Casiotone Love?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Casiotone Love?

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:08 pm

A cheesy dance-pop tune I did entirely on Casiotones :lol:

Got bored and decided to do a Moby-style bangin' club anthem (think 'Next is the E') entirely on vintage Casio keyboards. The result is... interesting. I mostly used consumer Casiotones, but I did use a CZ-1 as well which is from Casio's professional line.

The following instruments were used:
Drums: MT-240, HT-700
Bassline: HT-700
Piano: MT-240
Main Lead (Melody): HT-6000
Second Lead (Melody): MT-240
Pad: CZ-1

The drums in the HT-700 cannot be sequenced via MIDI, so I had to sample them into a Roland SP-404SX. Everything was sequenced live in a Roland MV-8800 without any multi-tracking. The keys are recorded dry with the slight addition of delay, reverb, and some EQ.

Enjoy the cheese!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm

At the moment I have a CT-101 (which I presume predates the 201 Grumblepig mentions) and an MT-80. I had an SK-1 from new and even until recently used it quite a bit, sometimes for entire tracks; still does a lot of cool things. I've had an SK-8A along the way as well. If you search for that you'll see a picture of the very one as the guy who runs casiosk1.com bought it from me. Also had a PT-80 (nice drum and chord sounds) which was sadly retired in a rock and roll act of "creative" destruction.

The big old Casiotones are heavy beasts and they can sound great through some effects.

Edit - and goddamn it I've just remembered the VL-Tone I loaned to somebody for an "art installation" that was never returned!

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Enjoying that track StepLogik. You heard the Trackman Lafonte & BonQuiQui stuff by Legowelt and Xosar? I love to hear those sounds in a dance tune. Casio rave vibes.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

I've held onto a CT-310 for over 20 years. It was my first keyboard and despite the whole thing being made of plastic, it has held up really well. The tuning drifts like crazy and the drum section sounds like early Suicide (more like pops and noise hisses than actual drums) but like you said, that's part of the charm. I'll never let go of it.

One group I really like from France (Trisomie 21) use it in this song:

Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Post by Tiger Jackson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 pm

StepLogik wrote:A cheesy dance-pop tune I did entirely on Casiotones :lol:

Got bored and decided to do a Moby-style bangin' club anthem (think 'Next is the E') entirely on vintage Casio keyboards. The result is... interesting. I mostly used consumer Casiotones, but I did use a CZ-1 as well which is from Casio's professional line.

The following instruments were used:
Drums: MT-240, HT-700
Bassline: HT-700
Piano: MT-240
Main Lead (Melody): HT-6000
Second Lead (Melody): MT-240
Pad: CZ-1

The drums in the HT-700 cannot be sequenced via MIDI, so I had to sample them into a Roland SP-404SX. Everything was sequenced live in a Roland MV-8800 without any multi-tracking. The keys are recorded dry with the slight addition of delay, reverb, and some EQ.

Enjoy the cheese!
when that piano part came in, i immediatly thought streets of rage. :)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm

masstronaut wrote:Enjoying that track StepLogik. You heard the Trackman Lafonte & BonQuiQui stuff by Legowelt and Xosar? I love to hear those sounds in a dance tune. Casio rave vibes.
Glad you enjoyed it!

It is a lot of fun to hear "Casio rave vibes". I don't know if the sounds are nostalgic or they are really that interesting but I don't think it matters.

That Legowelt and Xosar tune was good. Definitely recognize those drum sounds.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Tiger Jackson wrote: when that piano part came in, i immediatly thought streets of rage. :)
Never played it, but I YouTube'd some of the music and I see exactly what you mean!

Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Post by Tiger Jackson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

StepLogik wrote:
Tiger Jackson wrote: when that piano part came in, i immediatly thought streets of rage. :)
Never played it, but I YouTube'd some of the music and I see exactly what you mean!
Yea, my favorite video game tracks of all time

goreycaster

Post by goreycaster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 pm

I have an MT45 (that I bought unused and boxed from a carbootsale for £4!) an MT68 (that I had given to me) and a CZ5000. I love them all. I will be using the CZ5000 as my main live synth soon, as long as I can get the RAM cartridge to work!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Legowelt is tha man, he could make badass songs with any synth :headbang:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 am

pflosi wrote:Legowelt is tha man, he could make badass songs with any synth :headbang:

He definitely gives the DJX (original) the love it deserves as well...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)