NAMM 2013 Headlines

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Monocelot
Gear: DSI Prophet 08 PE
Roland SH-2
Korg MS-20
DSI Tempest
Vermona DRM-1 MKIII
Moog Minimoog Model D
Shruthi-1
Moog MF-104z
Jomox XBase 999

Re: NAMM 2013 Headlines

Post by Monocelot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 pm

OK, so MOOG, Korg and Dave Smith are all announcing some interesting new knobby analog gear. Where's Roland?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 am

Monocelot wrote:OK, so MOOG, Korg and Dave Smith are all announcing some interesting new knobby analog gear. Where's Roland?
Making touring keyboards for generic R&B
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 am

Yamaha 125th anniversary and not a damn thing... Maybe they are holding out?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 am

wiss wrote:Image

The new music easel
Oh yeah, looking forward to getting my hands on one for a play around pretty soon! If I hadn't spent so much on Eurorack already I'd love one of these. I know there will be a lot of people here complaining about this being expensive, but it's the cheapest Buchla ever by a very very long shot.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
wiss wrote:Image

The new music easel
Oh yeah, looking forward to getting my hands on one for a play around pretty soon! If I hadn't spent so much on Eurorack already I'd love one of these. I know there will be a lot of people here complaining about this being expensive, but it's the cheapest Buchla ever by a very very long shot.
$3995
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:01 am

I know, I've known for a while. ;)

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 am

Last edited by Don T on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:19 am

Don T wrote:A friend send me a link to this video when I told him about the new Buchla. Now, somehow, I HAVE to scrape up enough $$ to get one! :beg:

Buchla Music Easel

I hope they make more than 14 units.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm

wiss wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
wiss wrote: The new music easel
$3995
That is steep gotta admit, but it is still intriguing - fun times! :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Monocelot wrote:OK, so MOOG, Korg and Dave Smith are all announcing some interesting new knobby analog gear. Where's Roland?
Left behind? ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Buchla will probably only make 20 units, and Trent Reznor will buy them all and smash them on stage.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

I fear no matter what Roland produces they have lost the ability to react and innovate in today's world. Their bean-counters wholly command the business, where profitable probables, margins and market share dominate creative risk. As stated earlier, Roland is busy with R&B boards...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Bitexion wrote:Buchla will probably only make 20 units, and Trent Reznor will buy them all and smash them on stage.
:mock:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm

bhrama wrote:
I fear no matter what Roland produces they have lost the ability to react and innovate in today's world. Their bean-counters wholly command the business, where profitable probables, margins and market share dominate creative risk. As stated earlier, Roland is busy with R&B boards...
Yeah, they are in the wedding crooners' and karaoke market.

The only reason we get upset about it is purely because of nostalgia. Roland made cool, interesting, and innovative instruments in the past and we would like to see that continue. It probably isn't going to. The people who designed those legendary instruments are probably either long gone or constrained by management building stuff for whatever market needs they perceive ("We need you engineer MIDI jacks on this piano bench", "We're ready to start design work on our next generation composite video mixer!!", etc). But, its OK, because others have stepped up to bat and we can all stop worrying about Roland.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm

StepLogik wrote:Yamaha 125th anniversary and not a damn thing... Maybe they are holding out?
Last thing analog related i can recall Yamaha doing was the AN1x back in 1998 and that was VA . One of the best sounding VA's ever made imho. I would be happy if they expanded on that, but a redux of the CS-30 would be even better :)
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.