How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
ryryoftokyo
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:19 am
Real name: Ryan
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 am

I don't agree with the idea that a lower bit depth makes anything sound more digital. Analog and lo-fi are pretty interchangeable to most people's ears. That's what I'm basing that statement off.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:I don't agree with the idea that a lower bit depth makes anything sound more digital.
You have an incorrect view of what analogue means.

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

lower bitrate = less digits = sounds less digital

.`. it sounds "more analogue"

:ugeek:

no but seriously wtf ry ry?

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 am

:lol:

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

tekkentool wrote:lower bitrate = less digits = sounds less digital

.`. it sounds "more analogue"

:ugeek:

no but seriously wtf ry ry?
:lol:

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Let's not mistake low resolution for low quality. 8 bit samples on the SK-1 from my Monotron DUO sound quite warm to my ears...I'm able to make nice warm string pads...it sounds digital because it is digital. It also sounds warm. Digital doesn't always mean cold. Low-res samples sound smoother in some ways, though they do tend also to have artifacts and aliasing. Just depends what you like.

As for the ESQ, it's a great synth. You can bicker about whether it sounds analog...it IS analog b/c it has voltage controlled filters and voltage controlled amps. It IS digital also because it uses digital samples for its waves.

Does it sound like analog classics? It can do a passable impression of some of them, but it's not just an impersonator. It's a flexible, if buggy, synth that can be found for peanuts and it can be very useful. Fills a great place in the history of mid-'80's hybrid synths. If you find one cheap, GET IT. You don't have a lot to lose.

You can do certain sounds you would only expect from a monosynth, but do them polyphonic (though there is also a mono mode).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 pm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Tiger Jackson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

The ONE & only thing i don't like is how the mono mode can't retrigger the envelope from playing the keys.

User avatar
ryryoftokyo
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:19 am
Real name: Ryan
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 am

[/quote]
You have an incorrect view of what analogue means.[/quote]
Let's argue about this. :roll:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

User avatar
Synthetech
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Synthetech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Walter Ego wrote:It's a flexible, if buggy, synth that can be found for peanuts and it can be very useful.

i've heard of it being buggy. Exactly what kind of bugs?


I know there's a few ESQ hacking infosites out there to change firmware, wavetables, etc..
Would a firmware change eliminate the bugs?

User avatar
dustinh
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 pm
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by dustinh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Although a lower bitrate doesn't sound "more analog" it does make it sound a little dirtier. It's also very easy to overdrive it by setting the osc levels to the max internally which adds to the dirt. I can't tell you how much I love this synth. I can get some very convincing analog sounds out of this machine as well as all kinds of other sounds you just can't do with a conventional analog synth. Ensoniq really outdid themselves when they released this machine. It's too bad they're not around anymore.

Also, the stacking mode is awesome, where you can play two patches at once. I'll make two of the same patch, make a few slight modifications on one patch with a different filter position, then play both together for a really huge sound. When you adjust the cutoff, it sounds like dual filters with both patches set at different filter points.

User avatar
cram1960
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: Cedarhurst, NY

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by cram1960 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I just love the original question "how analog does it sound?"

Not "does it sound good " or "can you point me to some signature sounds".

I think it sounds 43% analog, give or take 3%.

not really analog, but not really digital, kinda in between depending on how it's programmed.

Hope that helps!
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:46 pm

dustinh wrote:Although a lower bitrate doesn't sound "more analog" it does make it sound a little dirtier. It's also very easy to overdrive it by setting the osc levels to the max internally which adds to the dirt. I can't tell you how much I love this synth. I can get some very convincing analog sounds out of this machine as well as all kinds of other sounds you just can't do with a conventional analog synth. Ensoniq really outdid themselves when they released this machine. It's too bad they're not around anymore.

Also, the stacking mode is awesome, where you can play two patches at once. I'll make two of the same patch, make a few slight modifications on one patch with a different filter position, then play both together for a really huge sound. When you adjust the cutoff, it sounds like dual filters with both patches set at different filter points.
Ever played with a Casio CZ? You can do a similar thing--makes for some very fat bass coming out of a purely digital machine.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 am

I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 am

tekkentool wrote:I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...
I guess I feel the need to qualify statements like that on this forum--reason number one: to preempt other members chiming in with "don't you know that's an all digital synth?!" and reason number two: there tends to be a bias toward non-digital technology from members on this forum.

Of course they're capable of huge sounds...I'm definitely not a digital hater.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 am
Real name: Ms. Jackson
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer
Location: East.
Contact:

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by silikon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:49 am

Walter Ego wrote:
tekkentool wrote:I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...
I guess I feel the need to qualify statements like that on this forum--reason number one: to preempt other members chiming in with "don't you know that's an all digital synth?!" and reason number two: there tends to be a bias toward non-digital technology from members on this forum.

Of course they're capable of huge sounds...I'm definitely not a digital hater.
There are plenty of us who love digital synths, samplers, what-have-you. I'm not too stuck in the weeds about how the job gets done, so long as the job gets done.

All this talk of the ESQ-1 makes me want to go find a SQ-80 stat.

And a diversionary track for Sunday evening courtesy Rob Swire and Co.

echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Post Reply