Cyclone TT-303

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Arddhu
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Cyclone TT-303

Post by Arddhu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-huMHroZtDLM/U ... .1_ENG.jpg

Image

Thoughts?

Seems odd to go to so much effort to recreate the look but whack a 24db filter in there.

User avatar
JJQ
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Malmo, east-side

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by JJQ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:50 pm

And no din-sync...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh ok, does it come with a time machine to allow one to go back to when acid was new? (jk) :D

User avatar
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Groundhog Day?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Technology Transplant's back! Cant wait for the Roland smack down

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

TT's in China, they'll adapt ;)

OMG, each one has different presets so you can use presets but still sound original :dancer:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Arddhu wrote:Seems odd to go to so much effort to recreate the look but whack a 24db filter in there.
yeah, really not sure what that's about.. I listened to one of the vids through my iTouch speakers, and even there I could hear a distinct difference :|

Why not just re-do the xoxbox hardware into that form factor?
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: Why not just re-do the xoxbox hardware into that form factor?
Already been done, hopefully the case will be available at some point so that can get fleshed out more

Kind of curious about the sequencer. Reminds me of the simplified one on rebirth

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

ComputerControlled wrote:These new TT303s that everyone is geeking about... they're nothing but Technology Transplant x0xb0xes in a new wrapper. His x0xb0xes are total s**t. s**t quality. I spent hours online with a friend trying to debug a PCB error on one i was building for a friend, only to have it die on him a few months later. Avoid!!!

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by tekkentool » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 am

Why would anybody buy one of these over a x0xb0x when the filter is even f**k wrong.

Do people actually at all care about the form over the functionality when it comes to a synth that came as ugly as the 303 anyway?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm
Real name: Douglas
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by phesago » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 am

tekkentool wrote:Why would anybody buy one of these over a x0xb0x when the filter is even f**k wrong.

Do people actually at all care about the form over the functionality when it comes to a synth that came as ugly as the 303 anyway?
The voice of reason... =D>

User avatar
krushing
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 am
Real name: Petteri
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by krushing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

space6oy wrote:
ComputerControlled wrote:These new TT303s that everyone is geeking about... they're nothing but Technology Transplant x0xb0xes in a new wrapper. His x0xb0xes are total s**t. s**t quality. I spent hours online with a friend trying to debug a PCB error on one i was building for a friend, only to have it die on him a few months later. Avoid!!!
Hmm, someone over at gearslutz just said the opposite - that these are not x0xb0xes, nor built by TT but "designed by a 3rd party in the US". Dunno then. Anyway, happy with my Acidlab Bassline and I certainly don't understand copying the looks like that (or of course I understand *why*, just don't see the point when you could do it better).

Synthacon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:57 pm
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths
Location: Synth Heaven - UK

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Synthacon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Just a point on the filter and 24db.... To quote my synth tech, who has designed a few synths and repaired many....

The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.

Just thought it may interest you.
You always want just one more Synth!

Arddhu
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Arddhu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Synthacon wrote: The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.
Thanks for that.

I thought I remembered reading something along those lines a while back. Makes a bit more sense now.

User avatar
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Synthacon wrote:Just a point on the filter and 24db.... To quote my synth tech, who has designed a few synths and repaired many....

The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.

Just thought it may interest you.
Also adding how the power supply affects the 303's sound. The 303 has an inductor based DC/DC converter that affects the behaviour on accents and high resonance settings, this makes it smoother, more liquid sounding, compressed and more dynamic on the 303.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Post Reply