New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Moog

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Yep - inputs. My mistake. Sorry!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

jeffrey1121 wrote:gotta say the two octave KB is an octave too small IMHO.

Yeah, why did manufacturers abandon the great two-and-a-HALF octave monosynth keyboards of the past!?!

Well, at least there is the DSI MoPho!

;)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Synthacon wrote:It makes me smile... A lot complain it is unplayable due to the size of keyboard and then others want CV and Gate out to obviously play something else!!

I don't mind the keyboard size, my MiniBrute is fine.

I would just have a lot of fun chaining CVs together between several synths and seeing what happened. As it stands, the Sub-Phatty and Minitaur can both be controlled, but can't pass along on the chain. I'm fine w/the size of the keyboard, but I'm also not trained on piano or anything :)
Last edited by SSquirrel on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haj

Post by haj » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm

only it had a wider keyboard!!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm

ronP wrote:
jeffrey1121 wrote:gotta say the two octave KB is an octave too small IMHO.

Yeah, why did manufacturers abandon the great two-and-a-HALF octave monosynth keyboards of the past!?!

Well, at least there is the DSI MoPho!

;)

To me, the additional half an octave on the Mopho Kbd makes all the difference to simple 2 octaves... That's where it starts to be "sufficient keys" IMO (I'd include "E" though if I could choose to, since I enjoy E minor a lot)... YMMV...

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, I agree about the keyboard being sort of pointless. Too small for any serious playing and the pitch /mod wheels take up so much space that there could have been an additional half an octave included.

If you're going to be playing it using another MIDI keyboard then the keyboard is simply in the way for reaching the controls. I don't have terribly good experiences with placing my Voyager RME behind a MIDI keyboard (like the CME UF50 I have) and trying to reach the controls conveniently that way (I've always placed the RME to the left of me instead).

I don't quite get designs like these, to be honest. Maybe it could be useful for gigs, but then I'd just favour a VA if it's all about convenience. I don't doubt it sounds nice, but so do many other synths.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 pm

is there aftertouch?

seen no mention of it.

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 am

NAMM preview

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 am

Yay, Amos!

Always good to see him online. :D
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Yay, Amos!

Always good to see him online. :D
His excitement is infectious :D

Some nice and unexpected features under the hood. And a proper LFO, nice! And the different multidrive characteristics sound promising. I likes!

But why god why that two octave keyboard? :cry:

:mrgreen:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 am

Wow, that demo of Amos' made me want a moog more than I ever have before. Sounds really nice.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
lotus-eater wrote:Totally agree about the tiny keyboard. When the panel surrounding the Pitch and Mod wheels is nearly as wide as the keyboard, what the h**l is the point? This thing would be so much more playable and aesthetically pleasing with even another half octave, like the Prodigy. Obviously you can control it from a larger board, but then I'd prefer to just have a desktop module.

I still really want to like this thing because it sounds great, but I just don't think I could get used to using the octave switches in the middle of a bassline.
Your basslines sprawl across more than two octaves, you sure they're still basslines?
There's only two octaves if you're playing in C, any other key you've got one octave and need to use the transpose buttons to get two. :thumbright:
I am hoping the fine tune knob has at least an octave range. Not ideal but without the extra 1/2 octave I will adjust the key with it.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 am

ronP wrote:Yeah, why did manufacturers abandon the great two-and-a-HALF octave monosynth keyboards of the past!?!
:o I think you have have just uncovered a conspiracy! Synth manufacturers are slowly forcing us to accept smaller and smaller keyboards. Within ten years, I predict all synths will have a single key. If you want to play anything other than C4, you will need to use a transpose dial/octave select switch. Five years after that, the dial/switch will be removed, and all music will be one monotonous drone! :shock:

:lol:
You can't synthesize love

FX23

Post by FX23 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 am

Sounds like the little phatty

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 pm

I do question if these filter options were not around at the launch of the LP, why not put them on back then, that keyboard looks too short , it will be interesting to see the next new product should be in the line of this new one but with slight changes, the only moog synth i know to try to look years ahead was the Source way back in the 80s , but back then they too made a mistake keeping wood sides, thats what makes the JP8 even today looking modern . As to a moog new polysynth cant see that coming, i think they will keep to this easy line.
yamoto773