New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: New Moog

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Poor Moog. They build these things by hand in a small facility and yet they're still compared to companies that make millions more a year. Korg makes a throwback, and everyone gushes. Moog makes a throwback and it's somehow never up to par. Just say you can't afford it and be done with it.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm

You can't please everyone, and that's just fine. You want a new knobby Phatty, here's your chance. Don't care? Also, just fine. I'll wait to play one, and decide after I've had my hands on one, but I think it looks cool as s**t.
Bassist, synth junkie

samaepstein
Gear: Realistic mg1
Juno 106
Modded monotribe
Dr110
Tr505
Foogers
Rhodes
Wurlitzer
Hammond
Band: Peekaboo Streetsweeper

Post by samaepstein » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:52 pm

I think the new moog looks amazing. If I weren't stuck on impossible Craigslist bargain hunting I would snap one up. Got to say I always thought the swoops back of the phatty's were ugly as gall get out.

Sam

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

I think it is a great design and has all of the available parameters mapped out in front of you as a real subtractive synth should have however, I would NEVER buy a synth with a 2 octave keyboard, I would end up throwing it out of my window in frustration :/ is it really too much to ask for that extra 1/2 octave? The keyboard was a bad shout IMO.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Totally agree about the tiny keyboard. When the panel surrounding the Pitch and Mod wheels is nearly as wide as the keyboard, what the h**l is the point? This thing would be so much more playable and aesthetically pleasing with even another half octave, like the Prodigy. Obviously you can control it from a larger board, but then I'd prefer to just have a desktop module.

I still really want to like this thing because it sounds great, but I just don't think I could get used to using the octave switches in the middle of a bassline.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Thanks for saving me that one mouse click?
Full quoting massive post to say one sentence. Classy.

bochelli wrote:A Memorymoog is awesome , nothing here i see that has not been done before nothing standout from the rest, you sound like someone easily taken in with new gizzmos.
Looks like plenty of space to me and if they were too far apart it would be harder to manipulate more than one at once.
lotus-eater wrote:When the panel surrounding the Pitch and Mod wheels is nearly as wide as the keyboard, what the h**l is the point?
Just a smidge of hyperbole there, that panel isn't more than 2/3 an octave. Can't confirm without seeing it right next to a regular LP, but I bet the mod panel is probably the same size as the one used for the LP. Same parts across multiple synths would mean they could make them in higher volume and thus, less expensive.

Call me crazy, but I think if the worst complaint people can lodge against the new synth is the number of keys on it, then maybe Moog has done a pretty good job.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 am

lotus-eater wrote:Totally agree about the tiny keyboard. When the panel surrounding the Pitch and Mod wheels is nearly as wide as the keyboard, what the h**l is the point? This thing would be so much more playable and aesthetically pleasing with even another half octave, like the Prodigy. Obviously you can control it from a larger board, but then I'd prefer to just have a desktop module.

I still really want to like this thing because it sounds great, but I just don't think I could get used to using the octave switches in the middle of a bassline.
Your basslines sprawl across more than two octaves, you sure they're still basslines?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 am

tekkentool wrote:
lotus-eater wrote:Totally agree about the tiny keyboard. When the panel surrounding the Pitch and Mod wheels is nearly as wide as the keyboard, what the h**l is the point? This thing would be so much more playable and aesthetically pleasing with even another half octave, like the Prodigy. Obviously you can control it from a larger board, but then I'd prefer to just have a desktop module.

Your basslines sprawl across more than two octaves, you sure they're still basslines?
There's only two octaves if you're playing in C, any other key you've got one octave and need to use the transpose buttons to get two. :thumbright:

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Lots of hate for a new analog synth from a renowned manufacturer that nobody has even seen in person, much less, played.

You're right. It probably sucks.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Quite surprised it doesn't have cv and gate out. Would have thought it would have been a great way to expand its appeal.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

It does have CV/Gate. On the side, like on the LP.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:It does have CV/Gate. On the side, like on the LP.
Thoser are CV/Gate inputs only, like on a stock LP. There is a CV-output mod for the LP, maybe they'll make that available for the SubP as well.

Judging from the demos, I have to admit that I rather like the sound, when it's not destroyed by excessive multidrive. If it had a three octave keyboard, I'd probably be pre-ordering this. Now, I'll just wait for my local dealer to get one in. It would've been nicer looking too, if the Pitch-mod-wheel panel would of a slimmer design and that would allow more keys. Naturally, I understand that it'll keep their costs down by using the same component from the LP.

As a side note, holy f**k this NAMM is crazy good for analogue wankers like me.

- CM

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm

It makes me smile... A lot complain it is unplayable due to the size of keyboard and then others want CV and Gate out to obviously play something else!!

I don't mind the keyboard size, my MiniBrute is fine.
You always want just one more Synth!

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Keyboard size is a non issue honestly. I will probably own one at some point. Whther or not it sticks around is another issue altogther.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Carey M wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:It does have CV/Gate. On the side, like on the LP.
Thoser are CV/Gate inputs only, like on a stock LP. There is a CV-output mod for the LP, maybe they'll make that available for the SubP as well.
Well again that's what I wondered. But I would have thought they would have just done it from the off. Seems like a missed opportunity, to me.