New Moog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Re: New Moog

Post by vicd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

Don T wrote:
themilford wrote:
Don T wrote:Could you imagine Porsche putting a 911 badge on a car that didn't have a rear-mounted, flat 6 engine?
VW did it. They still seem to be calling it the Beetle.
WHAT? :shocked:
People driving a VW Touareg mistakenly believe they own a Cayenne.
People driving a Cayenne mistakenly believe they own a Porsche.
:mrgreen:

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 pm

But yeah as for synths what they are best known for is almost a curse, especially when it comes down to innovation and creating new ideas.

And...

if it says "Moog" on the front, it had better sound like a Moog, and there are limited things you can do that meet that requirement that don't already exist.

I think this also relates to a timing issue. As a super-popular and established, but still somewhat boutique company the span between releases raises high expectations. A lil phatty Old School synth is an obvious move and if it had come at the same time as the Voyager Old School, would have passed without trouble.

When their next big product feels like an update instead of evolution, well, I guess some are disappointed.

So, should we expect next year a Taurus in anew body with some new tricks?
Some kind of (truly) rack-able moogerfooger monstrosity?
I think there's still room to create something like a single voice tabletop with expansion possibilities....
Like a moogerfooger voice/VCO/mono-synth-
affordable with ONLY sound-generating controls.
Everything else could be added with additional modules.

The tech is already there AND it's a step towards a modular.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

They could catch everyone out and bring out a Memorymoog 2 but dont bank on it.
yamoto773

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

I think they should start making small kitchen appliances.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I just think the market for expensive analogue polysynths is probably a bit different now compared to the early 80s.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Cumulus wrote:I think they should start making small kitchen appliances.
...stranger things have happened :lol:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

tekkentool wrote:I just think the market for expensive analogue polysynths is probably a bit different now compared to the early 80s.
Yep - they're not the only game (tool) in town anymore.

Take that as you will; were they affordable for froggin' around with, I'd probably still own a bunch of the stuff I used to have. As it is, I don't need them for what I do now. Mind you, I'd like to have them, but the bottom line is it's just not cost-effective nor a true need.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm

volumetrik wrote:
jaypodesta wrote:So with exactly the same number of keys as a minibrute - isn't this just a knee j**k response to that "product"?

And if so - what is the point? Market share?
I don't think it has much to do with the MiniBrute, maybe they figured having that number of keys still interests people as evident with the response to the MiniBrute, either way personally I want this just as much as I wanted a MiniBrute when I first saw it, this is a quality product.

edit: thought this pic should be in here also :)

I have to say that thing is pretty sexy. Moog is still making the most stylish of synthesizers...this version is much more stylish than its predecessor.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Except this isn't a successor to the little phatty- it's an addition to the phatty line of synths not a replacement.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:58 am

I'm expecting moog to bring out a box of tissues next, to dry the tears of everyone who chucks a tantie whenever they bring out something new because its exactly the same as everything else they've ever done/doesn't sound as good as their old synths.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm expecting moog to bring out a box of tissues next, to dry the tears of everyone who chucks a tantie whenever they bring out something new because its exactly the same as everything else they've ever done/doesn't sound as good as their old synths.
Those tissues will never dry as well as the old Model D tissues did. The type of vintage pulp used to make them is just not available anymore with modern tissue manufacturing techniques. Therefore, they just aren't as good.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm excited to give this new machine a whirl. I know I can't be in the minority stating that I enjoy the new Moog stuff, sound and interface included. The Little Phatty is an excellent machine with a dead simple interface. Judging by what little I've seen of this new machine, it'll be heaps of fun. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:34 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm expecting moog to bring out a box of tissues next, to dry the tears of everyone who chucks a tantie whenever they bring out something new because its exactly the same as everything else they've ever done/doesn't sound as good as their old synths.
Those tissues will never dry as well as the old Model D tissues did. The type of vintage pulp used to make them is just not available anymore with modern tissue manufacturing techniques. Therefore, they just aren't as good.
But at least these tissues will stay on your nose instead of drifting like vintage tissues. I know it's part of the whole attraction to vintage tissues...that they drift when you blow on them and are unstable and imperfect...but sometimes when you blow you just need to keep the tissue from moving.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 am

hope this is not like a small run production and gets discontinued like Voyager OS

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 am

The Voyager OS was discontinued cause it wasn't selling. If this doesn't sell it will be discontinued as well, that's what companies do.