Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Post by Pro5 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Hugo76 wrote:
ellaguru wrote:i finally updated my vsynth to the 2.0 version, and the usb drivers work perfectly with my pc (win7 64bit os).
cheers
Really? So you're able to use the librarian?
I've been able to use the librarian and to/from data dumps on windows 7 64 and 8.1! It works fine, it's only the usb 'midi' functionality that won't work on newer windows.

So you can use for patch transfers over usb (Though I mostly use my roland card through transcend adapter plugged into the V), but you can't (as far as I've been able to tell) use the V-Synth as a midi interface by hooking it up to USB.

btw you don't even NEED drivers for the PC to see it as a mass storage device. Lots of confusion here it - remember the 'USB' in the V-synth has two functionalities, one is standard (and working) patch data shifting to/fro - the other is the more advanced use it as a midi device instead of using midi cables (which doesn't work on newer windows).

Remember to set the USB correctly on the V-SYnth menu itself for it to be seen as a storage device, then you can load/save to windows just fine, and use the roland librarian. I do prefer the Card method though (I don't mean to pc - just self contained.. I ended up finding an 8GB roland card (M-8G) for next to nothing so use that, but the V can only use so much of it anyway so only buy the size it can use if you want to save cash - think i got the 8GB for £8 lol).

Oh and I've A/Bd the V-Synths sound capabilities against analog, digital and VA and it most certainly holds it's own in each area. Then it does things others simply can't do. If you just dive in you'll get the digital character smeared all over your sounds, but once you know it better you'll discover how to nuance it, also how to get the best out of it (not just analog emulations). The things I do on the V and the way it's all so usefully functional, from interface to tempo/midi control on everything, to the vast array of choices for basic sound on board and via samples - now often form new ideas that I'd never have had with other synths. It's extremely useful and rewarding for creating new worlds, so to speak, rather than retreading old ones.

As a VA? well depends on what kind of sound you emulating and it's better at some sounds than others, but it's seen off every other VA i've thrown at it (other than the AN1x which has some special character/mojo the V nor many other VA's have for some reason) < edited I had put prophecy but meant An1x. An1x is a go-to psuedo analog, while V-synth is a more in-depth sound design machine that is 'better' for being digital (but it's not warm). The V-synth and the AN1x compliment each other very well, one gets instant 'fat' analog style tones (An1x), the other is like a trip through space with all the cold that should bring.... A V-synth combined with a GOOD VA or a super-analog (something better than Junos etc) is probably pretty much all you need for your poly duties.. maybe a bit of FM
Last edited by Pro5 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:15 am

@Pro5:

That's awesome news, I thought the librarian was of no use anymore. Thanks for the info! :-D

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 am

I thought V-Synth was an exaggerated synth by its users; until I got one. Boy I was wrong, VERY wrong.

11 years old synth with 2 gb CF sample support, tons of filters and fx. Good controls and keybed. I'll try to get VC-1 when I get the chance.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Mino wrote:I thought V-Synth was an exaggerated synth by its users; until I got one. Boy I was wrong, VERY wrong.

11 years old synth with 2 gb CF sample support, tons of filters and fx. Good controls and keybed. I'll try to get VC-1 when I get the chance.
V-synth is by no means over-hyped nor over-rated. Most people don't 'get it' so it's actually vastly undervalued, and that means the original (and best 8-) ) V-synth Keyboard is available at prices that puts everything else you can buy for that money to shame. Seriously.

It's quite literally a world of sound and fully open ended (thanks to you providing the oscillators via sampling whatever), something about the way you can just reach out and grab a function to do what you need and how you can map anything to anything so easily (either from the step mod or to the physical controls on the left inc the pad and bender/mod). It's probably the most empowered I've ever felt when creating sounds on a synth. I reach my limits before the V-Synth does. The only other synth I can say that about is an Advanced FM like the SY77/99 (and they are nowhere near as fun to program as the V-synth; nor, it has to be said, do they sound quite as amazing and versatile as the V)

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:29 pm

The V-Synth is Fisher Price junk. The "Time Trip" pad and other gimmicks show that it has more in common with the Casio Rapman than a serious instrument. For the same money you can get an Ipad and Beats by Dre cans. Probably the mpc app too.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 pm

More of these negative comments please, drag the price down!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:01 am

Yeah those Beats by Dre are so much cooler than a V-Synth :lol:

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:57 pm

supermel74 wrote:The V-Synth is Fisher Price junk. The "Time Trip" pad and other gimmicks show that it has more in common with the Casio Rapman than a serious instrument. For the same money you can get an Ipad and Beats by Dre cans. Probably the mpc app too.
Says the man who has obviously never even touched one let alone programmed it. :lol:

seriously, say what you like about it. I've had over 50 synths now and the V-synth is my favourite of them all, analog, digital, whatever. If you have an ounce of creativity and a desire to make sounds suitable for actually making good records you will find the V-synth an immensely useful tool. It's also more than just it's sound, but how nice it is to work with, to program, to use as the beating heart of your studio (all the MIDI syncable/outputable stuff to your other synths; it acts like a master controller on top of being one of the most unique sounding machines ever made)

Along with my JX3P, or by now beating it in fact, it has been the spark of the most number of my new songs or demos, some of my best songs wouldn't exist without the V-Synth inspiring me to create that riff, that sequence, that sound... It's sounds can take you away from the usual areas and ignite ideas like nothing else.

BTW - you are not forced to use the pad and d-beam you know? I never touch the d-beam and rarely the pad. It's the engine I'm into and nothing else hardware does that, or sounds like that.

And as for fisher price? Don't know what you are talking about, it's probably the most well built/finished synth I've owned overall - extremely solid and professional feeling, no corner cutting by using cheap materials as on some toy-like boxes. It's a definite flagship. No Roland flagship was ever a fisher price toy!

I've been thinking about getting an XT and GT to go in my V collection so yes, please do keep the negative comments up. They are what led probably to me bagging such a bargain on my first mint V-synth V2.

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 pm

supermel74 wrote:The V-Synth is Fisher Price junk. The "Time Trip" pad and other gimmicks show that it has more in common with the Casio Rapman than a serious instrument. For the same money you can get an Ipad and Beats by Dre cans. Probably the mpc app too.
Hysterical! Sarcasm is so tough to pull off online. The "Dre cans" really sealed it for me. Nice work!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

chipaudette wrote:
Hysterical! Sarcasm is so tough to pull off online. The "Dre cans" really sealed it for me. Nice work!
If he was being sarcastic it was a piss poor attempt. It's as if emoticons have never been invented.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Pro5 wrote:
chipaudette wrote:
If he was being sarcastic it was a piss poor attempt. It's as if emoticons have never been invented.
Then it would have been too obvious. I mean Dre cans? Really? :lol:

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Hybrid88 wrote: Then it would have been too obvious. I mean Dre cans? Really? :lol:
Yeah the problem is the first part of his post reads exactly like a 'fair point' of perception of the "gimmicks" of the V-Synth, it doesn't at all sound sarcastic. The fact he lists iPad in his gear list also makes it read as if he's serious???

The rest obviously does sound sarcastic, and I would hope it is, but the delivery isn't very amusing imo. Anyway, he's wrong, sarcasm or not. 8-)

edit > missed the quote marks around "gimmicks" - in other words, I don't think they are gimmicks, they can and are often just perceived that way by those that don't own a V-synth. I agree with the post below the pad can act just like a ribbon (though I don't use ribbons much either on my synths that had/have them), the D-beam is kinda nice to have for free but I don't get much use out of it, mainly as I always have another synth above the V anyway blocking it (So deactivate it on all my sounds). I do sometimes use the CCs from the pad AND in the past, the D-beam, to control my 3P (modded to accept CC).

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Speaking personally, I'm still a little surprised that some folk find the TT pad and D-Beam to be a little "gimmicky", but as usual, to each their own. These additions to the V don't bother me in any way and make for very useful alternate controllers. The TT pad I really don't find any different from a ribbon (and most people seem perfectly happy with those), and imo, it's more useful than a ribbon because of the +/- XY facility and the fact that mod routings on the V are so extensive. Being able to hold the TT pad position where you've touched it is essentially the same as having a joystick (something I'm accustomed to the from the VCS3) and if you're keen on real time sound mangling, the TT pad and D beam between them kind of emphasise that this synth is just a bit different from the others. Yes, I've seen the YouTube clips of the rather twonk-like, interpretive dance style D-Beam moves from some players, but it can be used carefully and as an integral part of the sound, (and in ways that don't make you look like a d**k) particularly if you assign parameters to it that aren't already on the front panel.

And yes, build quality has already been mentioned - sturdy and solid, certainly the best built synth I have right now.

But hey, if trash talking it is likely to get prices down, then I'll sign up under another name and do it, I might be able to get a cheap XT or something :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:44 am

I find both the TTpad and the D-Beams to be fantastic, top notch controllers. My love for the V-Synth will never die.

mute

Post by mute » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:35 am

failing to notice sarcasm then trying to point out why it wasn't sarcasm?
...suppose it has to wear a dress or it's lost in translation.

:lol: