Cyclone TT-303

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SKINNYPIG

Re: Cyclone TT-303

Post by SKINNYPIG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Very strange things are afoot.
a ton of demos from various youtube users were posted and then very quickly taken down.
Also the thing selling out almost instantly seems pretty suss.

as for the unit itself; I think it seems pretty sweet, I've never felt the urge to fork out for an original 303 but always thought they looked pretty fun to d**k around with. I have a MAM Freebass so I'm used to hearing an half arsed 303 sound with a 24db filter, not too shabby imho (although those high notes were pretty nasty)

lack of din synk is a pain but not insurmountable, would have been nice to hook it up to my 606 but I can always go through my 707

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm kind of wondering what kind of music would need a wiggly 303 line anymore..

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:Very strange things are afoot.
a ton of demos from various youtube users were posted and then very quickly taken down.
Also the thing selling out almost instantly seems pretty suss.

as for the unit itself; I think it seems pretty sweet, I've never felt the urge to fork out for an original 303 but always thought they looked pretty fun to d**k around with. I have a MAM Freebass so I'm used to hearing an half arsed 303 sound with a 24db filter, not too shabby imho (although those high notes were pretty nasty)

lack of din synk is a pain but not insurmountable, would have been nice to hook it up to my 606 but I can always go through my 707
Which videos in particular? I'm still seeing a lot when I search on youtube. Even this one posted by the company themselves:

The 24db filter issue was disccussed earlier.

I'm happy to plod along and wait til a few more people have tried it before I get all pantsy about it.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:02 am

a user called 'Bonnline' had several videos doing a direct a/b comparison with an original 303, all of these are now gone as well as others

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:48 am

Fair enough.

Though that only seems to be one user, not "a ton of demos from various users". From memory weren't his demos just mic recordings and using different distortion pedals anyway? P'raps he's just re-doing some better ones.

I wouldn't be jumping to any Orwellian conclusions just yet. :)

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Apparently the manufacturer has been requesting people remove their videos until they post some of their own demos (presumably with better sound quality)

another youtube channel posted this:
The manufacturer of the TT303 will be uploading some official videos soon but until that time he has requested that I remove the links to the 3 videos on youtube so far.

So I will do this.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Hmm. That's a shame. Especially since their official demo with distortion sounds a bit like an old arse.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I can understand that. They don't want people's first impression to be lousy handheld camera recordings of a preview unit..People will be searching for it on youtube ALOT more when it's released.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm

While it appears i was a little off with my description of these being nothing but TT b0xes, it IS partly correct. These ARE by Cy of TT. CyClone and TT should give that away right off the bat. They have been, however, redesigned. Robin Whittle even gives his approval. I just sold my FR Revoltion, so i'm tempted to pick one of these up and check it out. If i don't like it, i'll hold onto it and sell it for 303 prices after the Roland Jap Slap against Cy =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Looks like Robin Whittle from Real World Interfaces aka Devilfish Mods for the TB-303 is also watching this new 303 clone.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/

Devil Fish mods for the Cyclone Analogic TT-303

2012-12-02 Robin Whittle rw@firstpr.com.au

Introduction
On 28th November 2012 Cyclone Analogic, based in Hong Kong, released what is in many respects a TB-303 replica. At present there's nothing at their sites:

http://www.cyclone-analogic.com
http://www.tt-303.com

but I imagine these sites will be up and running soon. "TT" stands for "21st Century Transistor Technology".

There's a page about the release at MatrixSynth:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/11/full-d ... b-303.html

and a brochure, of which a copy is here: TT-303 Bass Bot Brochure R1.1_ENG.pdf From this brochure, the recommended retail prices are:

•UK: £449.00 + VAT
•EU: €549.00 + VAT
•USA: $699.99 + VAT

The Bass Bot appears to do everything a TB-303 does except that it does not receive Roland/DIN Sync. This is an attractive, well-designed and well-made instrument with the following key features:

•Exactly the same size and shape as a TB-303. Almost the same appearance, with similar or identical typefaces.

•The LEDs do not protrude from the front panel. In place of the aluminium switch plate is a robust polycarbonate faceplate with diffused windows for the LED light. All LEDs are tri-colour- Red-Green-Blue, and the machine can display a complete range of colors on each LED individually.

•Transmits and receives MIDI for Notes, with Accent (velocity) and Slide (two or more tied notes).

•MIDI dump and save of memory contents.

•Non-volatile memory - does not require batteries.

•Far greater Pattern storage 7 x 4 = 8 = 224 patterns.

•New and superior Pattern write and edit capabilities with copy and paste.

•Patterns can contain 64 notes, such as by copying up to four 16 note patterns into one. Up to 8 patterns can be copied into one.

•Bot capabilities for generating random Patterns in various styles, in a separate "preset" set of 224 Patterns, which can then be copied to the main Pattern memory area for editing.

•More elaborate Track editing.

•Other features such as Mutate and Arpeggiator.

•I think the silver paintwork on the TT-303 is more robust than that of the TB-303. TB-303 paintwork tended to become discoloured with lots of handling, I think due to some aluminium flakes being exposed to the air and touch. I think the TT-303 paintwork will not have this problem.

•The buttons and knobs are hard chrome plated, like those of the TB-303. One of the remarkable things about the TB-303 is that the knobs and buttons could remain in perfect shape after many years of use, provided they were not in a corrosive atmosphere. Hopefully the TT-303 knobs and buttons will prove to be similarly robust.

•The TT-303's MIDI socket, in the location of the original's Sync socket, accepts a standard 5 pin DIN plug for MIDI In. For MIDI Out, an adaptor lead with two 5 pin DIN sockets is used, providing MIDI In and MIDI Out simultaneously.
The TT-303 comes with a 9 volt power adaptor which runs from any mains voltage. Our adaptor has two round pins, but I guess adaptors will be chosen to match the country of sale.

The TT-303 comes with a user manual which is clear, concise and well-illustrated. The manual mentions a Drum Drone TT-606, so keep an eye on http://www.tt-606.com .

The machine is available from Superior Sounds of London in the UK:

http://www.superiorsoundslondon.co.uk/i ... ducts_id=1

from Rhythm Active in Sydney, Australia:

http://www.rhythmactive.com.au

in the USA from:

http://www.syntaur.com/TT303.html (photos)

It is 31 years since the Roland TB-303 was developed. 1982 is generally regarded as the year it was released, but my friends and I first heard of it and the TR-606 from Kraftwerk's tour manager during their Australian tour in September 1981.

Please keen an eye on the above Cyclone Analogic websites. This is an historic development in the adventures of the TB-303 and its successors - and in Chinese synthesizer manufacturing and design. However, much of the design of the TT-303 - including I assume the schematic, PCB and firmware - was done by Rezonance Labs in the USA.

There's a lively discussion of the TT-303 on the Analogue Heaven mailing list - with the messages in sequential order on multiple pages or in a threaded structure:

http://analogue-heaven.1065350.n5.nabbl ... .html#none

http://analogue-heaven.1065350.n5.nabbl ... .html#none

Here is sub-thread in which I report on the capacitors and overall design of the filter being apparently identical to that of the TB-303:

http://analogue-heaven.1065350.n5.nabbl ... ml#a104573

To join the Analogue Heaven mailing list, please see http://machines.hyperreal.org/Analogue-Heaven/ .

Our planned Devil Fish mods for the TT-303
Tina and I plan to perform the Devil Fish modifications to these machines, starting in late January or early February 2013, as a complete package, without options. By doing so, all Devil Fish modified TT-303s will have the same capabilities. We will cover the warranty on the TT-303 itself. We have not yet decided on pricing. The capabilities will be the Devil Fish mods as described in the current User Manual ../Devil-Fish-Manual.pdf with the following differences:

•There is no need for, or possibility of, the 32 Bank Memory system. The TT-303 has plenty of memory. A major feature of the 32 Bank Memory system is the ability to switch to other banks, and therefore other patterns in those banks, in the middle of patterns. As far as I know, there's no way with the current TT-303 firmware of switching from one pattern to another in the middle of a pattern - the current pattern will always play to completion before the new one starts.

•There's no need for the current Devil Fish MIDI In system (or the extension to MIDI Out, which I am working on), since the TT-303 has MIDI In and Out. However, I plan to use a microcontroller to achieve these goals which will bring the modified machine up to full Devil Fish functionality:

◦Reception of a MIDI Controller, most likely the Mod Wheel, to control the Filter Frequency.

◦Reception of MIDI Sync to drive the Roland/DIN Sync pins, so that the optional Sync Lead (../sync-lead/) can be used when receiving MIDI to drive Roland/DIN Sync to up to three other devices, such as TB-303s, TR-606s and TR-808s.

◦Reception of Roland/DIN Sync so the TT-303's internal sequencer will run from this.

•We will install Omron sealed tact switches in place of the unsealed switches which are currently installed. Unsealed tact switches will eventually become erratic due to ingress of dust, which is primarily flakes of skin. The TT-303 has some protection against this by way of a random-weave black fabric sheet above the switches which should reduce the ingress of dust into the switches. We are keen to make all Devil Fishes work for decades. With heavy use even with a plastic sheet dust guard (as we used to do for the Devil Fish before we obtained the Omron sealed switches) some customers needed their switches replaced after 5 years or so. (For TT-303s with their original tact switches, I suggest it would be a good idea to gently vacuum the whole keyboard area every week or so of heavy use, since this will to some extent remove dust which has settled on the random-weave fabric layer and which otherwise might eventually make its way into the switches.)

•We will modify the 6 small pots to correct a potential problem which affected the original TB-303 pots, but not the Technology Transplant pots we are now installing in Devil Fishes. The downwards movement of the shaft and rotor in the TT-303 pots is not limited by the bottom end of the shaft itself. In the TT-303 pots, the bottom end of the shaft is just a little too short, and the result is that if the knob is turned at the same time the user presses down on the knob, this will cause the outer part of the rotor inside the pot to rub on the conductive tracks, which will eventually cut through one or more of the pots, causing the pot to fail suddenly. I do not regard this as a serious fault of the TT-303. The User Manual (page 19) cautions against pressing down on the knobs. The 6 small pots have their knobs mounted a little higher than in the TB-303 and the pots are easy to turn, which should reduce the tendency of people to press the knob while turning it. Nonetheless, we want the Devil Fish modified machines to be as reliable as possible, so we will be modifying these pots so the problem cannot occur.

•There's no need for, or possibility of, replacing the LEDs.

•We will be honoring the warranty on the TT-303, since modification voids the manufacturer's warranty and puts the machine technically beyond the scope of what their Cyclone Analogic's service technicians are ready to handle.

•We are considering ways of providing a light, compact but robust road-case.

Update history:
•2012 November 28: Initial version with updates on the day.
•2012 November 29: Minor updates to URLs. Added links to AH discussions.
•2012 December 02: Added further details of what we plan for the Devil Fish mods.

© Robin Whittle 2012.
Return to the main Devil Fish page.

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:48 pm

JJQ wrote:And no din-sync...
Yep,no din-sync.
Looks like this will be the first mod is born.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'm kind of wondering what kind of music would need a wiggly 303 line anymore..
You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I'm kind of wondering wha
► Show Spoiler
t kind of music would need a wiggly 303 line anymore..
You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music.
Apparently we have two of them right here.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 am

Zing?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:39 am

For $700, this is laughable. Grab an Andy Pledger x0xb0x. Or other high quality build. Cy is goudging while he can on the case similarity. The cheese factor just screams at me, stay away.

Maybe I am way off on this. Time will prove me an asshole or not.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty