New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: New Moog

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:00 am

Cumulus wrote:Seriously, what I'd like to see is a Moog analog drum machine.
Why? What do you think Moog could bring to the drum machine world that isn't available already? Moog's bread and butter is monosynths with ladder LPFs, they've basically just been making slightly different versions of the same synth for the past forty years. Pretty much everything else they've done (Moogerfoogers excepted) has been a bit of a dud. (Pianobar anyone?)

I'm fairly happy with Moog just making really good sounding monosynths and leaving the drum machines, polysynths, samplers, etc to Elektron and others like that. Pretty much all I think Moog could offer in those areas would be a really nicely designed case with some vanilla sounding stuff inside. Not really interested in a Moog LPF 3 VCO/voice polysynth, imagine the amount of mud you could pump out in the low end with that! 24 unstable oscillators beating against each other with the definition in the top end taken out by the filter, creating a huge mess of low mids that you'd just EQ out as soon as you'd finished tracking. I prefer my polysynths clean and precise and preferably with a HPF somewhere in the chain to clean up the bottom end slightly.

Anyway, I think this synth is cool! It sounds good, it seems like it will look pretty good (compact, lots of knobs, hope they just do a gently sloped panel and no weird shapes like the LP, although the cutout on the bottom right of the PCB in the video has me wondering) and it will probably get a whole bunch of people into tweaking knobs and programming their own sounds instead of just playing presets. It's not something that I'm interested in buying because I have a modular to be my monosynth, but just because I'm not going to buy it it doesn't mean I'm gonna rag on it or demand Moog make a polysynth or anything.

PS I've heard Moog were experimenting with FPGAs and FPAAs a while back, that would have been useful for making a polysynth but I don't know if they had any success with it at all.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm

When i see a finished image perhaps then it can be decided if its indeed new, i just hope Moog are not going down the road as Apple and releasing something shortly after which can do a little more or a limited edition in blue or red, because if thats the road they take its bye bye Moog and thanks but i will stick to my many Moog analogues.
yamoto773

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

"Li'l Phatty Old School"

I like Don T's guess. The OS Voyager looked just like the regular Voyager and this 'unfinished unit' looks just like the Lil Phatty. Seeing that it was exactly the same size (by my estimations) and he basically tinkered with one sound, I'd say no patch storage and mostly it's about the hands on programming and FILTERS.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Not really interested in a Moog LPF 3 VCO/voice polysynth, imagine the amount of mud you could pump out in the low end with that! 24 unstable oscillators beating against each other with the definition in the top end taken out by the filter, creating a huge mess of low mids that you'd just EQ out as soon as you'd finished tracking. I prefer my polysynths clean and precise and preferably with a HPF somewhere in the chain to clean up the bottom end slightly.
:lol:

I'd still like to see one. I think there would be more to it than just mud but your comment made me laugh heartily.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Just a hint, VCO's are abit more stable today than they were in 1983.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 am

griffin avid wrote: "Li'l Phatty Old School"

I like Don T's guess. The OS Voyager looked just like the regular Voyager and this 'unfinished unit' looks just like the Lil Phatty. Seeing that it was exactly the same size (by my estimations) and he basically tinkered with one sound, I'd say no patch storage and mostly it's about the hands on programming and FILTERS.
It's called Sub Phatty.
Bitexion wrote:Just a hint, VCO's are abit more stable today than they were in 1983.
I'm aware of that, I have four vcos in my modular system. ;) That doesn't mean they're all going to stay in phase on a polysynth. The drifting is the reason you want vcos on a synth.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm fairly happy with Moog just making really good sounding monosynths and leaving the drum machines, polysynths, samplers, etc to Elektron and others like that. Pretty much all I think Moog could offer in those areas would be a really nicely designed case with some vanilla sounding stuff inside. Not really interested in a Moog LPF 3 VCO/voice polysynth, imagine the amount of mud you could pump out in the low end with that! 24 unstable oscillators beating against each other with the definition in the top end taken out by the filter, creating a huge mess of low mids that you'd just EQ out as soon as you'd finished tracking. I prefer my polysynths clean and precise and preferably with a HPF somewhere in the chain to clean up the bottom end slightly.
I'd like to politely disagree with you, sir. I have heard what can be done with a Phatty poly-chain set up, and it sounds fantastic. Little mud to speak of. I'd like to see it all happen in one machine.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 am

That's why they're preferences, different people like different things. :thumbright:

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:03 am

Just a thought but I think an analog drum machine with that nice Moog filter would kick a*s.

It could also serve as a sequencer.

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: It's called Sub Phatty.
soooo............less than phatty? :lol:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:45 am

jeffrey1121 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: It's called Sub Phatty.
soooo............less than phatty? :lol:
Lower price, fewer keys, sub oscillator.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: soooo............less than phatty? :lol:
Lower price, fewer keys, sub oscillator.[/quote]
And noise source!
I'm assuming this will be preset-free.

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 am

hahah. i was uhhhh joking mostly on the play on words....and their.....definitions to grammar people like--nevermind. i feel silly now.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 am

Don T wrote:I said somewhere in another thread that I was wanting something like a "Li'l Phatty Old School"
I too, would love to get my hands on a Lil' POS. :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am

Wanted to post that Muff ripoff joke too ;)