Heart/Brain of your setup?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Heart/Brain of your setup?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:17 am

I've been a workstation guy since before Korg coined the term for the M1. To me, a workstation is any multitimbral synth with a song-based multitrack sequencer.

My first synth ever was a Casio CZ-5000 25 years ago then an Ensoniq SQ-80 to a Yamaha Motif ES to my current Motif XF. Other outboard instruments and FX have varied over the years, but always a workstation at the center.

My first music computer was an Atari ST running Master Tracks Pro (MIDI sequencer) but that finally died around 2003 and I went computerless until 2010 when I got a MacBook (now using an iMac) but the computer is not the heart and soul, the workstation is.

To the OP, you already own an ESQ-1...it's a great master for a MIDI setup with or without a computer.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 am

This..

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 am

So mine is twofold. I have ableton as the masterclock but then I have midi sent to my tempest which has become what I use to create drums and a couple hooks for my tracks. I like the scale quantized pads and the ability to get a song 80% finished with one instrument. I then add some sequenced modular bits and some leads with a mopho, many times with an arpeggiator. Depending on the type of music, i may toss in the xoxbox or a juno for bass that's sequenced by an ea-1 or ableton directly. I really like ableton for it's ability to easily record loops that can be turned on and off via my launchpad and how easy it is to use. People say it doesn't sound amazing, but people used to record in some pretty rudimentary ways, so I'd say it doesn't really matter all that much. Just focus on making great tracks. Ableton can be twisted to work in any way you need at this point, so just do some research, watch a few demos and go to town.
soundcloud.com/lvoe

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 am

Triton76

Post by Triton76 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 am

I only have 3 synths now. TritonExtreme is the main . I send midi to Vermona lancet mono analog and a tx81z fm. I like to put both of those synths into the sampler inputs on the triton.
I like that QY above. in 96 or so I had a Qy300 and jv80 combo
Triton Extreme (MOSS), CP33, Vermona Lancet Mono, Yamaha TX81z,

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:57 am

Nannerfan wrote:Image
I've been very tempted by this, but haven't been able to find many demos. I'm always searching for a budget cirklon, I think I just need to pony up...
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:12 am

somebedroomdj wrote:To the OP, you already own an ESQ-1...it's a great master for a MIDI setup with or without a computer.
Hey, great. I just acquired it, and haven't tapped the sequencer yet, mainly because I still need to replace the internal battery (I already have it, just need to install it). I could imagine writing whole songs on this beast and adding some percussion.

How do you feel about an EPS 16+ as a centerpiece workstation? Someone's getting rid of one for about 150...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:15 pm

it depends.
some tracks originate from mostly or 100% live tracking of majority parts, so drum machine or modular(the modcan touch sequencer or flame clockwork module) often serves as the master clock.
currently, and almost by default, the 999 start button runs everything as master - if only because it is drifty when slaved for sync. it's internal clock is solid, but incoming MIDI is low-priority.

some sections are simply discrete pre-edited loops i create, that are then import into and manipulated in octatrack, microsampler or modcan cv recorder

further still, i'll go without any master/slaving and just sync by hand when overdubbing, sometimes. suppose you want to punch-in a whole different beat into a section as overdub; the Electribe 'X' models tempo is to the tenth of a tick, plus it's fairly un-drifty. far fewer nudges are necessary is the result - both hands are free! this is excellent for tempo-surfing on the fly sans MIDI/DIN/USB/CV.
it also really helps to have experience with DJ beat-matching when using this approach.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Machninedrum+Monomachine...pretty damn functional.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:00 pm

fl studio, but slowly transitioning in to live.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't have any hardware at the moment except for my laptop and a small midi keyboard. I'm going to correct that situation at some point!

So for me, it's all about renoise right now.
Stephen(2)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 pm

A good workstation is a good "heart" as they usually give you very fine control over MIDI, and can sequence and do easy program changes for other keyboards while you're playing it.

Jordan Rudess used to control his entire live setup consisting of a dozen modules and keyboards (including backups if one should fail suddenly) from his Kurzweil2600, he'd switch patches on different synths so often during a full song with Dream Theater, he had to set up something clever to do it with.
It's also good to be able to assign MIDI channels to zones on the keyboard for live use. Only workstations let you go that detailed..or a computer setup.

Now he's using Korg Oasys as the main MIDI brain I think.

_dan

Post by _dan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:25 pm

The midi brain has been the Motif XF pattern sequencer lately (chain mode)
The heart has been the Micron and Motif sound some time, but I'm most likely moving to the TI2 Polar this Christmas
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Post by joeboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Since the DR-110 can't be synced to anything, I usually use its accent trigger to set the time for everything else. I run the trigger into a modded monotribe, whose MIDI out goes into a Yamaha QX-21 which sends notes to everything else via MIDI as it should. It's convoluted and not ideal, but very cheap.

Blopho
Gear: littlephatty, machinedrum, minibrute, blofelddesk. fxrrackmount

Post by Blopho » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:23 am

The "brain" of my setup was my laptop (RIP 2010-2013) I will eventually replace it.
The heart of my music, though, is the inspiration I get from my wife of 22 years and she can never be replaced ;)