New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
volumetrik

Re: New Moog

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Voyager OS was discontinued cause it wasn't selling. If this doesn't sell it will be discontinued as well, that's what companies do.
thats not for certain for all we know it could have been a deliberate limited edition

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 am

volumetrik wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:The Voyager OS was discontinued cause it wasn't selling. If this doesn't sell it will be discontinued as well, that's what companies do.
thats not for certain for all we know it could have been a deliberate limited edition
Like the Taurus 3.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 am

Yeah, I don't remember it being ever listed as a full new release.
And I don't think anyone was demanding a slightly different Voyager flavor with no patch memory.
I think it MUST have done something or else why would they do the same thing for the Phatty....?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 am

volumetrik wrote:
It wasn't marketed as a limited edition when they announced it.

If you're doing a limited edition run of something you market it as such so that people buy it more quickly due to the fact that they know they can't get one later on if they all sell out. It's marketing 101. Moog are fully aware of this and have used that tactic with the Taurus 3 and various MF-104 models (due to scarcity of BBD chips).

Therefore we can deduce that the Voyager OS was not originally intended to be a limited edition product, and was discontinued due to lack of sales. The fact that it was discontinued four years ago and there are still shops you can buy a new one from supports this.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 am

silikon wrote:I'm excited to give this new machine a whirl. I know I can't be in the minority stating that I enjoy the new Moog stuff, sound and interface included. The Little Phatty is an excellent machine with a dead simple interface. Judging by what little I've seen of this new machine, it'll be heaps of fun. :)
this.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: It wasn't marketed as a limited edition when they announced it.
ok but Moog doesn't necessarily have to announce their intentions publicly, we don't know their strategies, how they look at things, a product with no MIDI in this day and age surely Moog wasn't looking at it like its a cash cow, at the same time calling such a classic reissue product limited edition wouldn't have made it look right.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

Seeing as I've already outlined the facts regarding whether or not the OS was a limited edition and you've chosen to ignore them we might as well get back on topic. :thumbleft:

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 pm

the only new moog im excited about is the TLC-needing micromoog im picking up tomorrow :D

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:06 am

So it has patch memory. Interesting. "Start saving" they say... Yikes.

Also, sadly looks like it keeps the wedge shape judging by the curved back. I would have preferred voyager/model d style.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:04 am

Kidney05 wrote:So it has patch memory. Interesting. "Start saving" they say... Yikes.
I think they're referring to the ability to save patches. :idea:

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 am

I always thought the curved rear panel looked kind of tacky. Like they were trying too hard to make it look "modern", whatever the h**l that means.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 am

Dang, if it has patch and CV in/out at $1K I might have to start saving...

16 patches then?

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:27 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Dang, if it has patch and CV in/out at $1K I might have to start saving...

16 patches then?

yyyyyeah...i saw that as well and thought

"16.....you might as well just cut out the PS idea entirely" :lol:

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Kenneth wrote:I always thought the curved rear panel looked kind of tacky. Like they were trying too hard to make it look "modern", whatever the h**l that means.
I always thought the opposite, that they were trying too hard to make it look like the Minimoog, just without the added complexity of a hinged box.

Sixteen memory slots does seem very limited, almost not worth bothering about. I always feel kinda limited with only a hundred on the LP -- not that I'm anywhere near filling it up, but any decade now I will do :lol:

I feel freer to experiment on my Mopho because there are plenty of slots to fill and crappy factory presets to overwrite. But 16... might as well start writing paper patch sheets ;)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

phesago wrote:
silikon wrote:I'm excited to give this new machine a whirl. I know I can't be in the minority stating that I enjoy the new Moog stuff, sound and interface included. The Little Phatty is an excellent machine with a dead simple interface. Judging by what little I've seen of this new machine, it'll be heaps of fun. :)
this.
+1

This think looks sweet, always liked the Phatty too. But this looks set to be a bass monster, all you guys complaining need to stop having a whinge and just appreciate it for what it is.

And 16 patches seems fine given this seems targeted towards being a bass synth (having a short kbd and sub OSC).

And damn, if it doesn't sound good! I've never been a fan of the Voyager sonically at all (actually hate it), but the Phatty and now this seem to be much more to my liking for a modern moog sound. Can't wait for NAMM! :D