How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: How analog does the ESQ-1 sound?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 am

I don't agree with the idea that a lower bit depth makes anything sound more digital. Analog and lo-fi are pretty interchangeable to most people's ears. That's what I'm basing that statement off.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:I don't agree with the idea that a lower bit depth makes anything sound more digital.
You have an incorrect view of what analogue means.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

lower bitrate = less digits = sounds less digital

.`. it sounds "more analogue"

:ugeek:

no but seriously wtf ry ry?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 am

:lol:

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

tekkentool wrote:lower bitrate = less digits = sounds less digital

.`. it sounds "more analogue"

:ugeek:

no but seriously wtf ry ry?
:lol:

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Let's not mistake low resolution for low quality. 8 bit samples on the SK-1 from my Monotron DUO sound quite warm to my ears...I'm able to make nice warm string pads...it sounds digital because it is digital. It also sounds warm. Digital doesn't always mean cold. Low-res samples sound smoother in some ways, though they do tend also to have artifacts and aliasing. Just depends what you like.

As for the ESQ, it's a great synth. You can bicker about whether it sounds analog...it IS analog b/c it has voltage controlled filters and voltage controlled amps. It IS digital also because it uses digital samples for its waves.

Does it sound like analog classics? It can do a passable impression of some of them, but it's not just an impersonator. It's a flexible, if buggy, synth that can be found for peanuts and it can be very useful. Fills a great place in the history of mid-'80's hybrid synths. If you find one cheap, GET IT. You don't have a lot to lose.

You can do certain sounds you would only expect from a monosynth, but do them polyphonic (though there is also a mono mode).
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Post by Tiger Jackson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

The ONE & only thing i don't like is how the mono mode can't retrigger the envelope from playing the keys.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 am

[/quote]
You have an incorrect view of what analogue means.[/quote]
Let's argue about this. :roll:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Walter Ego wrote:It's a flexible, if buggy, synth that can be found for peanuts and it can be very useful.

i've heard of it being buggy. Exactly what kind of bugs?

I know there's a few ESQ hacking infosites out there to change firmware, wavetables, etc..
Would a firmware change eliminate the bugs?

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Although a lower bitrate doesn't sound "more analog" it does make it sound a little dirtier. It's also very easy to overdrive it by setting the osc levels to the max internally which adds to the dirt. I can't tell you how much I love this synth. I can get some very convincing analog sounds out of this machine as well as all kinds of other sounds you just can't do with a conventional analog synth. Ensoniq really outdid themselves when they released this machine. It's too bad they're not around anymore.

Also, the stacking mode is awesome, where you can play two patches at once. I'll make two of the same patch, make a few slight modifications on one patch with a different filter position, then play both together for a really huge sound. When you adjust the cutoff, it sounds like dual filters with both patches set at different filter points.

cram1960

Post by cram1960 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I just love the original question "how analog does it sound?"

Not "does it sound good " or "can you point me to some signature sounds".

I think it sounds 43% analog, give or take 3%.

not really analog, but not really digital, kinda in between depending on how it's programmed.

Hope that helps!
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:46 pm

dustinh wrote:Although a lower bitrate doesn't sound "more analog" it does make it sound a little dirtier. It's also very easy to overdrive it by setting the osc levels to the max internally which adds to the dirt. I can't tell you how much I love this synth. I can get some very convincing analog sounds out of this machine as well as all kinds of other sounds you just can't do with a conventional analog synth. Ensoniq really outdid themselves when they released this machine. It's too bad they're not around anymore.

Also, the stacking mode is awesome, where you can play two patches at once. I'll make two of the same patch, make a few slight modifications on one patch with a different filter position, then play both together for a really huge sound. When you adjust the cutoff, it sounds like dual filters with both patches set at different filter points.
Ever played with a Casio CZ? You can do a similar thing--makes for some very fat bass coming out of a purely digital machine.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 am

I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 am

tekkentool wrote:I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...
I guess I feel the need to qualify statements like that on this forum--reason number one: to preempt other members chiming in with "don't you know that's an all digital synth?!" and reason number two: there tends to be a bias toward non-digital technology from members on this forum.

Of course they're capable of huge sounds...I'm definitely not a digital hater.
Walter Ego

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:49 am

Walter Ego wrote:
tekkentool wrote:I've actually always wondered why phrases like "for a purely digital machine" come from because digital synths are very capable of large sounds too...
I guess I feel the need to qualify statements like that on this forum--reason number one: to preempt other members chiming in with "don't you know that's an all digital synth?!" and reason number two: there tends to be a bias toward non-digital technology from members on this forum.

Of course they're capable of huge sounds...I'm definitely not a digital hater.
There are plenty of us who love digital synths, samplers, what-have-you. I'm not too stuck in the weeds about how the job gets done, so long as the job gets done.

All this talk of the ESQ-1 makes me want to go find a SQ-80 stat.

And a diversionary track for Sunday evening courtesy Rob Swire and Co.

echo 1 > /dev/awesome