New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: New Moog

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
phesago wrote:
silikon wrote:And 16 patches seems fine given this seems targeted towards being a bass synth (having a short kbd and sub OSC).
yeah... the Source only had 8... and realistically, are there more than 8 normal "moog" sounds? :ugeek:

-snap-bass
-rez-bass
-slow-rise lead
-fast lead
-vibrato lead
-sync lead
-rez lead
-wah bass

That's all I can think of :lol:

Hope it doesn't look exactly like the phatty though; those bent rear panels reek of dated post-modern.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 pm

The Source has 16.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:The Source has 16.
oh, huh... that's a 200% increase in patch space! Now you can have "rez bass 2", and a patch called "funny" 8-)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm

You forgot

-Taurus bass 1
-Taurus bass 2 (sligthly longer envelopes) ;)

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 am

Hybrid88 wrote: And 16 patches seems fine given this seems targeted towards being a bass synth (having a short kbd and sub OSC).

i REALLY wish that Moog (and the rest of you lot) would do away with technologically determinist titles for their synth. that last Minitaur really let me down when i heard (and correct me if i'm wrong but) that as a 'bass synth' it didnt even trigger the upper octaves? what fun is a synthesizer, the instrument thats able to synthesize any sound imaginable, when you clip its wings and reduce it's range? i thought thats why we left the whole bass/alto/tenor/soprano range-per-instrument bullshit in the dust for full range oscs? i mean i can understand 'string synth' thats at least trying to model something physically, timbrally, objectively. but whats with this range sensitive, determinist synth s**t?

no surprise, some of the best synths are well rounded bass and lead machines. at least like the odyssey's name i implores you to explore. not demanding of you with BASS SYNTH on the front and octave blocking you.....

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 am

c-level wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: And 16 patches seems fine given this seems targeted towards being a bass synth (having a short kbd and sub OSC).

i REALLY wish that Moog (and the rest of you lot) would do away with technologically determinist titles for their synth. that last Minitaur really let me down when i heard (and correct me if i'm wrong but) that as a 'bass synth' it didnt even trigger the upper octaves? what fun is a synthesizer, the instrument thats able to synthesize any sound imaginable, when you clip its wings and reduce it's range? i thought thats why we left the whole bass/alto/tenor/soprano range-per-instrument bullshit in the dust for full range oscs? i mean i can understand 'string synth' thats at least trying to model something physically, timbrally, objectively. but whats with this range sensitive, determinist synth s**t?

no surprise, some of the best synths are well rounded bass and lead machines. at least like the odyssey's name i implores you to explore. not demanding of you with BASS SYNTH on the front and octave blocking you.....
I'm not an expert, but I understand that the limited oscillator range of the Taurus synthesizers has something to do with the details in the oscillator circuitry. As far as I understand, the awesome Taurus bass sound would not be possible with full range oscillators. So there's the trade-off there. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 am

Yes that's correct.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:04 am

c-level wrote:

Moog's not calling this a "bass synth" and it does the usual 16-2' range, so there's no limitations there.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 am

there it is, on Moog's page. Official announcement tomorrow at 11 am EST. A tiny little phatty.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 am

mmm tasty, it's got me interested, here's hoping it doesn't push a grand ;)

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 am

Hybrid88 wrote:mmm tasty, it's got me interested, here's hoping it doesn't push a grand ;)
Who knows. If chopping off the keyboard took the slim phatty down about $550 anything is possible...

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 am

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 pm

volumetrik wrote:new pics up at http://www.jrrshop.com/moogsubphatty
As others have mentioned, I'm also not a fan of the shape. I don't get it. I actually think it would far more novel and practical to have it fold down like the MM. That would make buying a case for it sooo much easier.
bonne chance

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

pricing's been announced at $999,
seems about right to me..

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Wow, looking good.

Looks like they filled in some holes in the phatty sound engine (noise and such). Can't wait to give on a test drive.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty