New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: New Moog

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Don T wrote:I said somewhere in another thread that I was wanting something like a "Li'l Phatty Old School"
I too, would love to get my hands on a Lil' POS. :lol:
haha :lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Moog should get past the "let's rehash an old model with no menus and call it OLD SCHOOL!" or another moogerfooger and start innovating again. Guess there's not that much you CAN innovate on when everything has been done to death for the past 40 years.

Moog pretty much invented voltage controlled synthesizers back in the 60s. They decided what should be the standard waveforms. And everyone else followed.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Bitexion wrote:Moog should get past the "let's rehash an old model with no menus and call it OLD SCHOOL!" or another moogerfooger and start innovating again. Guess there's not that much you CAN innovate on when everything has been done to death for the past 40 years.

Moog pretty much invented voltage controlled synthesizers back in the 60s. They decided what should be the standard waveforms. And everyone else followed.
It doesn't really feel to me like they are rehashes and besides that f**k awesome of them to put out analogs that you can buy brand new without having to worry what you're going to get on eBay. All the stuff they have been putting out is good and it seems to be getting better with the Minitaur and now this awesome sub phatty synth. Go Moog!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Inventing? Moog have been! Moog guitar and all the crazy pickup stuff coming up.
I'd hate to be moog to be honest. Stuck between a rock and a hard place for sure.
They do a re-hash and people moan it's not new. They do something new and people moan that the ladder filter is not up to model d standards and such and such is not as good as the model d.

Embrace the variety and change and enjoy the vintage all in one. One company does not have to cover all the ground.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Interesting enough. I'd really like to see Moog make this kind of a budget piece ($400-$500 US) since everything else has been a bit on the stupidly expensive side with the exception of the Minitaur.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:hope they just do a gently sloped panel and no weird shapes like the LP, although the cutout on the bottom right of the PCB in the video has me wondering
Have been wondering about what they are gonna stick it in (?) and I agree; a nice sloped non weird panel for sure.

How many days 'til it is revealed?

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Looks cool going by that - lets just hope it's not too spendy :)

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I like that brushed aluminum pannel, don't like the name maybe mini phatty, old phatty, phatt bastard, big phatty...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Interesting enough. I'd really like to see Moog make this kind of a budget piece ($400-$500 US) since everything else has been a bit on the stupidly expensive side with the exception of the Minitaur.
Don't get your hopes up. The Minitaur is $600 and has no sub osc, noise generator, kb, wheels, etc. Stab Frenzy already mentioned this will cost around a grand.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 pm

they could sell twice as many calling it the dub-phatty. personally i think ill shark a cheap little phatty with patch memory while everyones clamoring to sell theirs to get this...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Waiting for a $400 Moog synth is as silly as waiting for a $4000 Lamborghini..it'll never happen.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Bitexion wrote:Waiting for a $400 Moog synth is as silly as waiting for a $4000 Lamborghini..it'll never happen.
Well, anything is possible and I'm constantly surprised by some of the unexpected stuff in the synth world. For instance, I never thought Korg could put out a $50 analogue synthesizer, but they did.

The Minitaur is selling for $495 in town and AKAI released a CV controller keyboard. There's a rumour that Korg are reissuing the MS 20 to modern standards with analogue attributes.

I guess what I'm saying is - you never ever know what the future can hold.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm

So with exactly the same number of keys as a minibrute - isn't this just a knee j**k response to that "product"?

And if so - what is the point? Market share?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

I have a feeling it won't be long before my LP stage is up for sale and I am waving my cash for one of theses. It's looking more like the phatty engine which I like and know well.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty