Know this Lowrey organ (pic)?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Know this Lowrey organ (pic)?

Post by code green » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey all--Not a synth, obviously, but I know there are some organ fans here too. Anyone know anything about this here Lowrey? On local Criagslist and I'm intrigued...

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Know this Lowrey organ (pic)?

Post by skizzle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 am

i know its not a d-575 cotillion.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 am

If the owner doesn't know what model it is, suggest they check for a panel on the back. I've a little experience with Yamaha Electones, and they have a panel near the mains lead that has the model details as well as the serial number. That may be a general organ thing and apply to Lowreys as well. Often the only way to tell the model is from that panel. Then you'll be able to get some information online.

I'd expect you'll need to talk to the seller anyway to check the dimensions, if they haven't already given those. Bear in mind you'll need to get the organ 1) into a vehicle, and 2) through a door into your house. It's easy to think of the first and forget the second.

I saw a Lowrey for sale last year. The tone was remarkably good, but it was extremely heavy.
Free the Jupiter 8!

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm

'tis the Contempo-80/Coronation from 1978

http://taylor-tx.showmethead.com/music- ... 89736.html

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm

According to the Organ Blue Book it's a 1976 Lowrey Contempo 80 (renamed D-550 contempo 80 in '77).

It was the 'contemporary' styled version of the top of the range Lowrey spinet, the Symphonic Citation Theatre, aka D-500 'Coronation',
which was the one with the black control panel pictured above.

Features include 13 pedals w/sustain, vibrato, leslie, reverb & sustain, Auto-wow, AOC, Orchestral symphonizer, Genie auto rhythm/accomp.,
Golden harp, 13 solo presets, Glide.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:37 pm

I very much appreciate the replies guys (and Micke--I'm honored to be the subject of one of your uncanny ID jobs). From the info available it sounds pretty great. For $125, I might just have to pick it up. Although physically...that might be the rub (picking it up, that is). Not sure how, exactly, this would make it to my upstairs studio.