Are there any "extinct" synthesizers?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Are there any "extinct" synthesizers?

Post by Tiger Jackson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 am

Synths that you WILL not EVER find anymore, like they are all dated from the earlist synth era and have all died out for not being built to last? Am i being unrealistic?

I expect some of ensoniqs synths to go all gone in probably like 50 years.. i'm not good at time estimating though.. we all know how much reliability problems some of them have had

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Are there any "extinct" synthesizers?

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 am

why do you expect any Ensoniq synths to 'go extinct' more so than any other 'extinct' synth manufacturer?

deeplow
Gear: bad luck brain

Post by deeplow » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 am

hammond novachord?
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am

deeplow wrote:hammond novachord?
Not quite, actually.
soundcloud.com/vectron

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

If a model 2800 White Arp Odyssey can be agreed as one first synth, that synth is now 40 years old still here in number and lots working, other than a large chunk of space debris hitting the earth im sure they will be here in 50 years time be they are in a museum or in a old apartment in Ft Worth TX or in a lock up somewhere in Londons east end along with 4 Ensoniq mirage samplers.
yamoto773

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Maybe something that never made it from prototype to production like the Vermona Mephisto

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 pm

The original 1 keybed version of the prophet 10. This was the original synth that predated the prophet 5. According to Dave at Wine Country, there is only about three that are known to exist at this current time. He said that most of the were either returned or hacked for parts due to religious unreliability.

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Mcleyvier

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

You probably need to differentiate between prototypes and stuff that actually entered production. There are all sorts of prototypes that you likely couldn't get to work anymore.

If I read the Laurie Spiegal article that appeared in The Wire correctly she has a Mcleyvier, and it's working, or partily working. There's also someone out there with a partially working Con Brio system.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Maybe something that never made it from prototype to production like the Vermona Mephisto

Looks interesting... where can I buy one of these?
Do you even post on vse bro?

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 pm

tim gueguen wrote:If I read the Laurie Spiegal article that appeared in The Wire correctly she has a Mcleyvier, and it's working, or partily working.
Loving this McLeyvier piece by Laurie Spiegel. Worth digging a Real Audio player out for. (VLC works fine.)

http://retiary.org/ls/music/realaudio/o ... _a_myth.rm

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

*cough* .. I could see all these 30 gold-edition Moogs being stolen (by the same kind of cons who steal copper from railways) and melted into bars. The rest is then probably thrown away.

Or is this too evil to think about? :lol:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 pm

well, there is Con Brio... which might as well be extinct. Only two ADS200 and one ADS200R are known to exist and I believe they are all now owned by the same person and who knows if they still work.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 pm

The Con Brio is also known as the most faulty synth ever created.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Well, there were a lot of one-offs like the RCA Synthesizer and the Allis Machine. There is an RCA Synthesizer remaining, but my understanding is that it's in pretty bad shape. The Allis Machine is in storage in Oberlin College where it has not functioned since 1981, and who knows what shape it's in now.

And, as pointed out with the Mephisto, there's things that never made it past the protoype stage. The original E-mu Audity and the Moog SL-8 are two that come to mind. They are in museums but in non-working condition. Is there a Moog Apollo remaining anywhere? It is my understanding that Keith Emerson has a working Lyra. I wonder what happened to the ARP Centuar; I suspect it was scrapped in the bankruptcy proceedings.

My guess is that of the synths that were actually produced in more than onesey-twosey quantities, the ones to disappear first will be ones that had both poor reliability and lots of custom ICs. The Polymoog is on the short list, and things like the Prophet-2000 may not be far behind. Digital synths in general are going to be more vulnerable to this, because most analog stuff can be re-created in discrete circuitry if need be, although there does come a point where it becomes impractical. (Imagine trying to re-create all of the guts of, say, a Rhodes Chroma in discrete circuitry.) I know that some Alesis stuff had a lot of custom ICs. I don't know what's in the guts of a Hartmann Neuron, but I know that not that many were sold, so that may be a suspect too. E-mu had a lot of custom IC's too, but most of their stuff was produced in large quantities, so most of their stuff should be around for a while.

One thing that is going to become a problem eventually is synths that use the type of microprocessors where the code ROM is embedded in the processor, and not readable externally. In those cases, re-creating parts is hostage to whether the source code is available. A lot of Roland and Yamaha stuff could be hit by this.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!