New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kpliver

Re: New Moog

Post by kpliver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:06 pm

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:12 pm

I think I haven't seen this pic in the thread so far:

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

GASsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/news/introducing-sub-phatty

MSRP: $1099 USD

Availability: Shipping March 2013

MOOG SUB PHATTY SYNTHESIZER SETS
NEW STANDARD FOR ANALOG SOUND DESIGN
Moog Music is proud to introduce the SUB PHATTY analog synthesizer, a 25 full-size key, 31 knob production instrument that melds the soul and functionality of vintage analog synthesizers with new and unique sound design tools. Building on the tradition of Moog’s highly successful Phatty family, the Sub Phatty grinds and screams with a uniquely aggressive voice — making it the new standard for synth bass, analog percussion, and a wide range of sound design applications. The Sub Phatty, "is the grittiest Moog Synth ever" said Mike Adams, Moog Music CEO & President.

FIND OUT MORE HERE.

In honor of the Sub Phatty’s release, experimental multi-genre music producer, Flying Lotus, and Adult Swim veteran, Adam Fuchs collaborated on a psychedelic short animation called Moog Sub Phatty: New Machine For Living. Flying Lotus’s original score was made primarily with the Sub Phatty synthesizer and dynamically shows off its bold sound.

------------------------
The engineers at Moog Music have reimagined the Sub Phatty’s sound engine. The instrument features two variable waveshape oscillators that perform with extreme clarity and accuracy while requiring almost no warm-up time. Users can simply power up, dial in settings, and put their fingers to work on the keys to summon crisp and detailed waveforms with vibrant sound that brims with high-frequency harmonic content, yet stays true to the rich sonic density that has become synonymous with Moog synthesizers.

“We set out to design the grittiest Moog synth ever, one that still offers all of the great sound and flexibility that Moog synthesizers are known for, but that also really has teeth,” said Mike Adams, President of Moog Music. “One of the great advantages of the Sub Phatty is its ability to conjure aggressive sounds that cut through a dance mix, stand out on-stage, or burn up the studio. We think that everyone from producers and sound designers to DJs and synthesists will have a blast using it.”

The Sub Phatty’s filter includes the transformative new Multidrive circuit, a unique combination of OTA distortion and FET drive, which serves as the sparkplug in the instrument’s powerful sound. At low settings, Multidrive adds warmth and width; when pushed, it delivers a screaming snarl that is highly reactive to resonance, waveshape, and oscillator level.
---------------------------
--------------------------
Users can access a total of 16 definable presets via the 4x4 preset matrix on the Sub Phatty’s front panel. This matrix also doubles as a control panel for the instrument’s subcutaneous nerve center — users can select filter poles, set pitch bend amounts, toggle between legato glide modes, and more. These functions can also be accessed via the included Sub Phatty standalone/plugin editor.

The configuration of the Sub Phatty’s mixer section allows users to easily determine, at any given moment, which sources overdrive the filter and which simply pass through it. The mixer section further hosts controls for a square wave sub oscillator; those operating the Sub Phatty can utilize this tool as a third oscillator for added depth, or to craft their own customized incarnations of monstrous Moog bass. Also in the mixer section is a noise generator voiced to deliver rich, punchy low-frequency content, designed for analog percussion and sound effects.

In honor of the Sub Phatty’s release experimental multi-genre music producer, Flying Lotus, and Adult Swim veteran, Adam Fuchs collaborated on a psychedelic short animation called Moog Sub Phatty: New Machine For Living. Flying Lotus’s original score was made primarily with the Sub Phatty synthesizer and dynamically shows off its bold sound.

========================
========================
· Sound Engine: Analog

· Number of Keys: 25

· Type of Keys: Semi-Weighted

· Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel

· Polyphony: Monophonic

· Sound Sources: 2 Variable Waveshape Oscillators, 1 Square Wave Sub Oscillator, 1 Noise Generator

· Oscillator Calibration Range: 22Hz-6.8KHz.Guaranteed note range at 8’ of Note 18 to 116

· Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope

· Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape

· Filter: Moog Ladder Filter 20Hz-20Khz

· Audio Input: 1xTS

· Audio Output: 1xTS, 1xTRS Headphone

· Presets: 4 Banks, 4 Patches Per Bank

· MIDI I/O: DIN In, Out, and MIDI over USB

· CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate

· Transposition: +/- 2 Octaves

· LFO: 0.1Hz-100Hz

UNDER THE HOOD FEATURES:

· Filter Velocity Sensitivity

· Volume Velocity Sensitivity

· Ext. Audio Level

· Osc2 Beat Frequency

· VCO Gate Reset

· LFO Gate Reset

· Pitch Bend Up Amount

· Pitch Bend Down Amount

· Glide Legato

· Glide Type

· Filter Poles

· Wave Mod. Destination

· LFO KB Tracking

· LFO Range

· Filter EG Reset

· Amp EG Reset

· Legato

· Gate On/Ext.

· MIDI Ch. In

· MIDI Ch. Out

· Local Control

· 14-Bit MIDI Output

· MIDI Path In

· MIDI Path Out

· MIDI Merge DIN

· MIDI Merge USB
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

kpliver wrote:
I DON'T BELIEVE IT. AN OFFICIAL PRODUCT DEMO THAT DOESN'T SOUND f**k AWF-

Oh it's not official.

Anyway looking good.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

So, you are still going to need a midi knob job controller to get at it.

Big, Big, Big!!!!!! For some folks:
VCO Gate Reset

Seems more like a Bull Phatty. Someone wasn't looking after them and the LP and taurus got it on together and popped out a kid.
Last edited by Sir Nose on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm

My only gripe-- why couldn't they make the width of the mod wheel panel thinner, as in less width? Maybe fit some extra keys? Other then that, it sounds pretty damn good. I'm impressed.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Do want!

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Judging by this and my recollection of the Voyager and LP, the Sub Phatty does sound different from the other modern Moogs. More "bite" if you will.

Full soundcloud set here.

- CM

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm

griffin avid wrote:http://www.moogmusic.com/news/introducing-sub-phatty

MSRP: $1099 USD

Availability: Shipping March 2013

MOOG SUB PHATTY SYNTHESIZER SETS
NEW STANDARD FOR ANALOG SOUND DESIGN
Moog Music is proud to introduce the SUB PHATTY analog synthesizer, a 25 full-size key, 31 knob production instrument that melds the soul and functionality of vintage analog synthesizers with new and unique sound design tools. Building on the tradition of Moog’s highly successful Phatty family, the Sub Phatty grinds and screams with a uniquely aggressive voice — making it the new standard for synth bass, analog percussion, and a wide range of sound design applications. The Sub Phatty, "is the grittiest Moog Synth ever" said Mike Adams, Moog Music CEO & President.

FIND OUT MORE HERE.

In honor of the Sub Phatty’s release, experimental multi-genre music producer, Flying Lotus, and Adult Swim veteran, Adam Fuchs collaborated on a psychedelic short animation called Moog Sub Phatty: New Machine For Living. Flying Lotus’s original score was made primarily with the Sub Phatty synthesizer and dynamically shows off its bold sound.

------------------------
The engineers at Moog Music have reimagined the Sub Phatty’s sound engine. The instrument features two variable waveshape oscillators that perform with extreme clarity and accuracy while requiring almost no warm-up time. Users can simply power up, dial in settings, and put their fingers to work on the keys to summon crisp and detailed waveforms with vibrant sound that brims with high-frequency harmonic content, yet stays true to the rich sonic density that has become synonymous with Moog synthesizers.

“We set out to design the grittiest Moog synth ever, one that still offers all of the great sound and flexibility that Moog synthesizers are known for, but that also really has teeth,” said Mike Adams, President of Moog Music. “One of the great advantages of the Sub Phatty is its ability to conjure aggressive sounds that cut through a dance mix, stand out on-stage, or burn up the studio. We think that everyone from producers and sound designers to DJs and synthesists will have a blast using it.”

The Sub Phatty’s filter includes the transformative new Multidrive circuit, a unique combination of OTA distortion and FET drive, which serves as the sparkplug in the instrument’s powerful sound. At low settings, Multidrive adds warmth and width; when pushed, it delivers a screaming snarl that is highly reactive to resonance, waveshape, and oscillator level.
---------------------------
--------------------------
Users can access a total of 16 definable presets via the 4x4 preset matrix on the Sub Phatty’s front panel. This matrix also doubles as a control panel for the instrument’s subcutaneous nerve center — users can select filter poles, set pitch bend amounts, toggle between legato glide modes, and more. These functions can also be accessed via the included Sub Phatty standalone/plugin editor.

The configuration of the Sub Phatty’s mixer section allows users to easily determine, at any given moment, which sources overdrive the filter and which simply pass through it. The mixer section further hosts controls for a square wave sub oscillator; those operating the Sub Phatty can utilize this tool as a third oscillator for added depth, or to craft their own customized incarnations of monstrous Moog bass. Also in the mixer section is a noise generator voiced to deliver rich, punchy low-frequency content, designed for analog percussion and sound effects.

In honor of the Sub Phatty’s release experimental multi-genre music producer, Flying Lotus, and Adult Swim veteran, Adam Fuchs collaborated on a psychedelic short animation called Moog Sub Phatty: New Machine For Living. Flying Lotus’s original score was made primarily with the Sub Phatty synthesizer and dynamically shows off its bold sound.

========================
========================
· Sound Engine: Analog

· Number of Keys: 25

· Type of Keys: Semi-Weighted

· Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel

· Polyphony: Monophonic

· Sound Sources: 2 Variable Waveshape Oscillators, 1 Square Wave Sub Oscillator, 1 Noise Generator

· Oscillator Calibration Range: 22Hz-6.8KHz.Guaranteed note range at 8’ of Note 18 to 116

· Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope

· Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape

· Filter: Moog Ladder Filter 20Hz-20Khz

· Audio Input: 1xTS

· Audio Output: 1xTS, 1xTRS Headphone

· Presets: 4 Banks, 4 Patches Per Bank

· MIDI I/O: DIN In, Out, and MIDI over USB

· CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate

· Transposition: +/- 2 Octaves

· LFO: 0.1Hz-100Hz

UNDER THE HOOD FEATURES:

· Filter Velocity Sensitivity

· Volume Velocity Sensitivity

· Ext. Audio Level

· Osc2 Beat Frequency

· VCO Gate Reset

· LFO Gate Reset

· Pitch Bend Up Amount

· Pitch Bend Down Amount

· Glide Legato

· Glide Type

· Filter Poles

· Wave Mod. Destination

· LFO KB Tracking

· LFO Range

· Filter EG Reset

· Amp EG Reset

· Legato

· Gate On/Ext.

· MIDI Ch. In

· MIDI Ch. Out

· Local Control

· 14-Bit MIDI Output

· MIDI Path In

· MIDI Path Out

· MIDI Merge DIN

· MIDI Merge USB
Thanks for saving me that one mouse click?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Sir Nose wrote:So, you are still going to need a midi knob job controller to get at it.

Big, Big, Big!!!!!! For some folks:
VCO Gate Reset

Seems more like a Bull Phatty. Someone wasn't looking after them and the LP and taurus got it on together and popped out a kid.
yeah, this osc. reset is interesting. But I guess that makes sense that it is derived from the Taurus, maybe?

I'd really like to hear an A/B of the phatty and the sub-phatty. I'm really curious how the oscillators will differ, if at all. I've heard people complain about the lack of high-end on the old one, and the moog ad is describing "high harmonic content" or whatever. So that seems to imply that they have at least tweaked the original design.
Do you even post on vse bro?

polardark

Post by polardark » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm not too sexually agitated by those "under the hood features". It just sounds like "we couldn't be arsed to make front panel controls for this stuff". Clearly a step down from the Little Phatty (when a step up was badly needed to begin with).

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 pm

gotta say the two octave KB is an octave too small IMHO.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm

jeffrey1121 wrote:gotta say the two octave KB is an octave too small IMHO.
Agreed. Everything else seems awesome, and the KBD is gonna be the one thing that stops me in my tracks. Had it been at least 3 octaves, I would have pre ordered one.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for saving me that one mouse click?

Actually it's from 3 pages and an email I received. The little ------- breaks show different sources of information.
Some people (like me) hate leaving a site to read something and coming back so I just quoted it all in one long post.

Add my general excitement at actually getting a final answer to all the swirling questions/speculation...etc.....

But anyways...no synth is perfect so....I can live with the smaller keyboard....
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com