Thoughts that guided you to purchases?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DesolationBlvd

Thoughts that guided you to purchases?

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I think it would be interesting to share our thoughts that guided (or misguided) you to synth purchases and the like.

- Analog is boring and FM is the future! (circa 2011, lusting after DX7/SY77, Sega Genesis music rattling in my head, sick of dull VSTs)
- JX-3P has only one envelope? How limiting, backwards, and broken! I'd rather get Poly-800! Wait, Poly-800 has only one filter? How am I supposed to play? (Christmas 2011, seeing what's available)
- Digital is a dead end fart, they must all sound as dead as my D-5! (Feb/Mar 2012, after getting Alpha Juno)
- Prophet-5 and OB-Xa must sound the same, they have the same chips! (May 2012, getting my first big synth)
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Re: Thoughts that guided you to purchases?

Post by _seph » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 pm

DesolationBlvd wrote:- Analog is boring and FM is the future! (circa 2011....
because you just arrived in 2011 after stepping into a phone booth which happened to be a time machine in the mid-80's ... Excellent.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 pm

"oh that looks cool....."

Receive it, use for it for a bit

"well that wasn't as cool as I thought."

Post on VSE for sale thread lol

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Usually it just breaks down to wanting to try something out.

I have a very limited budget to work with though, so I often find myself letting go of something even if I like it. I always want to try new things.
Last edited by Alex E on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/vectron

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I bought a korg delta cuz i though it did the chord sound in the human league's song seconds but turns out thats a jupiter 4. kept it anyway.

bought a korg mono/poly cuz my dad had one back in the day and said they were good. a year later i managed to buy back his original mono/poly so now i have 2.

bought an roland sh-5 cuz its features looked good on paper an i was after a multimode filter.. sold if after buying an ms-20 and minimoog which were more to my taste and i couldnt afford to keep them all

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 am

These days it's

"Oh my god, I've been looking for one, it's local and it's cheap."

or

"It's local and it's cheap. I'll give it a go and if I don't like it I'll just flip it."

The only things I have mailed in now are small things like modular stuff and rack gear. Have enough keyboards and big stuff. A few years ago I was nuts constantly bringing in and shipping out keyboards and lots of things as I tried out boatloads of stuff. But Ebay and Paypal rules for buyers and sellers were a lot different back then too.
Last edited by plikestechno on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 am

plikestechno wrote:"It's local and it's cheap. I'll give it a go and if I don't like it I'll just flip it."
My sentiment is the same, minus the local bit. I live in a synthesizer wasteland. I probably have the best synthesizer collection in town. I could probably go for the weekend (in opposite directions) to the Moog factory or Three Wave Music, though.

I bought the MKS-30 with intent to flip (as I abandoned my foolish dream of getting all the MKS boxes), but fell in love with the filter.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002/Prophet-5 rev. 4
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV
Elektron Analog RYTM

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 am

Usually...

Is it a vintage Roland/Boss gizmo I don't already have? [Y] - Buy, [N] - Don't buy.

haha nah, but recently I've been sick of maintenance and tuning issues with analog so I've gone on a bit of a 90's VA buying spree. Maybe someday I might even be able to afford something new for once.

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 am

my first few purchases were all like "wow look at all these features, it must be awesome"
which quickly became "wtf how do i use this dam thing"
then "well i guess im only losing $X selling it"
:facepalm:
but i did learn from the experience that simple = good for a person like me. so all my latest stuff i have been really happy with. live and learn i guess

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am

"How much more studying loan can I get this year?"

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

intrancewetrust wrote:...but i did learn from the experience that simple = good for a person like me...
Same here, I learned that the first time I tried to read a Roland manual to work out how to do something. So from now on if I need a manual to use it, it is not for me. haha :lol:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm

My guiding principles:

-- good MIDI implementation, preferably using standard CC assignments

-- if it's polyphonic it must also be multitimbral

-- every feature must be accessible from the front panel, no matter how ugly to get to it...a computer editor should be optional, not required

-- if it supports samples or digital I/O it must be 44.1K, not 48 (sorry, Korg)

-- any software must be dual platform (Win/Mac)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Primal greed hiding itself under semi-adequate rationales:
  • Blo desktop: "I want an all-in-one! and with mod-matrix! and small! and cheap..."
  • JD800: "I want all the possible sliders!"
  • E-MU CS: "I want 128 rompler voices and an endless modulation web!"
It went a bit different with the vintage soviet stuff, like "oh, so now it's writeoff property; if I don't take the poor thingie home, it'll end up in a landfill, with noone even to extract the gold from its ICs' "

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

These days I mainly buy stuff for the modular, and certain selected soft synths. As far as other hardware, I'm mainly on the lookout for digital gear that uses unconventional methods, and mainly rackmount since I'm about out of room for more keyboards. (Although if a Neuron fell into my lap, I'd find room for it. :mrgreen: ) I might still pick up an Andromeda someday, but probably only if/when I decide to retire the Juno-106.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!