New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

New Moog

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... -next-moog

looks like a phatty with a bit more filter options. so far I'm merely distracted by the animations on the video....

2 oscs with sub-osc

seems strange to me to make a note of how stable the tuning on the oscillators is in this day and age. could just be a throwback reference or it could be hinting at digitally controlled oscillator structure.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: New Moog

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Juicy...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:05 pm

My bets on the the throwback reference, he probably wouldn't want to give the message of "not pure analog" or whatever. That would be a bad marketing move, and customers would lose interest.

And the throwback reference makes him look like part of "the team"

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 pm

Can't wait to see the front panel!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Until I see more: YAWN, nothing really new and exciting. But that's what I said when I first saw the MiniBrute and quickly changed my mind once I heard about the mutli-mode S-P filter.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 pm

I just watched that demo and am fairly interested. MOPHO ala Moog Style? Sure. At least that's the impression I had form watching it. Hopefully there will be sweet LFO options. I personally liked that the noise circuit seemed better. Generally noise on the LP/voyager are kind of weak. Love me some noise. IDK def have to wait till NAMM but was intrigued immediately after hearing the demo.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm

to me it's something else fun to play if I can afford it.....
which is off-putting because it'll likely msrp for $1400 similar to lil phatty iirc.

same reason I don't have jet-skis

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm

I wish for a new polysynth from Moog. However, the price would probably be so ridiculous I wouldn't afford one ever anyway.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Bitexion wrote:I wish for a new polysynth from Moog. However, the price would probably be so ridiculous I wouldn't afford one ever anyway.
Yeah me too. A Moog polysynth would be awesome. Yet another monophonoic doesn't really excite me much.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Agreed, a Moog analog poly would not only be awesome, but expensive. The best route that could go if they decide to make one is to make it like an OB-X where you can buy as many voice boards as you could afford or add as you can afford. That way you'd only have a a $2K or so upfront cost for a 1 or 2 voice model and then spend $500-$600 for each additional voice.

Just my $0.02

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm

So is this "new" or just a rework of an existing product?

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Maybe a new version of the Prodigy.

They should better bring the Modular back,or a decent Poly.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Looks to me like they've thrown something together to compete with the Arturia Minibrute. Nice to see they've implemented overdrive without it distorting like buggery as the Arturia does, though. Depending on price it should appeal to quite a few people. A variable mode filter like the Dark Energy Two might have been nice, as something a bit different from the standard Moog configuration, but still, I suppose if anyone wants that they can add the Dark Energy to the signal path via MIDI.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm

jaypodesta wrote:So is this "new" or just a rework of an existing product?
Depends upon your point of view. For instance, it has the standard Moog filter, and sounds like a modernized version of the original Minimoog oscillators (i.e., L'il and Slim Phatty oscillators). So, no matter what, you can say that every Moog after the Model D Minimoog is a "rework of an existing product".

DCO's? I doubt it, no other oscillator they make is anything other than analog. You have to remember Mr. Deutsch's perspective, he was there from the very beginning, so he knows well what the older, unstable, oscillators sounded like.
I would imagine that for the past few years, they have been building the expo converters with LM3046 chips (yes, they still make the surface-mount version) and wiring a spare transistor on the chip as a "heater".

Besides the cool sounds, and graphics, the first thing that caught my eye was the lack of an LCD screen! I'm guessing (hoping) there is no digital circuitry at all other than midi. There weren't even any buttons to change the functions of the pots as there are on the Phatty, so there isn't even the use of logic chips for those type of controls!

I said somewhere in another thread that I was wanting something like a "Li'l Phatty Old School". Looks like my dream came true, with a few cool additions! Yes, the Phattys have a noise generator, assuming you can find it through all the menus, and the way the new filter overdrive works is really neat.

If they put it in a case design similar to the Voyager Old School, I'm going to have to buy one, even if I have to sell off every other synth I have to get it!
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Z wrote:Agreed, a Moog analog poly would not only be awesome, but expensive. The best route that could go if they decide to make one is to make it like an OB-X where you can buy as many voice boards as you could afford or add as you can afford. That way you'd only have a a $2K or so upfront cost for a 1 or 2 voice model and then spend $500-$600 for each additional voice.

Just my $0.02
:thumbleft: