To 2013 and Beyond!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

To 2013 and Beyond!

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Ok so, this is just meant to be a fun thread but what kind of things would *you* like to see in 2013, (lets forget re-issues and known future products here)

We have a NAMM coming up, 2013 could either be just another year, or bring us something truly memorable. I guess what I'm asking is, If you could dream up a gizmo from any of the current companies what would it be? :)

For me a hardware Native Instruments synth and a 21c Moog poly (yes I know) but those would be pretty darn cool.

What say you? 8-)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: To 2013 and Beyond!

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Always wanted a massive sequencer like a Mobius but 4 times the length and 4 high as in 4 layers. Every note editable in pitch, individual swing and the usual stuff. also with a few poly options per track like the Machinedrum midi options. CV for controlling my SH09 etc and midi for others.

Oh wait, well nearly I guess.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

A modern FM synth from Yamaha based on the SY77 but with a V-Synth style interface (touch screen & knobs), up-to-date effects, modelled analogue multi-mode filters, more algorithms, maybe a sampling option etc.

Basically a 21st century SY77 :)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm

zoomtheline wrote:Always wanted a massive sequencer like a Mobius but 4 times the length and 4 high as in 4 layers. Every note editable in pitch, individual swing and the usual stuff. also with a few poly options per track like the Machinedrum midi options. CV for controlling my SH09 etc and midi for others.

Oh wait, well nearly I guess.
This. Like a polyphonic FR Orb with more detail controls. Swing per step. Transpose per step. I personally would like to see 64 steps. Seems cool, I'd buy it lol

Also, a poly phonic synth that had multiple voice control via cv or midi. Like the Xpander, kind of.

On boards EQ on a synth with the ability to route an lfo to modulate it with.

Moogerfooger reverb.

A new sampler that focuses more on modulations. Similar to a asr10 but updated. Knob per function sounds perfect

Anyway, just some initial thoughts

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:17 pm

something from future retro. i don't have an XS anymore but the XSorries jered talked about haven't happened... maybe a 141414 so i'll be even less interested in the new elektron or a drum machine that'll make me less tempted by a used tempest...

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 pm

space6oy wrote:something from future retro. i don't have an XS anymore but the XSorries jered talked about haven't happened... maybe a 141414 so i'll be even less interested in the new elektron or a drum machine that'll make me less tempted by a used tempest...
Agreed. Somethign from FR would be sick. A FR style analog drum machine might make retire the 808.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:59 pm

phesago wrote: A FR style analog drum machine might make retire the 808.
A couple of years ago, he was selling off a bunch of drum synths (I bought a TechStar from him), so I figured he was buying up drum synths to check on their inner workings for a FR analog drum box. Would be great to see such a product.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm hoping Roland will release an updated Juno-60.
Do you even post on vse bro?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Z wrote:
phesago wrote: A FR style analog drum machine might make retire the 808.
A couple of years ago, he was selling off a bunch of drum synths (I bought a TechStar from him), so I figured he was buying up drum synths to check on their inner workings for a FR analog drum box. Would be great to see such a product.
That's good info :D

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

My hopes are real alternatives to the Korg Kronos from Yamaha and Roland. Also, a Kaoss Pad 4 :)

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Something that isn't a rehash of what is already out there.
You always want just one more Synth!

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 pm

news on the status of Roger Linn's LinnStrument would be nice...

as would any news from AAS regarding Tassman 5...

as for synths, what I would really like to see is for DSI to explore Dave's (and the rest of the ex-Sequential crew's) Korg legacy: wave sequencing and physical modeling.

it has been more than 15 years since the release of the, VL1, Prophecy and OASYS PCI and neither Yamaha or Korg has put forth a second generation synth (an updated polyphonic VL1 would be great)

so now that DSI has done a good job of exploring the analog side of the Evolver.. how about they swing over to the digital side. I am still disappointed that the Tempest doesn't allow user samples and were they to have allowed wave sequencing, something like a sampling Wavestation (or an ASR-10 I suppose) it would have been perfect, but perhaps the Tempest needs to be as the Tempest is and this is a better place for a new poly synth.

so.. current dream synth is basically a PolyEvolver Keyboard that is more a Prophet VS than Prophet 5, essentially a next generation Wavestation that allows user wavetables/samples with next gen vector control. if it could somehow work in physical modeling, perhaps in the form of convolution (of samples and spaces) that would be great.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 am

Psy_Free wrote:A modern FM synth from Yamaha based on the SY77 but with a V-Synth style interface (touch screen & knobs), up-to-date effects, modelled analogue multi-mode filters, more algorithms, maybe a sampling option etc.
So basically FM8 in a box with samples?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 am

I think I'm going to break the mold and instead of dreaming about a product, I'm going to dream about a price tag because I just realized I don't want to spend more than $500 USD anymore. I don't.

When I get near the $1,000 dollar mark, it needs to become a back-bone, all-or-nothing-main-sonic character-giving-badass-sunummabytch-type addition to my set up. And no one is making that.

Oh, you might find one more source of synth sounds or maybe a sequencer, but to find something that I can use without the need for anything to chime in or help....

Not since the big ROMplers ruled.

Who's got a polyphonic beast capable of doing whole records?
Once you talk about DAWS and multiple-passes, really a monophonic synth with some routing/modulation is an obvious alternative. So it's back to baby drum machines and grooveboxes.

Really, I'd like the same products I've wanted for the last 4 years.
So here's my list again......

From Native Instruments, a hardware ROMpler version of Maschine that's like a controller version of Kontakt.
From AKAI: oh wait they did it already. The Maschine-MPC thing.....

The two above would probably be expensive...

From KORG; an electribe legacy- full-scale plastic controller to mimic the software for a better ielectribe.
From Roland {Rack units and..} an SP-556 that is a keyboard/drum machine with a better workflow

Figure out what you gotta do to make them around $500...

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

My overall fantasy is a brand new sound that I haven't heard before that's musical.
For $500 dollars you get a black box that has a bunch of audio inputs in the back and a few in the front.
The top is all weird controllers; knobs, dials and a touch screen. Inside is all DSP effects. All made for mangling/damaging whatever you pass through it.
It's a standalone filter-type-thingy but so much more. USB for software interfacing, but every function is available from the top of the unit.

If it does a lot more, it can cost more.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 am

definitely more under-$500 modular units like foogers, eurorack modules, and more controllers for analog synthesis!! keyboards, joysticks, infrared sensors, etc. like the Koma Kommander and the Planar.