Led Zep - In the Light

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thesanford

Led Zep - In the Light

Post by thesanford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Does anyone know the synth used in this song?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Led Zep - In the Light

Post by Micke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 pm

It was an EMS VCS3. JPJ confirmed this in the dec '77 issue ofcontemporary keyboard.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

thesanford

Post by thesanford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:26 pm

That's hilarious I'm sitting next to a vcs3 right now. Thanks

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Steiner-Parker Synthacon.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 pm

thesanford wrote:That's hilarious I'm sitting next to a vcs3 right now. Thanks
Now that'sa coincidence!

@sweep: believe me, it can't have been a Synthacon. "In The Light" was recorded in Feb '74, about one and a half year before
the synthacon hit the streets. And why would JPJ lie about it!?

Here's a quote from JPJ:
"I did use an old EMS VCS3 synthesizer on Physical Graffiti for "In The Light". It wasn't sophisticated enough to really sound like a synthesizer and you really had to be on the ball because it was murder to keep in tune. It did have a little joystick arrangement that could be used to control the pitch, though, so you could slide things; it was very manageable. But it couldn't go on the road. I had too much trouble with the mellotron in those days to take anything else out. Rober Plant was always saying "We've got to do "In The Light" onstage, " and I said, "No way, or I have to contend with synthesizers as well.
(from the Dec '77 issue of Contemporary keyboard)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm

JPJ is the MAN

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 am

Micke wrote:@sweep: believe me, it can't have been a Synthacon. "In The Light" was recorded in Feb '74, about one and a half year before
the synthacon hit the streets. And why would JPJ lie about it!?
Apologies. It was faithfully reported to be a Synthacon a long time ago and I always assumed that to be the case. I suppose it just goes to show that because you've heard something long ago and always thought it was true, it may not be.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Aside from the GX-1 on ITtOD, it seems like the VCS3 was the synth on most Zeppelin tunes, if this page is accurate: http://www.reocities.com/jpjkeys/emsvcs3.html

The Crunge and Four Sticks certainly have that weird, buzzy sound, don't they?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, and according to this page: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/stud ... e-gear/183
- Jimme Page used his ARP 2500 and Odyssey on "Boogie with stu" and "Bonzo's Montreaux"
respectively.

Speaking of the ARP 2500; Jimmy's experimental/avant-garde soundtrack to "Lucifer Rising" features it quite prominently:

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I recall reading something about JPJ having two sets of bass pedal controllers that both drove the same synth. One set was at his standing position where he played bass, and the other was at his keyboard stack.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!