Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Re: Any love for the Roland Juno 60?

Post by mpa1104 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 am

I've never not liked the old Junos. First synth was a Juno 6, bought a 60 many years later, the two looked lovely together on the 4-tier stand. Eventually sold the 6 only because of lack of space, felt a little sorry in doing so. Later bought an a-Juno 2 which I also enjoyed with it's additional features (no, not just the hoover ... never liked them anyway ;) ). Until recently was gigging with the 60 and the a-2.
Years ago, I did this track below using only the Juno 60 (and indeed posted it on an older incarnation of this forum following a bit of Juno bashing). It was not intended to shut up the naysayers because some synths just aren't for some people and everyone's entitled to their opinions (it's just the way they're expressed that I can find objectionable!). This piece was simply to say "well, these are the sorts of things of which I have found the otherwise humble Juno capable of doing." Still quite pleased with it even though it's bit rough around the edges in places.

... FWIW
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 am

i would buy one if the opportunity presented itself at a good price, probably just to see what all the hype is about as much as anything. like the sound or no, they are still very historically interesting you have to admit. personally i like that DCO sound, VCO has it charms too dont get me wrong there, its nice to have both available. to me DCO sounds kind of alien or other-worldly, like it sounds a bit 'too perfect' for human music. i like this little juno clip on youtube very much :) sometimes i get really drunk and put it on, then lean back in my chair while my eyes roll into the back of my skull! :happy3:

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 am

Great sound but the lack of MIDI is a deal breaker. I would go with a Juno 106.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm

And even though the 106's MIDI is quite basic, you can still store sounds and banks on your PC and transfer them in and out as you need, without the need for tape interface. There are several "librarians" for it too.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

I have a juno 6 and yes it's nice with loads of sweet spots and simple but the magic for me is when i sync the appeggio to my TR808..Makes a wonderful pairing.
Better to have a synth that sounds great than ones with loads of features that do not.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

factorplayer
Gear: Korg MS2000
Roland SH-32
Roland Juno-60
Taurus 3!

Post by factorplayer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 am

The 60 is a favorite vintage synth of mine. Even though it's long since been eclipsed by later synths at the price point I still very much enjoy its character and sound. I was lucky to get one just last year at a good price and played it for all the synth sounds on a friend's debut album with great results. It was the sound we needed.