Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Re: Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Post by _seph » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:18 pm

cornutt wrote:
Zone47 wrote:Hmmmm well, thanks for the feedback. It is kind of pricy, but I figure it's the kind of synth I can have some fun with and probably not lose too much money on should I get bored with it. I like vintage gear, thats all! ;)
In the current market, you are actually getting a pretty decent price. If you get bored with it, you will definitely be able to flip it and make a bit of money.
that is, if the flip happens before this current bubble eventually bursts.

as there is nothing unique about the 60 and not long ago it was just the less desirable alternative to the 106, I wouldn't bet on it holding these inflated prices once the next trendy thing comes along

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Less desireble than the 106???

The Juno-60 is a great synth for its simplicity. Fantastic(!) filter which you could modulate fram an externa source, superb chorus etc. I had three, and the only reason I dont have any at the moment is that it wont fit beside the JP-8.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 pm

JJQ wrote:Less desireble than the 106???

The Juno-60 is a great synth for its simplicity. Fantastic(!) filter which you could modulate fram an externa source, superb chorus etc. I had three, and the only reason I dont have any at the moment is that it wont fit beside the JP-8.
Agreed. The Juno's are very trendy right now and that always invites flak from the connoisseurs, and yes they are currently overpriced (IMO - of course) but to me they are nonetheless excellent examples of engineering and industrial design.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Psy_Free wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:no
:lol:

I have a 6 which I bought many years ago when old synths weren't crazy prices.
My VGC Juno 6 - picked up circa mid 90s, cost me just £60 (via a trade of £60's worth of cheap guitar). Sold it for £100 and thought I'd done well.... :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 am

I will make the statement I always make which causes people who grew up more recently to say "Oh, Grandpa, you're crazy!!"

In 2000 or so, when I became re-obsessed with analog synthesizers, the general consensus was that the Junos, etc. weren't "real analog," due to the DCOs. As such, they were really cheap compared to most other synths.
I was approached by a friend of a friend at a gig in Minneapolis in about 2001 or 2002, who knew that I was into analog synths. He said, "Yeah, I love the vintage stuff, but I can't afford real analog. I bought a Juno 6, and it's pretty good for a cheap synth."
That's how things were. At a certain point, all of the VCO polysynths were getting more and more rare, which caused a run on the Junos... eventually they started gaining descriptive attributes like "that warm Juno sound." It's really strange.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 am

I owned a 106 for a couple years. It was a fun synth, very pure, and had the most awesome chorus on any synth, ever since.
Actually, I was looking at my mixer and saw the lights on the Juno-106's channel bouncing slightly up and down while the synth was turned on but not played. Kept wondering what that was, so I cranked up the volume to max. Then I heard it was noise from the chorus that was bobbing up and down rythmically. :D

Friend of mine was in a band who had a broken-down Juno-6 they'd come to rely on, and I sold them my 106 since it was kind of being neglected. I'm sure it lives a good life with them.

It's near impossible to make a bad sound on that synth. Everything just sounds nice. A low note with the chorus and suboscillator engaged will easily blow your windows out.

_seph

Post by _seph » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I will make the statement I always make which causes people who grew up more recently to say "Oh, Grandpa, you're crazy!!"

In 2000 or so, when I became re-obsessed with analog synthesizers, the general consensus was that the Junos, etc. weren't "real analog," due to the DCOs. As such, they were really cheap compared to most other synths.
I was approached by a friend of a friend at a gig in Minneapolis in about 2001 or 2002, who knew that I was into analog synths. He said, "Yeah, I love the vintage stuff, but I can't afford real analog. I bought a Juno 6, and it's pretty good for a cheap synth."
That's how things were. At a certain point, all of the VCO polysynths were getting more and more rare, which caused a run on the Junos... eventually they started gaining descriptive attributes like "that warm Juno sound." It's really strange.
I completely agree with this.

my little story (that I've told here before) is shortly after graduating high school, I bought my first proper synth, a brand new Roland JP-8000, soon followed it by a guitar towards a store's floor demo Korg Prophecy. A bit more than a year later an older local musician was getting rid of old unused gear and I picked up an Arp Odyssey mkIII, Oberheim Two Voice, Korg VC-10 (all together for around $900). The immediacy and purity of these lead to me trading off my two VAs and quickly acquiring a MS-10, Taurus II, Emulator II with a pair of Oberheim DPX1s and a Drumulator and I still had a little change left over. All in all things were great and a lot of fun. I had a nice studio started and was beginning to build it up and then at some point I bought a Juno 60.

this is where my analog/vintage myopathy began to waver. there just wasn't much of anything to the Juno, which then led to the addition of a Jupiter 6 to compensate and between the two, I was constantly reminded of my old JP-8000 except that they just weren't as capable. The Juno 60 especially, it lacks any of the character of any of the other analogs and that along with its limited capacity just became a glaring example of how Virtual Analog really isn't a bad thing and actually has a lot of merit.

anyway, these days nearly all of that gear is gone and not missed and I am a very happy owner of a JP-8080. I've had the opportunity to own and play a lot of synths over the years and I really find almost nothing more boring than a simple DCO polysynth like the Juno, they really devalue the word "analog" and for 80's synths, I'd much rather use $750 to buy an ESQ-1, DSS-1 and a D-50

_seph

Post by _seph » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I will make the statement I always make which causes people who grew up more recently to say "Oh, Grandpa, you're crazy!!"

I completely agree with this.

my little story (that I've told here before) is shortly after graduating high school, I bought my first proper synth, a brand new Roland JP-8000, soon followed by a Korg Prophecy (which at the time ended up being over my head and probably played a role in the next part). A bit more than a year later an older local musician was getting rid of old unused gear and I picked up an Arp Odyssey mkIII, Oberheim Two Voice, Korg VC-10 (all together for around $900). The immediacy and purity of these lead to me trading off my two VAs and quickly acquiring a MS-10, Taurus II, Emulator II with a pair of Oberheim DPX1s and a Drumulator and I still had a little change left over. All in all things were great and a lot of fun. I had a nice studio started and was beginning to build it up and then at some point I bought a Juno 60.

this is where my analog/vintage myopathy began to waver. there just wasn't much of anything to the Juno, which then led to the addition of a Jupiter 6 to compensate and between the two, I was constantly reminded of my old JP-8000 except that they just weren't as capable. The Juno 60 especially, it lacks any of the character of any of the other analogs and that along with its limited capacity just became a glaring example of how Virtual Analog really isn't a bad thing and actually has a lot of merit.

anyway, these days nearly all of that gear is gone and not missed and I am a very happy owner of a JP-8080. I've had the opportunity to own and play a lot of synths over the years and I really find almost nothing more boring than a simple DCO polysynth like the Juno, they really devalue the word "analog" and for 80's synths, I'd much rather use $750 to buy an ESQ-1, DSS-1 and a D-50

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, CS-50, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, 770, Opus 3, Odyssey mk3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Bitexion wrote:
It's near impossible to make a bad sound on that synth. Everything just sounds nice. A low note with the chorus and suboscillator engaged will easily blow your windows out.
This is very true IMO.

I have a Juno 6 and just love the sound of it! the juno 6/60 really does have a generally pleasing sound no matter what patch you draw up.

Great features include the incredible chorus, very good arpeggiator and cool 6 osc unison mode. Worth mentioning the keyboard is very nice to play too :)
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Never found the unison mode pleasant to listen to, since all the DCO's are in perfect pitch it just gets louder.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:46 pm

The Juno 60 PWM is nice sounding so that's a praiseworthy feature. I got mine years ago for a low price so I have no post-purchase regret.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Another bit of love for the Juno 60 is that for people that want to have a keyboard that is exactly the same as what was used on countless hits from the 80's then the Juno 60 is just that and also attainable although somewhat pricey these days.

westbethkid
Gear: Juno60 SC Six-Trak, Korg Polysix N364 DW-8000 OB Matrix 6 Roland MC-303 SP-202 SP-808 RS09 Yamaha Q-Chord Etherwave Theremin

Post by westbethkid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I like mine because I got it for $250. The guy was a motivated seller, and It had stickers all over it that his 9 year old cousin had put on (unicorns, etc).
It sounds like an expensive unicorn. Love it.
buy low stay high

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 pm

The 60 is not bad, but like the 106 it is very limited, and that is the main reason it is hard not to make a bad sound. DCO polysynths can be a bit stale at times when compared to VCO ones but are stable and that can be a bonus to some.

I prefer the Alpha Juno range as my tilt to DCO Roland stuff, a slightly deeper engine but still does what I want well. It has to be said however I am not a fan of lots of polysynths and only really use them for string stuff, hence why I no longer have lots.
You always want just one more Synth!

philip

Post by philip » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 am

Juno limitation for me is advantage. Work fast, making sounds fast, all sounds flawless. and don/t forget how many immortal hit-songs been made with Junies. Junies are the best choice for those who making songs professionaly but not just noodling with synth noises to kill the time.