DSI announces Prophet 12!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: DSI announces Prophet 12!

Post by StepLogik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 am

Damn that p12 sounds good. Really, really good. I can't wait to get mine.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Allthesound wrote:Two new Prophet 12 videos from Peter Dyer. 8-)

Sweeet!!!

:facepalm:
boooooo! booooo! poor Tempest and that roll snare... boooo
:stop:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Hacky mcHackinstein and the Hacktones?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:I'm just really hoping they up the wavetable count. Being able to scan through smoothly them was sorely missed on the PEK, so if they are gonna do that here, I hope they at least give a healthy number of waves to work with (not just 4, or whatever it is stated as now). This of all things should be easy to increase.
I don't really think "wavetable" and "smooth" belong in the same sentence.
If I want a smooth tone I look for a sine wave or some other primitive waveshape.
The strength of wavetables is that they can sound a lot less periodic than a simple modulated square wave or triangle.
Strangely this makes them sound both more realistic and more surreal than regular old VCOs.

PS "Smoove" is not a word. Can everyone stop saying that? It should have died when DJ's started giving up vinyl.

??? Being able to scroll smoothly through wavetables has nothing to do with the sound--I'm talking about smooth transitions from one wavetable to the next, a la waldorf. On the PEK, you couldn't do that.

On another note, that M83 demo was embarrassing. I hope they don't use that as official promo material. Complete generic cack.

Matia's demo, on the other hand = :thumbright:
Do you even post on vse bro?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am

It's the mix/recording on those m83 covers man. Sounds like somebody trying to make supersaws on a commodore 64 because of it. A proper musical demo benefits everyone hand these things off to some f**k producers please.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 am

Supersaws on a Commodore 64 is pretty epic, though. It has 3 oscillators.

Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Post by Allthesound » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:33 pm

tekkentool wrote:It's the mix/recording on those m83 covers man. Sounds like somebody trying to make supersaws on a commodore 64 because of it. A proper musical demo benefits everyone hand these things off to some f**k producers please.
I really like Peter's loose interprutation of Teen Angst and the spirit in which it was made and shared. To me the original sounded too busy & way over produced.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Full-fledged overview available now

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:34 am

Alesis Ion+Korg DW8000=DSI Prophet 12. I mean that in a good way. Seems like a really cool synth, and I like the sound of it. It's making me feel really stupid about selling my DW. I don't think I'll buy one, due to the price, but I look forward to trying one in person.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:21 am

Kenneth wrote:Alesis Ion+Korg DW8000=DSI Prophet 12. I mean that in a good way. Seems like a really cool synth, and I like the sound of it. It's making me feel really stupid about selling my DW. I don't think I'll buy one, due to the price, but I look forward to trying one in person.
It seems like it's really versatile and huge-sounding...And thoroughly digital. I've not heard a single sound from it that sounds "warm and analog." Which is fine. But it's weird when I see comments about how it sounds so "warm and analog" when it really sounds digital in the best ways possible.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:36 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Alesis Ion+Korg DW8000=DSI Prophet 12. I mean that in a good way. Seems like a really cool synth, and I like the sound of it. It's making me feel really stupid about selling my DW. I don't think I'll buy one, due to the price, but I look forward to trying one in person.
It seems like it's really versatile and huge-sounding...And thoroughly digital. I've not heard a single sound from it that sounds "warm and analog." Which is fine. But it's weird when I see comments about how it sounds so "warm and analog" when it really sounds digital in the best ways possible.
Confirmation bias. I'm sure you could show a ton of people sounds from monark or DIVA and say they were analogue and get the "ooh sounds so much better than software" response.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

well it sure sounds 'more analog' than a Solaris, and that's the current standard of 'smoothest digital synth' in hardware these days.

"digital sounding"....CAPTAIN OBVIOUS MOMENT : it can't/won't roll like VCOs do naturally, so why look for that sound here when it's not?
there's TONS of other sounds to be had here, they're clearly great, and if you're obsessive(like me) you get another VCO synth for full-on analog and all that brings

this notion of "my analog polysynth has to be AS ANALOG as anything out there, and as versatile, AND reliable...and cheap!" is all over the internet, and it's sad because it doesn't happen. Maybe it can, but it hasn't yet. Alesis made the last VCO poly and it was a bit rough going for a while. And the jomox Sunsyn. All synths have their good and bad, especially analog polys - it's why hybrids were made to begin with :idea:

for $3k this synth is a nice deal -IF it's done... and free of the beta-like problems of the tetra/tempest or shoddy-knob c**p that plagued the evolver/p8 line
of course Dave is going to say 'my best synth ever' when he unveils a new flagship
so time will tell
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:53 am

I'd be interested to see if they do a single voice version. Though I wonder how they'd name it. "Prophet One" would probably spark all kinds of outrage on the interwebs.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Arddhu wrote:I'd be interested to see if they do a single voice version. Though I wonder how they'd name it. "Prophet One" would probably spark all kinds of outrage on the interwebs.
MoPro?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 pm

They'll just name it Mofo after all the mofos that will buy it.