What are your favorite type of synth sounds?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Re: What are your favorite type of synth sounds?

Post by Infrasound » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm

This is what originally got me into synths (and I suspect quite a few others)

[bbvideo]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=NbKAh3zJmH8[/bbvideo]

and this

[bbvideo]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=NbKAh3zJmH8[/bbvideo]

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Bitexion wrote:The SNES sound engine is based on samples of instruments. So they might aswell be Fairlight samples. It doesn't have square waves or oscillators like the NES did. Which is also why the SNES music doesn't sound like "8-bit chip music" at all.
I think he was suggesting to look toward the fairlight samples for something of a similar tonality to the SNES which is somewhat ridiculous because proper fairlight sample sets are a lot more difficult to come across than SNES samples.

Just use SPCtool and .rsn's and you're good to go!

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Bitexion wrote:That's not even a synth..it's just a drum and some horns blasting.

Clearly I should have tagged it with <kidding> </kidding>. 'Twas a bit of an attempt at humor.

I prefer base waves rich in harmonics; I also prefer to distort those waves to create even more harmonics; I also enjoy the sound of a comb filter and a bitcrusher used sparingly; I enjoy the sounds of older samplers that were limited by bitrate and the fact that you would sample a sound, play it an octave or three lower than the original sound and get a whole new palette of sounds to chop and use. Take those chopped pieces, blend and serve. I enjoy the sounds machines tend to make when you push them past their 'typical operation parameters' and start glitching out or acting sixteen ways of odd. :)

I enjoy being able to take a sample of something you might hear every day, process it to the point where it's completely indistinguishable from the original, and added bonus points for it sounding either haunting or demonic.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Back to topic, these:

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Bitexion wrote:The SNES sound engine is based on samples of instruments. So they might aswell be Fairlight samples. It doesn't have square waves or oscillators like the NES did. Which is also why the SNES music doesn't sound like "8-bit chip music" at all.
No wonder they could get away with stuff like this:

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

I tend to favor long swelling heavy layered pads with simple sequences like the first 2 minutes of this..

And gotta love 80's synth pop like Tony Carey's "Why Me"

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm

tekkentool wrote:
HUBA wrote: Yeah. It's just that it all sounded very SNES like to me, as you mentioned yourself regarding one of the sounds. I'm convinced that with the right modulation these kind of sounds cold very well be used for things sounding far away from computer game music. I wish there was a synth based on that Sony SNES chip with crazy modulation possibilities..
Well the original SNES chip was entirely sample based, replicating the sound of it is more a case of getting the composition right more than anything, it had 8 voices, very little sample memory, a low bitrate, a noise generator and f**k awful reverb algorithm. Getting those facets of it right can actually lend to getting nice emulations of the sound, it's more about the mindset than the hardware really. I have a program that actually rips the original samples used from SNES songs (some cool little tones in there, even to use as wavetables) but the samples only get you 1/4 of the way there.
Ok I see. I'm actually more into those rough, punchy fx sounds from say super mario world than the typical SNES music, but that program sounds very interesting.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic btw. Some of those SNES sounds really are among my favorites! :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 am

It's the same line of thinking as this:

You can have an entire OB Matrix Xpander filled with Nine Inch Nails presets (even the ones made by Reznor for the albums), but you won't instantly make something useful with them, you'll play some of your fave NIN lines and leave it at that.

Who plays anything but THAT jump riff with a OB Jump preset on any synth that features one?

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm kind of on the eternal search for new, strange, yet playable sounds. Human-like is certainly possible, detuning too, since any "movement" seems to make things "alive."

However, in particular it needs to be without adding too many effects. There are lots of nice sounds out there, some powerful synths... but strip them of the effects section, and they're quite "basic." So, I like to tweak the basics in the search for newness! :D

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm

I really love band-pass filter bass sounds, the CS-40M i had was incredible as you could have 2 unfiltered sine waves under the BPF. Sounded so massive and its a favourite feature on my Andromeda. Going to buy a CS-15 in the next 2 months
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:37 pm

I love squelchy bass sounds (cutoff way down, resonance way up). I could listen to them all day. I try to recreate that sound on every synth I play. Kavinsky's "Nightcall" is a good example:

I also love filter sweeps a la "Tom Sawyer." But I don't dare post a link to that. I guess most people would deem "TS" to be pretty tired nowadays. :?

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh, and "Vox Humana"-like patches. Here's the real deal:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

Aaron2 wrote:I love squelchy bass sounds (cutoff way down, resonance way up). I could listen to them all day. I try to recreate that sound on every synth I play. Kavinsky's "Nightcall" is a good example:

Two thumbs up on Kavinsky!
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Walter Ego wrote:Two thumbs up on Kavinsky!
I'd never heard of Kavinsky (real name: Vincent Belorgey) until about a month ago. But I really enjoy his work (even though there's really not much of it). He's a talented guy. Check out "Pacific Coast Highway" from the same EP:

Love the lead tone; love those arpeggios in the background; nice bass. All of the tones and patches he uses are tasty. :D

Financier
Gear: Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai MPK 49

Post by Financier » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I loved ELO, Styx and Klaatu in the late 70s. But Patrick Cowley sealed the deal with anything he recordrd.
"Toe Pick"