine, in that at least you can make each track of a different length. Unfortunately they must all use the same beat subdivision.

The parameter locks as usual are a shortcut to fun, but the sequencer doesn't begin to compare with a good stand alone step sequencer. But I think that the mistake sometimes with groovebox types of instruments is to rely on it by itself. I'm finding that combined with a more flexible step sequencer (schrittmacher being my favorite of all), and other external control (ah - just tried a wacom tablet sending controllers through kyma last night), this thing becomes very fun.

The cv sequencing seems limited. I only got this a few days ago, and may be missing things, but while you have 4 cv tracks, it looks like they all share the same track, which is rather a limitation, though you can send note values from other tracks in place of the cv track.

If Elektron were really into making better experimental tools, they would have allowed cv input modulation.

So, I suppose that my opinion at this point is a qualified rave. The sound quality, fx, modulation, sequencer, all put together with outside help really make it a nice tool.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 pm

spent two days with the analog four .
result : my first solo release
http://frankstarling.bandcamp.com/album ... nic-fetish

this box is very intuitive and inspiring to work with
great integration with my modular
and good interaction with the mpc

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 am

meatballfulton wrote:You can switch sounds using parameter locks to have multiple drum sounds on one track as long as you don't need them to sound on the same beat.

I was considering going for a used cheap monomachine for my next purchase till I saw that tidbit in the sonicstate/elektron vid on YouTube - so sold on buying this next

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 am

The analog four is now polyphonic and it's a new beast altogether.

The filter resonances sound so much better too.

Only had half hour with it so not checked how the +drive is implemented yet.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 pm

I just updated mine, haven't messed too much with it but the polyphonic/multitimbral mode is pretty cool. You can have a 3 voice track and leave the other voice to play the basseline with a different sound...

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Oh h**l yeah! Im stoked to get hone and check this out. In really curious about the midi mapping they mentioned.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 pm

I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago, and boom, here comes the OS update. It's an intriguing machine. Someone on another thread offered me this advice about it:
zoomtheline wrote:Congratulations!

First of all can I give you a little advice?

Basically, even though this is a pure analogue machine try not to compare the sound of the osc's, filters etc to any other vintage synth, you may just get a little underwhelmed by it but this is false disappointment ha. Treat this machine as it's own entity, it's not trying to be anything else. It's inspirational and characterful and a joy, just let it into your heart.

Ha, sorry, I know that sounds obvious and silly but still... Enjoy it man!
I totally get what zoomtheline is saying. The Analog Four isn't like a lot of other analog machines. It's very...subtle. I guess that's the right word. As mentioned, I just updated to the new OS (1.1) and I haven't had a chance to preview many of the 512 presets. I like the convenience of presets, and often use them as a starting point for my own patches.

But I didn't like the old A4 presets very much. Everything was too "glitchy," noisy, super-detuned, had a ridiculously slow attack, or had way too much LFO applied to it. So I immediately started creating my own patches. Which, all in all, is much more satisfying anyway. To me, the character of the presets proves that the A4's target demographic is not the old-school, vintage fan (like me) but perhaps a new breed of player who grew up listening to s**t like Autechre. :lol:

Still, I wonder: can you get the big brass sounds, giant basses, and huge pads that are so easily achievable on other machines? I suppose I need to keep experimenting.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah absolutely, it can do all that no problem. I have two styles for two different projects, one is quite simple and straight laced sound wise and the other is noisy nastyness and can handle both easily. I love autechre too ;)
Even before the poly mode I made some huge pads by copying tracks and faking poly but now it's much simpler with the new OS.
I so nearly bought a Juno yesterday but now I don't think I'll bother.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:01 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I so nearly bought a Juno yesterday but now I don't think I'll bother.
That's a bold statement, bro! :D

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:36 am

Isn't it just ha.
Apples and oranges obviously but I can see myself using the a4 for a lot more stuff now. + my crumar stratus with ehx chorus goes near Juno territory so I think it was just GAS talking.

breitt

Post by breitt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 pm

A little late in the game, I know-but I just received the A4 a few days ago and it is absolutely stunning, awesome, intriguing [insert plethora of positive adjectival cliches here]--the machine I've been waiting for since I first jumped into the game with an Electribe and a Sidstation back in 2004. Those who remember me here know I've been searching for the holy multitimbral all-in-one unit for a long time. Among others, I've owned the Spectralis (twice), the Omega 4 with a Nemo attached, and the ever-elusive Polymorph. After I had to sell off the last of my gear last year to fund medical bills, I was eager to get back in the game. I've had my eye on the A4 for a long time and I'm glad I pulled the trigger finally. The most pleasant surprise for me was the intuitiveness and ease of menu navigation. I've owned the Monomachine and the Machinedrum previously, so I did have a leg up on the interface, but some reviewers said it was daunting. I find it actually quite simple-though I am a Spectralis survivor so anything is a breeze after that labyrinthine monstrosity (love the sound on it though-one of the best).
Speaking of which-I almost sprung for a Polymorph from overseas for an embarrasing amount of money. Glad I waited-though I still I hope to attain one at some point.
Elektron Analog 4

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 am

I just had one show up at my door today as well. Gonna go hook it up and see what it got.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:39 pm

breitt wrote:The most pleasant surprise for me was the intuitiveness and ease of menu navigation. I've owned the onomachine and the Machinedrum previously, so I did have a leg up on the interface, but some reviewers said it was daunting.
Having used other Elektron products was a big advantage for you. The A4 was the first Elektron product I had ever owned, and it was pretty tough sailing at first. Glad you're enjoying it, though. It's a great little machine.

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 am

Aaron2 wrote:
breitt wrote:The most pleasant surprise for me was the intuitiveness and ease of menu navigation. I've owned the onomachine and the Machinedrum previously, so I did have a leg up on the interface, but some reviewers said it was daunting.
Having used other Elektron products was a big advantage for you. The A4 was the first Elektron product I had ever owned, and it was pretty tough sailing at first. Glad you're enjoying it, though. It's a great little machine.
got mine up and running. You got that right this thing is like another language to me. Nothing makes much sense. I haven't cracked a manual in years and I just might have to with this thing. Personally I think the build is a little cheap and cheesy. Main thing is the sound though and if I like the sounds and find ways to use them it's a keeper for me