Cyclone TT-303

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Arddhu

Cyclone TT-303

Post by Arddhu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-huMHroZtDLM/U ... .1_ENG.jpg

Thoughts?

Seems odd to go to so much effort to recreate the look but whack a 24db filter in there.

JJQ

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by JJQ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:50 pm

And no din-sync...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh ok, does it come with a time machine to allow one to go back to when acid was new? (jk) :D

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Groundhog Day?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Technology Transplant's back! Cant wait for the Roland smack down

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

TT's in China, they'll adapt ;)

OMG, each one has different presets so you can use presets but still sound original :dancer:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Arddhu wrote:Seems odd to go to so much effort to recreate the look but whack a 24db filter in there.
yeah, really not sure what that's about.. I listened to one of the vids through my iTouch speakers, and even there I could hear a distinct difference :|

Why not just re-do the xoxbox hardware into that form factor?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: Why not just re-do the xoxbox hardware into that form factor?
Already been done, hopefully the case will be available at some point so that can get fleshed out more

Kind of curious about the sequencer. Reminds me of the simplified one on rebirth

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

ComputerControlled wrote:These new TT303s that everyone is geeking about... they're nothing but Technology Transplant x0xb0xes in a new wrapper. His x0xb0xes are total s**t. s**t quality. I spent hours online with a friend trying to debug a PCB error on one i was building for a friend, only to have it die on him a few months later. Avoid!!!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 am

Why would anybody buy one of these over a x0xb0x when the filter is even f**k wrong.

Do people actually at all care about the form over the functionality when it comes to a synth that came as ugly as the 303 anyway?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 am

tekkentool wrote:Why would anybody buy one of these over a x0xb0x when the filter is even f**k wrong.

Do people actually at all care about the form over the functionality when it comes to a synth that came as ugly as the 303 anyway?
The voice of reason... =D>

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

space6oy wrote:
ComputerControlled wrote:These new TT303s that everyone is geeking about... they're nothing but Technology Transplant x0xb0xes in a new wrapper. His x0xb0xes are total s**t. s**t quality. I spent hours online with a friend trying to debug a PCB error on one i was building for a friend, only to have it die on him a few months later. Avoid!!!
Hmm, someone over at gearslutz just said the opposite - that these are not x0xb0xes, nor built by TT but "designed by a 3rd party in the US". Dunno then. Anyway, happy with my Acidlab Bassline and I certainly don't understand copying the looks like that (or of course I understand *why*, just don't see the point when you could do it better).

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Just a point on the filter and 24db.... To quote my synth tech, who has designed a few synths and repaired many....

The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.

Just thought it may interest you.
You always want just one more Synth!

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Synthacon wrote: The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.
Thanks for that.

I thought I remembered reading something along those lines a while back. Makes a bit more sense now.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Synthacon wrote:Just a point on the filter and 24db.... To quote my synth tech, who has designed a few synths and repaired many....

The filter is a -24dB/octave filter built from a diode ladder. It can be thought of as four -6dB/octave stages connected one after another. However, the cascading action isn’t text-book perfect. Unlike the transistor ladder-filter, each successive stage of the diode ladder loads the previous one, producing a rounding-off of the initial filter slope. So the filter tends to a -24dB/octave roll-off but takes longer to get there than other designs. This gives the impression of a brighter-sounding filter than typical four-stage filters. Indeed, close to the cutoff frequency, it does shows a similar roll off to a three-stage, -18dB/octave filter.

Just thought it may interest you.
Also adding how the power supply affects the 303's sound. The 303 has an inductor based DC/DC converter that affects the behaviour on accents and high resonance settings, this makes it smoother, more liquid sounding, compressed and more dynamic on the 303.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |