DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm

But then it becomes wavetable synthesis, which is a whole different engine. I highly doubt they're going head to head with Waldorf's wavetable synths.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Bitexion wrote:But then it becomes wavetable synthesis, which is a whole different engine. I highly doubt they're going head to head with Waldorf's wavetable synths.
It already has wavetable synthesis. The demos clearly show smooth transitioning between wavetables. I'm not expecting 100 wavetables or whatever, but 4 (based on standard waves) would be pretty boring. Just the VS waves (which was what I was basically expecting given the PEK lineage) with smoother morphing would be ace.
Do you even post on vse bro?

lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Allthesound wrote:One thing i'm a little confused by is Carson Day in two seperate video's i have watched makes it a point to say that the sub osc is for osc 1 (30 secs in the video linked here), yet Dave says its 5 osc (including sub osc) per voice for a stacked unison of 60 osc's.
I think he means there are four regular oscillators, but the suboscillator (the 5th osc) tracks below oscillator one. So if you have your four main oscillators tuned to different frequencies, the subosc tuning will always be related to osc one (likely one or two octaves below). In other words, only oscillator one has a suboscillator.

So yeah, 5 oscs (4 + sub) x 12 voices gives you 60 simultaneous oscillators.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Aye, sub-oscillator doesn't really count as an oscillator on its own, it's just a square wave that follows the main oscillator by an exact octave.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 pm

lotus-eater wrote:
Allthesound wrote:One thing i'm a little confused by is Carson Day in two seperate video's i have watched makes it a point to say that the sub osc is for osc 1 (30 secs in the video linked here), yet Dave says its 5 osc (including sub osc) per voice for a stacked unison of 60 osc's.
I think he means there are four regular oscillators, but the suboscillator (the 5th osc) tracks below oscillator one. So if you have your four main oscillators tuned to different frequencies, the subosc tuning will always be related to osc one (likely one or two octaves below). In other words, only oscillator one has a suboscillator.

So yeah, 5 oscs (4 + sub) x 12 voices gives you 60 simultaneous oscillators.

Thanks for clearing that up that makes perfect sense. I'm not sure how i got confused by that what was i thinking? . Doh!
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 am

Sir Ruff wrote:I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
It's got four wavetables, not four waves. I don't know how many waves per table, but it could be 20 or more.

ravenmek

Post by ravenmek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
It's got four wavetables, not four waves. I don't know how many waves per table, but it could be 20 or more.
3 waves per wavetable!

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 am

so can someone explain to me about this Prophet 12 since its been all confusing

the Prophet 12 is based on the legendary Prophet VS (same technology) just more control/features and better sound, is that what it is?

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Post by burnsjed » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 am

In every video I have seen DS describes it as the best of the Prophet 08 and the best of the PEK with a bunch of new and additional features.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 am

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 am

-double posted-
Last edited by Bitexion on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

volumetrik wrote:so can someone explain to me about this Prophet 12 since its been all confusing

the Prophet 12 is based on the legendary Prophet VS (same technology) just more control/features and better sound, is that what it is?
Nah has very little with the VS to do, it's more an extension of the Prophet-5/10 with lots of added bells & whistles + digital oscillators with wavetables from the evolver/poly evolver.

Dave says it's his best synth so far, but he'd say that about any new synthesizer to sell it, of course :)

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 am

I would say that this thing being halfway down on page 2 already is probably not a good sign for DSI.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 am

Oh, there's only about 10.15 regular posters on this board, so I wouldn't take that as a gauge for the worldwide interest :P