Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zone47

Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Post by Zone47 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:14 pm

I found this puppy for $750 shipped. It's supposed to be in minty mint condition, so I guess I'll see come next week.
Anyone have time on one of these?

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Post by cornutt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Lots of people here have flown one of the Junos -- 6, 60, or 106. Of the three, the 60 seems to be slightly preferred. Easy-to-understand architecture, well designed panel, easy to get good sounds out of quickly. Somewhat limited by the single-osc architecture. Excellent onboard Roland analog chorus. Excels at pads, organ, and brass sounds in particular, although it can also do some ripping leads and some bizarre effects in the right hands. The 60 does not use the infamous VCF/VCA hybrid IC that fails in the 106, so that isn't a concern. Main thing to check for when you test drive is broken or scratchy sliders.

$750 USD is a decent price for a minty one these days. IIRC all of them came from the factory with Roland's proprietary DCB control bus. Some have been retrofitted with MIDI, and if not, DCB/MIDI converters are still available.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, XP-60, SY99, EMX1. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:22 pm

It's really hard not to love or at least appreciate the 6/60/106. I've had the Alpha Juno 1, 106 and have spent time with a 6. I'm just kind of bummed I didn't get a 60 a few years ago when they were still in the $500 range. They seem to go for around 700-900 these days and I have no idea what happened.
soundcloud.com/vectron

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 am

You did well, mate. It's a lovely synth.

philip

Post by philip » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 am

I have one of these, bought it new five months ago. It's been sleeping in cupboard all these years, in Japan, packed and absolutely untouched.

It's a nice synth

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am

My first keyboard synth was a 106 and later played a 60. They're rather ordinary compared to what 750$ can get you in today's world.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 am

no
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 am

philip wrote:I have one of these, bought it new five months ago. It's been sleeping in cupboard all these years, in Japan, packed and absolutely untouched....
thanks for the 3888x2592 pic :roll: ...I was curious so I did a speed test and my down speed is 27.47 Mbps and that still took forever to load, perhaps consider resizing next time... that was a nice find though.

anyway, the Juno 60... I think it is probably safe to say that nearly everyone on this forum has at one time or another had some variety of Juno. They're a nice sounding synth and one of the more common DCO polys that used to always sell for around $300 and at that price they made for a great intro to analog/subtractive synthesis but otherwise they're somewhat limited. These days they are the current trendy gotta-own-it keyboard that the hipsters are snatching up due to its more "authentic" pre-MIDIness and that's caused a spike in prices.

for me the Juno 60 was the synth that made analog purism seem silly. I don't miss mine but I'm thankful for what it taught me (mainly that analog isn't always better). My drummer housemate still has his, it's the only synth he has ever owned and it serves him well but aside from general ROMplers, I can't think of anything more boring.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 am

"any love?" - I think there's too much love for the early junos! You serious? They are nice simple synths with a nice basic tone but that's it. For the price they cost in the mid 90s they were a no brainer but for the prices they fetch now they are way too basic.

I prefer the Alpha Juno 2 (Or mks-50 for rack nuts) over the early junos. No IR3109, no hardware envs (as in 6/60) but what it does have is a more advanced engine and a very nice tone - juno like, punchy, analog but smooth and with some exciting posibilities (for a single DCO synth). If you compare an alpha juno to a Juno 6 for example you find many short-comings in the 6 - the LFO is locked to the PWM (no independent PWM speed or chorus speed as on the Alpha Junos) there are another few things too that are 'missing' from the early junos, be it portamento on the 6/60 or the more editable/adjustable muli osc DCOs vs the 6/60/106. The only Juno I still like is the alpha juno, part of that is sound and part of it is because it's not over-rated or over-priced. You can control them with a BCR for the hands on feel.

There is nothing wrong with the juno 6/60/106 at all.. they are just too simple for me. Polysix is simple too but has at least a seperate LFO for it's PWM (and beautiful filters)

Zone47

Post by Zone47 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Hmmmm well, thanks for the feedback. It is kind of pricy, but I figure it's the kind of synth I can have some fun with and probably not lose too much money on should I get bored with it. I like vintage gear, thats all! ;)

I remember playing one back in the store in the early 80s and thinking how cool it was. The only problem is it cost about $1,300 in USD which was very expensive in the early 80s money! :shock:

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:no
:lol:

I have a 6 which I bought many years ago when old synths weren't crazy prices. I wouldn't bother with one at today's prices. I find it is OKish with the chorus on, but still pretty limited & not massively exciting. Without the chorus, it's fairly bland & a bit too 'clean' for want of a better description IMO. I still use mine on occasion though, so it can't be that bad ;)

If you like the Juno sound or want a simple analogue poly for learning on then it's decent enough.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Zone47 wrote:Hmmmm well, thanks for the feedback. It is kind of pricy, but I figure it's the kind of synth I can have some fun with and probably not lose too much money on should I get bored with it. I like vintage gear, thats all! ;)
In the current market, you are actually getting a pretty decent price. If you get bored with it, you will definitely be able to flip it and make a bit of money.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Virgule wrote:They're rather ordinary compared to what 750$ can get you in today's world.
Psy_Free wrote:
I wouldn't bother with one at today's prices.
Agreed. While it has a nice sound, is easy to use with a very nice keyboard action and good looks, it's very limited and seriously over priced. For example, even a Novation K Station rack is a far more capable synth that can do the same sounds and a whole lot more. It does take a bit more effort than it does on a Juno to get those lovely chorussy pads, but it can definitely do them. $750 would get you a Nord Lead or one of the Virus synths. Even better.

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 am

6, 60's, and 106's seem incredibly overpriced these days. I bought my Juno 6 for $15 a few years ago. They're fun but I wouldn't drop anywhere near $750 for a 60.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:45 am

my thoughts exactly, lol... :lol: owned a Juno 60 about a dozen years ago, one of my first synths actually, but even then I just always found it to be too limiting.